Noro on Sun Princess

Noro can be contracted by someone vomiting close by. If that happens close to you then you need to skidaddle.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20150819/norovirus-can-go-airborne-when-infected-person-vomits-study

Interesting article.

It is if the person vomits, but it is not carried on the breath.

Not that I was tempted in any way but I will try to avoid anyone's vomit then.

But I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to stay in the cabin if that is the only symptom. I often get transitory tummy discomfort that has nothing to do with noro.

I would think if someone is sick enough to upchuck, some cabin time might be best course of action.

parents still in isolation in hospital after getting off ship very sick...more no.s starting to roll into hospitals...when they got off the ship even customs people were wearing masks...appears the sicker people were held back until later to get off..this is a good practice but distressing . When not advised of what is going on...unusual for customs to wear masks at disembarkation if only a few people effected:confused:

noro virus can present as severe tummy cramping vomiting and diarrhoea with sometimes a week or more life cycle that requires isolation as it can be extremely contagious...environment has to be cleaned thoroughly.ships have sanitizing programs in place for the known case outbreaks...and general places on board that people congregate in...concerns re cleanliness were voiced by ship personnal in the first fire drill on boarding....

parents still in isolation in hospital after getting off ship very sick...more no.s starting to roll into hospitals...when they got off the ship even customs people were wearing masks...appears the sicker people were held back until later to get off..this is a good practice but distressing . When not advised of what is going on...unusual for customs to wear masks at disembarkation if only a few people effected:confused:

I hope they recover soon.

I don't think I have seen masks on the customs/ immigration people since swine flu was prevalent.

I don't think I have seen masks on the customs/ immigration people since swine flu was prevalent.

It sounds awful for those affected. Hope they recover quickly.

Our Celebrity Equinox cruise had delayed boarding in Barcelona after multiple noro outbreaks. We were in Aqua and there is a doorway direct to the gym which had the main doors closed for deep cleaning. We stumbled upon all the crew there wearing full hazmat gear. They looked shocked to see us but the 'secret' door wasn't looked. Clearly thought the gym to be a major source of the problem.

We were in China during the SARS outbreak. On the flight back to Sydney all passengers were given masks although not everyone wore them - we did. We were also questioned by quarantine officers as to our general health as we disembarked. Cough? Fever? etc

Well, there must be something going on on the Sun. Just got this email from Princess.

Please be advised that during the current cruise there were elevated case counts of gastrointestinal illness among guests confirmed to have

been caused by norovirus. A comprehensive sanitation program was launched in response, and Sun Princess will undergo a prolonged and

additional disinfection in Brisbane on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 5:30 PM and your stateroom will

be available shortly thereafter. Please do not arrive earlier than 5:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation. To minimize terminal

congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

5:30 PM - Baja Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with B

6:15 PM - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E

7:00 PM - Caribe & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & P

7:30 PM - Aloha & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & R

All guests must be aboard by 8:00 PM. Sun Princess is expected to depart Brisbane at 9:00 PM.