Best time to cruise in the South Pacific

It is warm enough to swim pretty much all year. It is very unusual to have more than one ship at a port at the one time, so the issue of 'busy' isn't a factor.

In my opinion the best months would be from the end of March through to October, simply because it is too hot and humid in the middle of summer. Because this is the wet season it is very likely there will be rain.

We've been there in December, March, August and November so far. The only cruise that had perfect weather was the March one - and that was two weeks after cyclone Pam went through. We had heavy rain in Noumea in November, and the odd light shower on the other two cruises.

It's just warm enough to swim in the sea in winter for me, DH is less keen.

So far we've never experienced any overly-busy port stops but all our cruises there have been on smaller ships, around 2000 pax. I also think the demographic of the cruise makes a difference - it seemed busier on our Carnival cruise at the Isle of Pines as there were more younger people and families swimming and snorkelling.

I think the South Pacific is a wonderful place to cruise to in winter. It's so nice to be able to head off to the warm tropical islands to get away from the winter chills.

Unfortunately, only been there over Summer months. More than warm enough; would prefer cooler.

Ports have been very crowded/overwhelmed at that time on the ships over 2000. I think 2000 is a good number for those ports. Any more is too much (aside from the cities like Noumea and Vila).

I've been late April / early May for the last few years and it's perfect for me. Not too hot, the water is lovely, and it's outside of school holidays so not really busy either.

If I couldn't do that time of the year then I'd probably look at October

Is there any time that is a bad time to be on a cruise to the islands? I don't think so, apart from when they forecast a cyclone of course.

Exactly, anytime is good to be on a cruise.

But don't forget those 'fun' winter east coast lows either.

Have been in Feb, March April, May and November. Was able to swim at all times.

Only months I havent been to the South Pacific is May and August.

I think the best weather, which was the dryest, but warm was Jun/July to Tahiti.

Last November Port Denaru and Suva were hot hot hot!!!

I prefer September/October for the South Pacific, less chance of rain, warmer than our winter months for swimming, but nothing is guaranteed, the seas can be rough anytime as well as rain.

Only months I havent been to the South Pacific is May and August.

I think the best weather, which was the dryest, but warm was Jun/July to Tahiti.

Last November Port Denaru and Suva were hot hot hot!!!

I prefer September/October for the South Pacific, less chance of rain, warmer than our winter months for swimming, but nothing is guaranteed, the seas can be rough anytime as well as rain.

Exactly, I think the best time is like you said September /October or even March/April, when the weather is still warm but not too hot and the water hasn't cooled off too much.

Had perfect weather last may/June. Sunshine every day. December just gone, it rained for 3 out of 5 stops. It changed my plans as i feel the cold in the water quite badly and need sunshine when I get out from snorkelling or I struggle to warm back up and need to be back on board for a warm shower and sooner than I would like. My main focus with South Pacific is snorkelling and the beach so was a little disappointed to miss some snorkelling. Just wasn't prepared to turn blue and be cold and shivering for rest of the day. Others said snorkelling was still good on those days.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app