Questions about Hampton Inn Plantation

knitdiva

Will be arriving in FLL around 9pm with my DS12. Chose this hotel for the rate I got and the surrounding stores and restaurants. We do not want to go to the beach nor do we want to sightsee. We will be cruising from Miami 2 days later and post cruise staying in Miami one night (basketball game!) and then back to Plantation for a night before flying back home. FLL instead of MIA cause half price direct flight.

Here are my questions. Will the hotel shuttle still be running at 9pm and how do I find it? By that time we will be tired and hungry (the patience of an hungry preteen right in the middle of a growth spurt with his mom trying to figure out the easiest way to get him food and get herself to bed-you get the picture).

Is it safe to walk around the hotel at that time of night? Of course I will be with him, my bed can wait until he's fed. Or better yet any place that will deliver to the hotel at that time? There are quite a few places we could walk to from what I can see on the map but is it safe to do so?

As for getting to POM car service already booked. Same for getting back to Plantation. Don't want to rent a car as I want to enjoy relaxing and stop worrying as soon as I set foot in Florida. I'm trying to "pre-worry" (not a real word, I know) everything ahead of time.

Thanks for helping me turn worry into planning!!

I recently stayed in Plantation, but in the Hyatt Place. You are aware that this is an area more or less outside of Ft. Lauderdale and rather far away from the cruiseterminal in Miami?

I really doubt if any hotel offers a shuttle to the airport, again not real close.

The area felt very safe, but since we had a car we had no problems getting anywhere.

You might consider a hotel either closer to the airport of Ft. Lauderdale of closer to Miami.

I have looked at hotel/transportation/flights ad nauseam for the last 2 weeks.

The only other option I might still consider is going from FLL to the Marriott Biscayne Bay (cause that is where we usually stay) on the night of arrival. But that gets me there after 10pm, there will be very little place to eat aside from room service (which was good the last time we used it) and not much around to walk to for the following day in terms of shopping. Like I said we just want to relax the whole day away pre cruise. There is also the room rate which is quite different. Maybe I should look at what kind of food they have on the plane on Air Canada this time. Last time, wasn't much of a meal unless going business class.

We have already splurged on MSC YC (for my benefit), 2 good basketball tickets (for DS's benefit), car service for our peace of mind. The rest of the time is for relaxing.

Also my son happened to see a few stores and restaurants he likes around the Hampton inn Plantation.

If you guys think my plans are nuts let me know.

Aiming for simple, R&R, don't need much. Want to relax and be carefree and worry free before cruise.

Shuttle schedules can change. so you should call the hotel directly about the times. If the shuttle time doesn't work for you, Uber will be your best bet. Plantation is a busy suburb, so I'm sure you can order a pizza until at least 11PM.

Will be arriving in FLL around 9pm with my DS12.

What is DS12?

Chose this hotel for the rate I got and the surrounding stores and restaurants. We do not want to go to the beach nor do we want to sightsee. We will be cruising from Miami 2 days later and post cruise staying in Miami one night (basketball game!) and then back to Plantation for a night before flying back home. FLL instead of MIA cause half price direct flight.

Here are my questions. Will the hotel shuttle still be running at 9pm and how do I find it?

The hotel shuttle runs until 10:00 PM, so if your flight is on time it will still be running. Once you claim your bags, call the hotel, (954) 382-4500 for a shuttle pickup. It's best if you have cell phone you can send and receive calls, but if you don't there is a bank of phones in baggage claim you can call the hotel.

By that time we will be tired and hungry (the patience of an hungry preteen right in the middle of a growth spurt with his mom trying to figure out the easiest way to get him food and get herself to bed-you get the picture).

Is it safe to walk around the hotel at that time of night? Of course I will be with him, my bed can wait until he's fed. Or better yet any place that will deliver to the hotel at that time? There are quite a few places we could walk to from what I can see on the map but is it safe to do so?

It's about as safe as it gets.

As for getting to POM car service already booked. Same for getting back to Plantation. Don't want to rent a car as I want to enjoy relaxing and stop worrying as soon as I set foot in Florida. I'm trying to "pre-worry" (not a real word, I know) everything ahead of time.

Thanks for helping me turn worry into planning!!

A car service is going to be $85-$90 with Uber being a bit less. Below is one that is based near the Hampton Inn.

Prestige Transportation

Jack - 954-652-9571

https://www.airportshuttledavie.com/

Edited by Lido_Deck

I recently stayed in Plantation, but in the Hyatt Place. You are aware that this is an area more or less outside of Ft. Lauderdale and rather far away from the cruiseterminal in Miami?

I really doubt if any hotel offers a shuttle to the airport, again not real close.

The area felt very safe, but since we had a car we had no problems getting anywhere.

You might consider a hotel either closer to the airport of Ft. Lauderdale of closer to Miami.

FYI...Hampton Inn Plantation has both an airport shuttle that runs until 10:00 PM and a Port Everglades shuttle (one way).

And, yes, I know the OP is sailing from POM.

Lido_Deck

DS12 is Cruise Critic shorthand for Dear Son age 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Doesn't it stand for "Dear Sister," which I have seen repeatedly here. I thought maybe the older brother was the OP.

Here is a short list of acronyms I found. There is a much longer one that exists.

DH - Dear Husband

DW - Dear Wife

DS - Dear Son

DD - Dear Daughter

MIL - Mother-in-Law

FIL - Father-in-Law

IMHO - In my humble opinion

YMMV - Your mileage may vary

MDR - Main Dining Room

The Hampton Plantation has several restaurants that will deliver. Our favorite was a Central American chicken place that was delicious. The kind folks at the desk had all the info. We ate in the breakfast area. The afternoon wine reception was also a treat. Don't know if they still do this, but it was nice and well attended.

Doesn't it stand for "Dear Sister," which I have seen repeatedly here. I thought maybe the older brother was the OP.

It can be either, but in this case, OP referred to herself as "his mom", so I assumed Dear Son.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not very important to the question but I did identify myself as his mom in the first post and about two phrases down I wrote about getting him food and being with him that my bed can wait until he's fed. In the second post I also referred to my son.

As I said, doesn't matter.

For anyone else needing info the shuttle runs until 10pm. Have to call them from the airport, hotel has menus on hand from restaurants that will deliver late.

And if this DM47 can somehow have new batteries installed in herself (my attempt at a joke; sorry long day at work) before the trip she might take her DS12 to Duffy's. He might enjoy it. They are open until midnight.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm sure we will have a wonderful trip.

Not very important to the question but I did identify myself as his mom in the first post and about two phrases down I wrote about getting him food and being with him that my bed can wait until he's fed. In the second post I also referred to my son.

As I said, doesn't matter.

For anyone else needing info the shuttle runs until 10pm. Have to call them from the airport, hotel has menus on hand from restaurants that will deliver late.

And if this DM47 can somehow have new batteries installed in herself (my attempt at a joke; sorry long day at work) before the trip she might take her DS12 to Duffy's. He might enjoy it. They are open until midnight.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm sure we will have a wonderful trip.

You identified yourself in the third person which makes it sound like another person is talking about his mother just like you did above.

"You people" in Canada need to learn to speak English. :rolleyes:

The only other option I might still consider is going from FLL to the Marriott Biscayne Bay (cause that is where we usually stay) on the night of arrival. But that gets me there after 10pm, there will be very little place to eat aside from room service (which was good the last time we used it) and not much around to walk to for the following day in terms of shopping.

I have a bit of good news for you if you decide to do the Biscayne Bay Marriott. In the building right next door to the Marriott is a nice family friendly Restauraunt/Irish Pub on the 9th floor that is locally owned and managed. They have a late night menu from 10:00 PM until 2:30 AM. If your arrival is going to be close to 10:00 PM I think you could call them, order from the dinner menu and they will have it ready when you arrive.

Mike's at Venetia Irish Pub & Restaurant...

http://www.mikesvenetia.com/

Edited by Lido_Deck