Diamond and Caribbean Princess odors

stoneharborlady

Regarding the snippets of talk about sewage odors on the CP, dont mean to beat a dead horse, but was reading some old posts written back in April, and there were several identical references to the same odor on the Diamond. Just thought that was really odd.

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

Hi,

We have read the same thing also and were booked on the Diamond in Oct. 2004

Were thinking of canceling that cruise because of all the negetive coments about the Diamond, The sewage smell being one of them.. I thought this was a new ship..?

Yes, they are both new ships, built in different shipyards. Yet there are many people who have never noticed any odor. I just think it really strange that this was being discussed about the Diamond, and in the next breath it was being said of the Caribbean Princess.

Yuck!

Sewage smells on elegant, brand new ships?

A ghastly situation, especially if one is trapped in a porthole or window equipped or <gasp> inside cabin.

Another argument for balcony cabins!

Could it be that such foul vapours might just be eminating from the poop deck? icon_eek.gif

Flotsam icon_cool.gif and Jetsam icon_wink.gif

Oh yes, I meant to add that to my Diamond review. We noticed mild sewage odors several places on the ship. Between the mid ship stairs walking up the 9th-14th floors, aft side ship deck 14, and again on the 14th floor before walking to the pool area, mildly walking into the Princess Theatre deck 7. It came and went, but it wasn't as bad as some of the previous comments I had read. Trust me, I am not one for nasty smells but these were utterly forgettable and in no way changed our enjoyment of the ship.

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess Alaska

Grand Princess 9/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NancyK:

stoneharborlady - if you find the poop deck - let me know where it is - I'll stay clear of it and we def. won't be meeting there....until July 3rd...... icon_confused.gif NancyK<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

We were on the Diamond the first part of May and never smelled any sewage smells. I roamed all over the ship. So, as has been said some seem to smell it and some do not. It may be that it is totally gone by now.

on ships, even new elegant ships, there are over a thousand cabins, plus public restrooms and washrooms, kitchens, bars, etc. You get the point. As in any building their is plumbing, except, unlike a bldg the waste is pumped directly in sewerage in the street and moves along the waste of these fine elegant grand ships follows a different path, obviously. Some is stored and mixed with chemicals and then dumped. Some are stored until port when they hook up all those lines (not just electricity..) and empty the waste. So that is why once in awhile you get a sniff of watse and odor. It is not a smell that lingers because usually it is dealt with using chemicals.

That said..I have smelled worse on ships in the men's room after some of guys hity the buffet...

Enjoy the cruise and lets not get caught up in the negative things.

Pete...

Hi:

I was the one who was unable to use my balcony (cabin D725) all week on the CP due to sewage smells. I am very tolerant but this was horrible. I sent a letter to Princess on 5/20 and am awaiting a reply. My cousin who is booked in November on the CP called and was told there was a mildew smell due to a leak but that it had been rectified. First I heard of that. What I experienced was definitely not mildew.

All the best,

Lisa

christiansmom

We were on the Diamond in April and every now and then, you would get a whiff of what everyone is talking about. I've been on 15 cruises before and this is the first time I have ever experienced this. It wasn't bad, but you knew it was there. Given that I have never experienced this before, I have to speculate that there is a problem with the sewerage system. Again, not that bad, and surely not bad enough to cancel your trip.

Tropicale

Celebration (3)

Holiday (4)

Ectasy

Destiny

Voyager of The Seas

Paradise

Pride

Conquest

Diamond Princess

Till the Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=1400d3&cdt=2004;4;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

We were on the same sailing as Metla. Never noticed any objectional odors (unless you count my wifes breath after eating escargo). Ship is really beautiful and a huge pleasure to sail on. Go and enjoy. Oh, Metla, how about that odor in the Mazatlan Harbor where the fishing boats depart from...yuck. Hope fishin is good there in your area....let me hear from you.

David (dahego@aol.com)

I was on the CP May 15-22 on the Riviera deck in R736 near the back pool. When we we first boarded the ship and were sitting in Fort Lauderdale I did notice a smell in the hallway as we would walk to our room. I never noticed it in the hallway after that. However, there were times when walking on deck 7 on the promendade I would smell this same smell near the aft. But, somehow, it smelled more like a "fuel" smell than sewage. I never noticed it in our room at all.

Good to hear from you again david. You are right about mazatlan........WOW! Fishing looks good this spring. been a couple of times and did rather well. probably going to wet a line in the morning. hope all is well. when's the next cruise? we're doing sensation out of N.o. in april and rccl (adventure of seas) out of san juan in may.

Tropicale

Celebration (3)

Holiday (4)

Ectasy

Destiny

Voyager of The Seas

Paradise

Pride

Conquest

Diamond Princess

Till the Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=1400d3&cdt=2004;4;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Just got off the Caribbean Princess this morning (5/29/04).

I had read about the "foul odors" prior to our cruise so I kept an eye (actually a nose) out for them.

I believe that I did smell the strange odor that everyone is talking about. It was on the promenade deck (#7) and I am convinced that it is nothing more than the exhaust fumes from the kitchen areas. It did smell a little unusual but was in no way extrordinarily offensive. The exhaust also was slightly warm which also made me think it may have been from the cooking areas.

Ken

Nothing stinky but a few attitudes on Diamond.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

Two MORE open Bookings.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

just off the Caribbean Princess yesterday morning. The only odor I smelled was aft on the Promenade deck or just outside the door to Club Fusion on Promenade deck. This was a minor smell (I would say it was sewage)but hardly compared to the ER where I work. Our cabin was B715 with a balcony and there was no odor there.

I was on the May 1 through 8 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. Like some others here, in some areas and times (I cannot recall it was so mild) we did smell a very faint odor of sewer gas. It never stayed in one particular area, evidentally, or I would have noticed the details a little more, I think.

One day, though, we decided to venture up to the Princess Links to see what that was like, and the smell was awful! I doubt it smelled like that all the time, but I don't know for sure because we only went up there that one time.

It was so windy up there anyway, I don't know who could have golfed with any accuracy even if it didn't smell.

On other areas of the ship, it was never anything to create any fuss about. Have a wonderful time.

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

I smelled sewage on the Diamond last week, but honestly it wasn't all that powerful and and never lasted very long. I have no clue what causes this, but it came and went all over the ship, even on deck once and in my own cabin once. At first I thought my daughter might have forgotten her manners, but when the same odor came back again and again I knew it couldn't be her. Of all the negative things I will say about my Diamond cruise, the stink really wasn't a big deal, but there was an elusive stink here and there.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Archived