Peanut Allergy - do they care?

Celine77

I am wondering how knowledgeable/educated are the staff on the Allure about peanut allergies? We've had amazing experiences (at land resorts) where the chef would come out and tell us what is safe for my daughter to eat and experiences at the other end of the spectrum where the servers and kitchen staff have no clue and do not seem to care. Obviously, if it is the latter, I avoid the dish all together, better safe than sorry but it is really disappointing when the staff aren't educated on how to handle people with allergies. What can I expect on the Allure with respect to a peanut allergy?

Our grandson has peanut allergy too.

You can discuss with the Maitre D' or the Headwaiter on embarkation day about your daughter's dietary restrictions. They will provide her a menu for that purpose.

We also make sure that we do not forget to pack his EpiPen.

Edited by easyboy

We were on the Allure in 2012 and one member of our party had an egg allergy.

They were fantastic!! Meals in the dining room were ordered the day before and cooked separately from the main kitchen.

Be aware however that the dining room is the only place where they will guarantee allergy free.

Be aware however that the dining room is the only place where they will guarantee allergy free.

Your comment above. Is both naive and potentially deadly. There is no kitchen that will guarantee to be free of cross contamination.

I don't care where the prep area is located, the risk will always be there.

So the word Guarantee, should never be used when talking about food allergy or cross contamination.

Edited by NJporkroll

They are pretty good but I do get mixed signals...

Some days they say the french fries are fine, then the other days, they mention they purchase it so not sure about the source...safe answers...

Both my kids have peanut allergies and we cruise a lot...knock on wood...no issues so far...

We just got off the Harmony and my daughter in laws mother has a peanut allergy. We told them at the beginning and every place we ate. We never ate in the dining room. At each place if it was something that they made they would let her know it was safe. If it was something that included stuff that was made else where they would let her know that such and such item was pre made and they could not guarantee it. I felt that they we very knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the replies! We will definitely be carrying 2 epi pens with us and will inquire with the staff and inform them of her allergy. We are currently in Mexico at an all inclusive and it's the most bizarre thing - the hostess at each restaurant would ask us if there was any food allergy and we'd tell her and then nothing. No follow up. We'd be left figuring out what might have peanuts, have peanut products (peanut oil) or cross contamination. And when we'd ask, we just got a blank stare. Then why ask me about allergies to begin with? And yet they had some food items labelled as gluten free...🙄

Make sure you ask high enough up the chain of command. On Serenade last year in the Windjammer, I asked someone with a chef neck scarf if the fish salad was tuna. He said yes, so I took a portion for my lunch. A few minutes later a manager tracked me down while I was still selecting food and asked if I had a fish allergy. I said yes, that I was allergic to cod and halibut. He literally GRABBED my plate out of my hands and said 'You can't eat this! It is made with cod!" While I am glad that he prevented me from eating it, I was sad that the first chef I asked didn't give me the correct info.

So lesson learned, be sure to ask the person in charge.

Can't you have that noted in your booking? I thought they always asked me when I booked. We don't have any food allergies, so it's not an issue, but I'm aware that it's a potential problem. I always keep an eye around me so that if someone gets in trouble I can, at least, call for help from the nearest crew member.

Our advice is to be cautious and not take a chance. I (Sherman) have a nut allergy which includes peanuts and other nuts. I make a point of avoiding all breads, rolls and baked products because they purchase their flour in bulk and I have noticed sensitivities when I tried to eat these items...and no, I do not have a gluten allergy! I bring some bread products from home that I know I can eat w/o a problem.

Just my approach that seems to work well...others do what works best for them.

Best wishes.

I posted this a year ago, sharing my own experiences with peanut/tree nut allergies and RCI.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48787734&postcount=22

I'm now 6-for-6 with respect to contacting Special Needs in advance being completely useless. But it's fine, because I have found that I can generally eat anything onboard that doesn't explicitly contain peanut or nut products without incident.

Of course, YMMV with respect to how things play out on board. I am only sharing what I have personally experienced.

Can't you have that noted in your booking? I thought they always asked me when I booked. We don't have any food allergies, so it's not an issue, but I'm aware that it's a potential problem. I always keep an eye around me so that if someone gets in trouble I can, at least, call for help from the nearest crew member.

Yes I believe I did make note of it in my booking however I am not confident that this info gets passed on (if at all) to the relevant people. It's nice to hear that there are considerate people like yourself who keep an eye out for others, thank you so much!

I posted this a year ago, sharing my own experiences with peanut/tree nut allergies and RCI.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48787734&postcount=22

I'm now 6-for-6 with respect to contacting Special Needs in advance being completely useless. But it's fine, because I have found that I can generally eat anything onboard that doesn't explicitly contain peanut or nut products without incident.

Of course, YMMV with respect to how things play out on board. I am only sharing what I have personally experienced.

Wow I just read your post from a year ago and I can't believe that carelessness! My daughter is 4 yrs old. She is anaphylactic to peanuts and of course at her age, will not know immediately the signs to a reaction. She has reacted to items that have been fried or cross contaminated with fryers that have had peanuts in them or use of peanut oil so she is highly sensitive. It scares me that tongs used for PB cookies would be used for other cookies and I am especially scared of buffet areas where people might use serving utensils from another dish. As you said, I will just have to take charge and responsibility for her allergy. Thanks for your input!

Our advice is to be cautious and not take a chance. I (Sherman) have a nut allergy which includes peanuts and other nuts. I make a point of avoiding all breads, rolls and baked products because they purchase their flour in bulk and I have noticed sensitivities when I tried to eat these items...and no, I do not have a gluten allergy! I bring some bread products from home that I know I can eat w/o a problem.

Just my approach that seems to work well...others do what works best for them.

Best wishes.

Thanks Sherman, I definitely will be cautious!

Make sure you ask high enough up the chain of command. On Serenade last year in the Windjammer, I asked someone with a chef neck scarf if the fish salad was tuna. He said yes, so I took a portion for my lunch. A few minutes later a manager tracked me down while I was still selecting food and asked if I had a fish allergy. I said yes, that I was allergic to cod and halibut. He literally GRABBED my plate out of my hands and said 'You can't eat this! It is made with cod!" While I am glad that he prevented me from eating it, I was sad that the first chef I asked didn't give me the correct info.

So lesson learned, be sure to ask the person in charge.

Thanks for the advice to ask the person in charge. It's more than scary to me what could happen and especially being in a ship.

My daughter also has a life threatening peanut allergy. We've been on two RCI cruises. I never felt that contacting Special Needs accomplished anything. They basically just tell you to ask at every location. It would be nice if they had more control or information about the products they serve, but I assume their sources are just not standardized enough.

Our experience varied a lot in terms of how confident I felt in the answers provided by serving staff. When we asked about peanuts at places like Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade we got a) blank stares b) over-confident "No Peanuts" or c) they went to get someone in charge, who usually wasn't too happy about being bothered - but they gave us the answer. I've asked to see ingredients on things too, such as the soft serve "ice cream" and cones. Do what you feel is necessary.

Overall, the main dining room is your best bet for eating [it's usually far superior anyway IMO]. Tell the Maître D' first and foremost [am I mixing up head waiter and Maître D' ?? - whoever the person is in charge of the section where you are sitting is who I am referring to]. They are the ones that usually took care of us. They went out of there way running around to make sure things were safe for our daughter. Our first cruise they were more actively involved than the second, but they were still good. Of course you must inform your head waiter and other servers . I really think it's best that you get the same servers and sit in the same section for dinner every night as well. One major thing about the MDR is that my daughter ordered her dinner for the next day every evening. Then the chef checks it over and OK's it or makes appropriate substitutions [or the head waiter comes back the next evening and tells you that you have to pick something else]. It's then prepared in the safest way they can and bring it out as a special order.

Of course what YOU do makes a difference too. Our lives revolve around avoidance, so for us it's no different on the ships. So we typically avoid getting anything from the Cafes with all the desserts for her, so no pastries or cookies etc. from there. No buffet either. We basically eat at the MDR for breakfast and dinner. Lunch on sea days was usually pizza or a burger for her. Lunch on port days, we bring whatever food we can muster from the ship [some from home] and hope she lasts until we're back for dinner. Typically she's fine. It sucks, but it's the safest choice.

We will be on the Adventure of the Seas this year and I am currently a bit concerned about getting my daughter food from Cafe Promenade (i.e, the pizza since there is no Sorrento's) because I know they serve peanut desserts. So I will probably avoid it altogether unless I am confident that cross contamination is unlikely - but I doubt it.

My biggest concern is always the desserts, even in the MDR. The wait staff/head waiter always indicate what might NOT be safe to eat and usually make something special or suggest what they consider to be safe. I am paranoid about it, especially things like ice cream, but so far we've had no problems. Unfortunately it's never been like Disney where the chef comes out and talks to you and makes the meal in a isolated part of the kitchen. I wish it were.

Edited by docd

I have to agree with many above - you have to be responsible for your own allergy. I always fill out the special needs form and I'm always told to go to MDR upon arrival, etc.

I've stopped doing that -- it's pointless. One cruise, they interpreted my allergies as "all bread". (I have 4 of the "big 7" -- peanuts, tree nuts, seafood and shellfish and all pretty severe.) We do avoid MDR on lobster night as the smell would be enough to cause a problem. Some MDR waiters are great, and some don't know anything about food allergies.

I'm fairly picky about what I eat but I refuse to eat solely in the MDR. I go to the buffet and if something is even in proximity to something I'm allergic to, I just don't have it. It will be elsewhere next time. If it's a dessert that may or may not -- I try to ask, and then DH tries it for me. If he can't tell, then I skip it.

It bugs me that most Cafe Promenade staff will tell you not to eat ANYTHING they offer if you ask about nuts. Ice cream scoopers usually look annoyed if you ask for a clean scoop, not one from the water bucket. (I love ice cream so I'm going to keep annoying them. Especially when the soft serve machines don't work !!)

I don't seek out peanut oil, but when I've had it by accident, I don't react. Allergist said so much of the actual peanut protein is removed by the time it is oil, that I'm ok. (but not to seek out..) I can usually tell immediately if I've had something because my throat will start to close. (Had my birthday cake in MDR one cruise - promised me it was nut free - my throat started to close after 1 bite. Took a benadryl, went to bed early. Was fine the next day.)

I carry 2 pk of Epi Pens EVERYWHERE I go on the ship; and I usually have 2 more boxes back in the room. Thankfully - have never needed them. (A cruise is not the time to find out how fast your companion can run back to the room, when you need the Epi-Pen.)

I have found that if you tell your waiter in the specialty restaurants, they will go out of their way to provide allergen-free food. (Tuscan Grille on Celebrity Summit was PHENOMENAL about this.) From experience, I can also suggest you be wary of any mystery chocolates... seems that some of those "chocolate" dips or sauces -- could be Nutella.

I've heard stories that some chefs will make a batch of completely nut free cookies for you but I've never asked. (that would be awesome though !)

Sandy

I have a tree nut allergy and I haven't been on the Allure but the Oasis a couple times. I've told them when we book and they know when we give them our sea pass when we check in at the restaurant. We do MTD but we have been requesting our waiter for every night when we get a good one. I've found the, very good at telling me what I def can't have and checking when I order, some have me order a day in advance. I would suggest doing the fixed dining times so you're guaranteed the same waiter so you don't have to go through the whole thing every day.

I am a picky eater and take the chance at the WJ but I eat really basic stuff in general lol

For my allergy, I found the most issues with desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In short time they will have you dealing with the head of the deck level of your assigned table. You need not be worried. Yes, they will flag something if it has a "may contain" on its label.

On some occasions they will be able to prepare the meal without added but garnish. For dishes inherently with nuts, such as a friend dessert, you'll be told of this if you inadvertently order. You'll also have the privilege of ordering 24 hours in advance.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do during the Labadee port? the MDR is not open for lunch that day. My son has a peanut allergy.

Are there any definite safes for the windjammer (all meals). For example the milk and cereal i would assume are safe, since they are sealed. We're staying away from all desserts regardless.

I will fore sure be talking to the matre d when we board anyway though.

Thank you