Juneau timing

kdowneymd

We will arrive in Juneau on Monday July 10 (incidentally my birthday) aboard the Ruby Princess at 11 AM-10PM. I would like to do Harv and Marv whale watching and a helicopter trip to Mendenhall. Would would you recommend for the order of the day. I am thinking going to the glacier first and then late afternoon whale watching may be more relaxing. Given the long daylight hour other suggestions? I wouldn't mind a birthday meal in Juneau for my 63rd. Thank-you

I would do the Harv and Marv whale watching in the morning and a helicopter to Mendenhall in the afternoon. The weather might be a problem with a helicopter in the morning. But on the other hand since your arriving at 11am any fog might burn off by the time you get the helicopter. I like to go the “The Hanger on the wharf” http://www.hangaronthewharf.com/ in Juneau for some Fish & Chips, drink some Alaskan amber and watch the float planes take off and land in the harbor. Tracy's crab shack is an over priced tourist trap, we never go there.

Edited by Eaglecw

Are you only looking at flying Mendenhall Glacier? Not open to any other glacier? IF so, then check what TEMSCO's time's are for the flight you want? Do the same with H&M- what their schedule is.

Are you going back and forth downtown between the tours? Verify the hours of whale watching, sometimes the later schedules are shorter. In my opinion, I don't consider those trips. Time means more sightings.

With an 11am arrival, you'll have to see what's available, first, then figure out what schedule works out best for you. Each of those tours- you need to allow 4 hours each- pretty much takes up your port day with transits and various schedules.

Having just booked the cruise several days ago, I have not fully explored all the options yet. Several reviews mentioned the Mendenhall glacier flight. I am certainly open to other glaciers. Just trying to explore options and thoughts from others more well versed than I

After reading more information my current plan is a 12:15 Taku glacier helicopter excursion and then late afternoon whale watching excursion, 3:30, 4:30 or 5:30. The later two, I thought we could have a nice lunch break

Well that was easy. :) Have a great trip.