How to watch Harmony sail away?

radlad68

We stayed at a Bahia Mar on the A1A and walked down the beach to the breakers.

It was a bit of a walk but worth it if you really want to see the ships up close.

South Beach Park is about the closest public parking area, maybe a little less than a mile walk.

Edited by matj2000

The north side is definitely better, and if you are on 17th, it's a fairly long drive to get to the south side of the channel. All the way up to US1, past the airport, back around, etc.

The north side is more of an experience and a ton of fun. When Harmony starts sailing by, that beach area actually recedes all the way back and you can walk out a good 150 feet. It's REALLY cool.

I'd just take an Uber to the gate/entrance over there. If not, there is limited street parking where I circles on the left.

It's been a long time since I've gone there, I can't promise the gate isn't closed/private. You can also just park at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park and walk down. About a 30 minute walk. Which is about the same as the drive to the south side from 17th anyways :)

harmony_viewing.png

Edited by BNBR

I've searched without much luck about watching the Harmony sail away from the beach. We'll be at a hotel on 17th, is it far from there?

Thanks!

Anjie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's 1 mile from the Hyatt Pier 66 to the jetty, I can post a map link if you like.

This is the best way to get there if you're walking with sidewalks on the majority of this trip. There is limited parking nearby.

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=8234E809-BB7F-195D-E9E6F2BD2F646A87

Edited by BillOh

The north side is definitely better, and if you are on 17th, it's a fairly long drive to get to the south side of the channel. All the way up to US1, past the airport, back around, etc.

The north side is more of an experience and a ton of fun. When Harmony starts sailing by, that beach area actually recedes all the way back and you can walk out a good 150 feet. It's REALLY cool.

I'd just take an Uber to the gate/entrance over there. If not, there is limited street parking where I circles on the left.

It's been a long time since I've gone there, I can't promise the gate isn't closed/private. You can also just park at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park and walk down. About a 30 minute walk. Which is about the same as the drive to the south side from 17th anyways :)

harmony_viewing.png

The gate is still open and the walkway accessible as of the first week of January.

We saw 3 ships sail out. A Carnival, Indy and then the Harmony. Amazing how much further the waters receded and how much more powerful the incoming rush of water was for the Harmony as compared to the Indy.

The gate is still open and the walkway accessible as of the first week of January.

We saw 3 ships sail out. A Carnival, Indy and then the Harmony. Amazing how much further the waters receded and how much more powerful the incoming rush of water was for the Harmony as compared to the Indy.

Good to know. This is definitely the place to go and watch cruise ships.