Passengers Pushing Back

The time NCL said no bringing food back to your cabin which was later rescinded.

Good because I violated it, they also say you can't bring food on board... from ports, I did that too, probably plastic bags they never knew the difference... this is allowed on Princess, Celebrity, Cunard so donot get NCL rule. Like food I got in port better than what was served on board... new ahead of time NCL, not my favorite line.

I think there may be one in the making (I hope) on HAL with the elimination of traditional piano bar and replacing with the dueling pianos concept. I've seen a bunch of comments lamenting the change but not sure how much "push back" there will be.

The change from participation to passive entertainment seems to be a larger trend in cruising that might be involving many different areas that could trigger push back - or not. Some things are going to change whether we (experienced cruisers) like it or not as new generations of cruisers enter the market. The one most likely to cause push back first will be money related - any perceived lowering of cruising value.

I absolutely hate the dueling pianos. Now, if they ever take off the Lincoln Center musical groups or the Microsoft training center, I stop cruising on HAL.

DON

They weren't removed. The price of drinks were increased to include the tip amount. You still ended paying that tip, only now it was in part of the cost of a more expensive drink. You saved nothing in the end.

Yes, people realised that, but Brits are used to seeing one price only, however expensive, and can't always grasp the concept of something being added on top.

They weren't removed. The price of drinks were increased to include the tip amount. You still ended paying that tip, only now it was in part of the cost of a more expensive drink. You saved nothing in the end.

Yes, people realised that, but Brits are used to seeing one price only, however expensive, and can't always grasp the concept of something being added on top.

It's the same when RCI and Celebrity come down under, the drink prices when in our region include the gratuities. Also they are now including the daily gratuities in with the fare, which is something Carnival, Princess and P&O Australia have been doing for some time.

We do not select by cruise line.

If we are unhappy with the cruise line or ship we vote with our feet and with our wallets.

On a recent Princes cruise we simply passed on the $12 pub grub.. Same on an RCI cruise in Australia where there prices for drinks was outrageous. We are Diamond level on RCI. We took advantage of the lounge but purchased very little alcohol in the bars and MDR on that ship.

On HAL we seldom order the wine. Poor selection except at higher end and I find that it is overpriced compared to other cruise lines.

It's the same when RCI and Celebrity come down under, the drink prices when in our region include the gratuities. Also they are now including the daily gratuities in with the fare, which is something Carnival, Princess and P&O Australia have been doing for some time.

I have mixed feelings about including all the gratuities in the fare. In a way, it would be more convenient. And it would prevent people from removing the gratuities for selfish reasons. On the other hand, I have purchased several cruises during promotions that included "free" gratuities. Although I am certain that for those promotions the base price is higher to compensate for the "free" whatevers, it is psychologically satisfying to have such "free" benefits even though subconsciously I know there really aren't free.

Either way, I know full well that we are paying the crew's wages, whether as gratuities paid separately, gratuities included as a "free" benefit, or no gratuities at all because they are being paid a so-called "fair wage" (whatever that means) due to higher cruise fares. It actually really doesn't matter to me how it is done, because they have to be paid in one way or another, and the passengers are the ones who are paying those wages - as well as paying the cost to build the ship, to maintain the ship, to purchase fuel, etc.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Fascinating, did not know that, Jocap! Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn

We were away when this was posted, so I've only just seen it, but there was another time when CC helped to change things:

RCI and Celebrity had started using Southampton in the UK. Many tried, but were unhappy with the tipping on drinks, so they were removed; then many were used to having a kettle in their cabin- kettles were added.

The problem with adults of 18 not being allowed to drink alcohol was next, and RCI wondered whether to allow this with a signature of a guardian.

A CC administrator from the UK page told them that 18 yr olds are adults, so cannot have a guardian.

RCI/Celebrity changed their rules, so now all adults of 18 yrs can drink alcohol.