Internet - By The Minute?

PorkChopKid

Can anyone tell me if internet plans on Getaway are still by the minute? We just got off Royal "Anthem" and did two cruises last year on Carnival and not having to track minutes was absolutely WONDERFUL. We purchased a plan for the week and were able to surf to our hearts content WITHOUT tracking how many minutes we were on. I'm hoping NCL has upgraded their system on the newer ships.

They still have per-minute plans, but you can also purchase the unlimited package for the entire length of your cruise. Pricing and other details here.

WOW!!! Was hoping NCL had gotten away from the per Minute plans. Granted, they have the ultimate unlimited but at $30/day thats outrageous. For reference, earlier this month we were on a 12 day Royal cruise and their best package was $107 when purchased online before the cruise. Guess I'll be skipping internet on our upcoming "Getaway" cruise. Thanks for the information....

Is it true that you can pay to upgrade the Free At Sea plan to the unlimited?
Several people have said so, but you won't know for sure until you board your cruise and ask. The internet managers on board seem to be able to do pretty much whatever they want, if they want.

Several people have said so, but you won't know for sure until you board your cruise and ask. The internet managers on board seem to be able to do pretty much whatever they want, if they want.

Exactly, I can confirm that (without disclosing the specific ship) one of our nieces did that in 2015 and again in 2016, on NCL - same ship, "upgraded" to the unlimited plan instead - by paying for the difference. It's not based on NCL's written/stated policies on the product, rather at the internet cafe manager's strict discretion. She asked & a deal was made, it might or might not be repeated.

Without this "upsell" deal they made - there would be no "further" revenue for purchasing any more internet minutes from their family's mini-suite, and, it was mainly for the grand-niece & grand-nephew's social media usage.

Breakaway is the only ship within the NCL fleet that - currently - also offer broadband access by the MB data used, instead of by the minutes or with the unlimited plan for the duration of the sailing (or, less day 1 - must purchase by day 2).

It was noted on a recent post, that there is a free APP by "MTN" available in Android Play Store (has not seen it in Apple's App Store ... yet) called "SpeedNet" (do not confuse it with the website Speednet dot net) to pre-download & install before cruising, if possible - as it is designed to work with satellite broadband services by MTN with the hardware/server on the ship - to optimize web browsing ... essentially via cache & compression, etc. This is something very recent and new.

Edited by mking8288

It was noted on a recent post, that there is a free APP by "MTN" available in Android Play Store (has not seen it in Apple's App Store ... yet) called "SpeedNet" (do not confuse it with the website Speednet dot net) to pre-download & install before cruising, if possible - as it is designed to work with satellite broadband services by MTN with the hardware/server on the ship - to optimize web browsing ... essentially via cache & compression, etc. This is something very recent and new.

Just checked the Apple app store and found it there. I'll probably download it and have it available to try IF I decide to fool with the internet while on the ship. Something tells me that the app might be a little over my head for the simple things I do like WhatsApp, etc. Thanks for the information.....

Just checked the Apple app store and found it there. I'll probably download it and have it available to try IF I decide to ...

Thanks, enjoy your upcoming cruise and if you decide to play, might be worthwhile to post (afterward) a brief view on this new App & how it functioned.

I see the App on my backup iPhone now (Ver 1.3.1) running iOS 9.x but realized that I was using the iPad Mini to look the other day, probably because it might not have been designed nor compatible with iPads, regardless of iOS version or generational status. Also, got that showing on Android Play Store, so when we go on the GEM in May, will "possibly" do it & play, like you said. Don't think the average satellite broadband users are aware of this & NCL's online site hasn't been updated to include this info ... didn't surprise me, one tiny bit.