Need advice! Diamonds International misleading!

Vacat!on

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. I attended the shopping forum and was told to go to Diamonds International. We went to the one in St Maarten and thought they were reputable since they were endorsed by the cruise line.

My boyfriend bought me a 1 carat emerald cut ring and we thought it was a good deal. Only to find out now at home that we overpaid and is not worth what we paid. We're in the middle of getting it appraised, but I am beyond upset and totally devestated. I've been reading tons of posts in this website which is a great help, but if anyone has advice on what to do, please let me know. Not a great way to end off our vacation...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

How do you know you over paid if you had not yet received the appraisal? Even with appraisals one must be very leary of what they mean......just think about it. If a store gives you an appraisal for $5000 but you paid $3000 ..you are happy..right??? But if that stone/ring was really worth $5000..why did the store sell it to you for $3000 to begin with! The best thing you can get out of an appraisal is a GIA certification that the carat weight, color, and clarity (imperfections) are correctly graded and the from there you can find ranges of what the stone is worth and what you should have paid.

Also did you know that if you insure a ring for $5000 and you lose it, dont expect a $5,000 check. You have been paying insurance premiums to replace a $5000 but most insurance companies will simply replace the stone based on the appraisal ..carat size..color...clarity.....rarely will you get a monetary payment for its cheaper for the insurance companies to pay the $3000 that the stone is really worth!

Rich in N VA

Yes, how do you know you overpaid without an appraisal? Unfortunately if you did there probably isn't anything you can do. One thing i always do before buying a diamond is make sure it comes with a certification. That's all you really have to fall back on. If you get a ring other than what it is certified as then you have something. Still, being outside the U.S. there's probably nothing that would help.

Diamonds or any precious stones are one of those things I only use personal referenced businesses to purchase from. Large jewelers, especially Mall jewelers are going to say that you are getting an expensive diamond for less, but in reality like the above poster said, they wouldn't be selling you a diamond for that price if it was worth more. You get what you pay for in the Diamond world.

I wish I had something the would help because I have friends who have been taken advantage of with a diamond purchase.

I don't want to add to your misery, but I'm not sure there is much you can do. They stated a price and you paid it. My husband and I decided a long time ago not to buy jewelry while cruising, it is just too hard to resolve any problems that may occur. I know there are a lot of good buys out there, but I have heard more horror stories than good ones on this board. Our only exception has been buying diamonds in Amsterdam or Brussels, but we travel there often enough to make things right, if we need to. Try to look at it this way.....you felt good about the purchase when you bought it....it brings back memories of your cruise (hopefully, wonderful ones). Wear it with pride.

I don't want to add to your misery, but I'm not sure there is much you can do. They stated a price and you paid it. My husband and I decided a long time ago not to buy jewelry while cruising, it is just too hard to resolve any problems that may occur. I know there are a lot of good buys out there, but I have heard more horror stories than good ones on this board. Our only exception has been buying diamonds in Amsterdam or Brussels, but we travel there often enough to make things right, if we need to. Try to look at it this way.....you felt good about the purchase when you bought it....it brings back memories of your cruise (hopefully, wonderful ones). Wear it with pride.

Exactly. Everyone always wants a good deal on whatever it is and have it be high quality too. But, when it comes down to it I compare buying diamonds to buying artwork, which I do a lot of on cruises, art that is. You should never buy artwork based on it's value or price or what you think you could sell it for in the future, you buy it because you think it's beautiful and you love looking at it. Granted I do know when you pay for a Picaso you don't want to get it home and find out it's chicken scratch.

You have to make up your mind that you love it for the price you paid. You can't look back.. finding out you may have overpaid is going to make you hate it. You should just try to enjoy it, and hopefully IF you did overpay it wasn't alot..or maybe you paid what it's worth and you just didn't get the good deal you thought. But it would be even worse to let it sit in a jewelry box because you feel like you got taken. Try to enjoy it and remember the vacation you were on when you bought it.

I have the flip side to the OP's story -

My DH bought me a 2 carat anniversary diamond ring ( 3 stones) at Diamonds International on St.Thomas last February and when we got it home and took it in to be appraised, the appraisal came back at almost DOUBLE what we paid for it!

I would hate to think that Diamonds International is a "hit or miss" store - after all, the cruise line promotes them like crazy.

Additionally, diamonds regularly appraise for much more than what you pay for them. Some places will even guarantee that the appraisal will come in double what you pay.

The bottom line is are you happy with what you purchased? Clearly, at the time you bought it you were and thought you were getting a good price - or else you wouldn't have purchased it. I don't understand how you could be beyond upset.

In general, as with any purchase, if you are not an educated consumer, then you really have no way of knowing if you are getting a good deal.

You obviously liked the ring - why should you be so upset about it because you now find out you may have overpaid for it?

Howard

DI gave you a certificate about the stone, right? In it the cited cut, clarity, color, weight, etc - as well as a dollar price - right?

If you are having it appraised and that appraisal comes back different than what DI certified to you then call your credit card company, cite fraud, dispute the charge, and get the credit card company to credit your card.

You are most likelygoing to have to send the piece back to DI via certified mail, return reciept, and have the reciept signed and in hand, before the credit card company will credit you (it's only fair) but if they really misrepresented the piece to you, then this can be done.

I would think that you can cite fraud if any ONE component (cut, color, clarity, appraised value, etc) of DI's certification doesnt match what your new appraisal does. After all, you purchased the piece BASED on that documentation.

Have you contacted anyone at DI yet? If you can tell them what you told us, and provide an appraisal, maybe they will work with you to resolve the conflict?

If the appraisal comes back significantly lower than the price you paid, I would at least let RCCL know...since Diamonds Int'l. is one of their "guaranteed" stores. A few years ago, I bought a gold quartz & diamond ring at one of Celebrity's recommended stores in Sitka, Alaska...on the last sailing of the season. It wasn't a terribly expensive piece of jewelry (about $500 as I recall), but I really liked it.

A few weeks after I got home, the stone chipped. Of course by then the store in Sitka had closed for the winter, so I thought I was stuck. I contacted RCCL and they put me in touch with the store owner at her winter address. She called and told me to send the ring to her...and in less than two weeks, it was back on my hand. The only difference was that the new stone is larger and higher quality than the first!

I would also encourage you to send an email to RCI with all the pertinant information about your purchase (cite DI's appraisal and your own independant appraisal) and ask them to help you - after all, DI is a HEAVILY promoted store by RCI.

I dont agree with previous posts - I think Diamonds International IS a hit or miss store.

I always do some research on the stone I want before I go on a cruise so that I am well aware of what is and is not a 'bargain'. I have never found anything at DI that I would consider a bargain (but, admittedly, I dont look at every piece in the store)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Vacat!on

Just curious, if you had a friend who owns an accredited jewerly store that deals in diamonds, why didnt you buy the diamond from the friend in the first place? Im asking the question but I personally could think of two reasons, 1) spur of the moment purchase and you liked what you saw at what you thought was a fair price if not a bargain, and 2) you want to keep business and friendship separate. Both are vaild reasons (especially the latter). Unless you bought a CZ and it was sold as a diamond (which I highly doubt) I cannot imagine the apprised retail price to come in for less than what you paid. Your jewler friend was most likely inferring if you came to me I could have sold this ring at a cheaper price....which may be true but then you would NOT have the "RUSH" associated with the spur of the moment purchase and im certain all that acccompanies it while on a carabbean cruise, and you would have violated principle #2 above. If neither mattered to you and your boyfriend, you would have gone to then jeweler friend in the first place. Enjoy what you have......sounds like you certainly have a story to tell about your latest cruise.

BTW: ...was this an engagement ring!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich in N VA

As sson as you get an appraisal, contact Royal Caribbean. Since it's a guranteed store they will tell yo what procedure to follow to get a refund if the stone is not what it's supposed to be. If you paid by credit card, notify the credit card company that you will not honor the charge. Keep in mind that diamond grading is subjective. A difference of 2 colors grades or 1 clarity grade is considered acceptable. If your independent appraisal differs significantly from how the stone was represented to you by the store you are within your rights to return it. Don't listen to the people that tell you thre is nothing that you can do as this is not correct. The quality of art work is largely a matter of opinion. The quality of diamonds is based on precise measurments. If you paid for a stone of a particular quality and you did not get such a stone you should get your money back.

Emeralds are tougher to purchase then diamonds. IMO, I would never purchase one without understanding the emerald market and have a lot of $$ to spend on a good stone. I have gotten relatively good deals at DI (including one very good one on a very nice tanzanite), but I don't think I'd ever buy an emerald there. I've seen so many people on cruises showing off their not-very-good quality emeralds who believe they got a great deal. My DH and I spoke with a customs agent a few years ago who said they see more issues with poor/phony emeralds coming through customs than any other stone. Also, beware all the heat treated stones being passed off as something they are not.

I agree with SUPERJERRYW in that if your CIA appraisal description (ie carat weight, color, clarity) is vastly different than what was sold to you, you have a case to make ...but I was under the impression you were more concerned about the "price" you paid, NOT the specific features of the stone.

Rich in N VA

and there is also one more point here. If you plan to make a major purchase on a cruise, like a diamond, do some comparison shopping BEFORE you cruise, that way you will have some idea of how much the same thing will cost near your home(you can also do some checking on the internet before you go)....walking in blind overseas just makes it easier for you to be taken. I also don't think that buyers regret will be a good reason for your cc company to turn back the charge...good luck I hope you get some satisfaction from the buyers guarantee. Have you gone to the DI website or RCCI and seen the guarantee they do offer?

try this they have a number to call

http://www.shopdi.com/customerservice.cfm?by_cat=true&by_mat=true&page=main

DI gave you a certificate about the stone, right? In it the cited cut, clarity, color, weight, etc - as well as a dollar price - right?

If you are having it appraised and that appraisal comes back different than what DI certified to you then call your credit card company, cite fraud, dispute the charge, and get the credit card company to credit your card.

I was curious how well I did on a purchase we made at Columbian Emeralds in Nassau. I took my emerald pendant to a gemologist to have him appraise it. What is quoted above is basically what he told me. He added that many people come back from the Caribbean spending too much money on a gem and have buyers remorse. You cannot claim fraud if you paid too much. You can only claim fraud if they misled you on the quality of the gem.

How do you know you over paid if you had not yet received the appraisal? Even with appraisals one must be very leary of what they mean......just think about it. If a store gives you an appraisal for $5000 but you paid $3000 ..you are happy..right??? But if that stone/ring was really worth $5000..why did the store sell it to you for $3000 to begin with! The best thing you can get out of an appraisal is a GIA certification that the carat weight, color, and clarity (imperfections) are correctly graded and the from there you can find ranges of what the stone is worth and what you should have paid.

Also did you know that if you insure a ring for $5000 and you lose it, dont expect a $5,000 check. You have been paying insurance premiums to replace a $5000 but most insurance companies will simply replace the stone based on the appraisal ..carat size..color...clarity.....rarely will you get a monetary payment for its cheaper for the insurance companies to pay the $3000 that the stone is really worth!

Rich, thanks for clarifying what an appraisal really means, plus I have one thing to add: just because a peice of jewelry or perhaps a piece of art is appraised at a figure does not mean you can find someone to pay that amount. You have to locate the person who really wants the item and is willing to pay the appraised price: quite unlikely!!! NMnita

Emeralds are tougher to purchase then diamonds. IMO, I would never purchase one without understanding the emerald market and have a lot of $$ to spend on a good stone. I have gotten relatively good deals at DI (including one very good one on a very nice tanzanite), but I don't think I'd ever buy an emerald there. I've seen so many people on cruises showing off their not-very-good quality emeralds who believe they got a great deal. My DH and I spoke with a customs agent a few years ago who said they see more issues with poor/phony emeralds coming through customs than any other stone. Also, beware all the heat treated stones being passed off as something they are not.
I am not sure if the OP said he purchased an emerald cut diamond or an Emerald for her. Either way, I do think letting RCI know would be a good move even if nothing can be done. I notice one other thing, she mentioned her friend said "she may have overpaid" not she did. So OP wait til the appaisal comes back, then as someone said, if you really overpaid let RCI know. NMnita

Reading through this thread, two things come to mind:

1. IMHO any deals down in the Caribbean, for the most part, ended in the 1980's. There were SOME deals to be found then, but very rarely now --- for, if you don't buy their good today, they know that 5 more ships with @10,000 pax will be visiting their island tomorrow!

2. Appraisals for the most part are only an "ego rub" for the buyer -- i.e., makes one feel that they've gotten a deal. When that $1500 stone is appraised back home for $2,500, ask the jeweler if he'll take it off your hands for $2,000, and see what he says. Bottom line>>>It's only really worth what someone else is willing to pay for it!!

On the back of the "Discover Shopping" guide there are instructions on who to contact if you're not happy with your purchase. The last sentance on the instructions reads "To expedite your claim, please incluse the store name,. date of purchase, copy of receipt, any relevant documents, and a written description of the claim to ONBOARD MEDIA, 960 ALTON ROAD, MAIMI BEACH, FL 33139. It also lists a web site of www.onboard,com."

Good luck, and let us know how it works out...

--Tom

Archived