Rome Tours

gatour

We are contemplating shore excursions. One is a 10 hour tour of Rome and the descriptions says...Guests must be able to walk 3.5 miles over even, uneven and cobblestone surfaces with approx. 100-steps and extended periods of standing.

I imagine the steps are the Spanish steps included in the tour. My question is Do you think the 3.5 miles are in one continuous loop through Rome after being dropped off by the bus. Or will the bus make multiple stops and the aggregate will be 3.5 miles. If it is the latter could someone stay on the bus (or nearby) while the rest of the party, takes that segment of the tour.

The reason for my question, is one member of our party claims not being able to walk long distances. Although her fitbit says she does a lot of steps during the day. I am thinking that if the walking is broken up in increments it would be doable for her.

The excursion is Discover Renaissance Rome through RCCL

Very few of us are going to be familiar with every single tour. Can you copy the full tour description? And/or post this on the RCL forums are you'd be more likely to find someone there who's taken this exact excursion.

It's likely that both the distance walked and the steps are cumulative (e.g., I doubt the Spanish steps are the only steps you'll encounter over the course of a day). Rome is crowded, hilly (lots of up- and downhill walking), and the cobblestones in the historic piazzas are tough on the feet. If you're going in summer, when it can be very hot and humid, it's even more tiring.

Wow.

Nor did I expect someone to be familiar with every single tour. But based on my experience, various cruise lines offer similar types of tours for a particular port. So was just hoping for some insight and guesses on what to expect. Anyway here is the description of the tour...

OVERVIEW

Discover architectural and artistic treasures of the Italian Renaissance at leading sights in the Eternal City. Visit such landmarks as the Spanish Steps, the Baroque-style Trevi Fountain and the ancient Pantheon, converted to a church where great artists like Raphael are buried. Follow your guide to Piazza Navona, with its elaborate fountains, before you proceed to Campo De’ Fiori a lively square of Rome thanks to its daily vegetable market which was settled here in 1869! Here after guide's commentary, you will have approximately 60 minutes free time to enjoy lunch on your own and to explore the surrounding area. After your free time, you’ll meet your tour Guide at a designated time and place and proceed to St. Peter's Square in the Vatican, where you’ll have some free time to explore on your own and you can opt to go inside the lavishly decorated St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world. CV11

HIGHLIGHTS

Renaissance Treasures: Visit iconic landmarks including the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and tombs of great artists in the ancient Pantheon.

Campo De’ Fiori: Admire Baroque-style buildings and fountains and enjoy lunch during an hour of free time at this lively square.

St. Peter’s Square: Enjoy free time at leisure to shop or independently explore St. Peter’s Basilica.

WHAT TO BRING

SeaPass card and photo identification

Camera

Cash/credit cards

Sun protection

WHAT TO WEAR

Conservative attire

Walking shoes

Hat and sunglasses

IMPORTANT NOTES

This tour is not offered for guests inter-porting in Rome. Guests must be able to walk 3.5 miles over even, uneven and cobblestone surfaces with approx. 100-steps and extended periods of standing.

Guests in wheelchairs and those with other mobility challenges should not select this tour. Lunch is at guest’s own expense during the free time at Campo De’ Fiori

The drive between Civitavecchia and Rome is approximately 90 minutes, depending on traffic. At St. Peter's Basilica, the guide(s) will discuss its significance and features outside. Guests may opt to visit inside on their own for set amount of time.

Guests are advised that long queues to enter St. Peter’s Basilica are to be expected. A strict dress code is enforced in St. Peter’s Basilica.

Short pants, tank tops and revealing clothing are not acceptable and guests wearing these items may not be allowed to enter. Access to the St. Peter’s may be restricted when mass is taking place and it may be closed without notice for security reasons.

These safety precautions are beyond the control of the local tour operator. Please note that due to the Jubilee Year, special celebrations and events will take place at St. Peter’s Basilica: overcrowding and possible closures at any given time and with no previous notice should be expected-.

Guests may be required to check large bags, backpacks, video cameras, and/or personal water bottles at designated checkpoints. Most stores, except souvenir shops, are closed on Sundays and public holidays.

Tour order may vary.

Should the designed motor coach drop off / pick up point for St. Peters Basilica be congested or unavailable, an alternative drop off / pick up point location will be used. Please note that an additional walking portion of 0,6 miles from / to the alternative location should be considered

Please be aware that ongoing restoration/ maintenance work is often being carried out at the various venues visited.

RESTRICTIONS

Most stores, except souvenir shops, are closed on Sundays and public holidays.

ADVISEMENTS

I didn't mean anything -- I actually did go to RCL site and try to look up the tour but the site was down. :cool: "Renaissance Rome" could encompass a lot of different sites, difficult to tell about the walking without knowing where they are taking you....

Having said that, it seems to me that they plan to drop you off at the Spanish Steps and from there it appears you will be following your guide on foot until you reach Campo dei Fiori and your free time/lunch break.

It's unclear whether you will then reboard your bus and drive to St. Peter's or whether you will walk there. But that's the only place where you might get a ride, I think.

Might want to look at a non rccl tour, we did Rome with Rome in Limo, with just 6 people at about 100 per person much more freedom to alter tour, also much nicer ( we were on RCCL ship) , we did thousand of steps in Vatican and coliseum . You can always check roll call to get extra people, we did all private tours except for Capri which was a RCCL tour

Thanks cruisemom42 and George C,

My wife and I are in our early 50's, and if it was just me and here this would be a no brainer. However we are traveling with my MIL and her siblings and their spouses for a traveling party of 9 people. We had an excursion meeting on Sunday, So I had picked out likely excursions, only to find out during the meeting one aunt has feet issues. Thus my question about walking distances. However my wife informed me that the Aunt is question is somewhat a hypochondriac, and my wife and in-laws are in a fitbit group where they share steps walked. The Aunt in questions seems to take many steps, that belies her actual limitations according to my wife.

I will relay this information to my wife.

There is a 5 hour tour that I am guessing you ride around in a bus. Based on my research, it is 1 and 1/2 hours each way from the port to Rome, so the actual seeing the sights is only two hours long. I am not flying overnight to Europe to just spend two hours actually in Rome. Perhaps we will send them on their way and me and my wife and perhaps MIL do on of the longer tours.

In regards to booking a private tour, if I have been to a port previously and gotten a "feel of the lay of the land" I definitely consider booking my own thing. However, since I have never been to Rome, and if we do a long tour that will take up most of the docking time, I feel more comfortable booking the excursion through the cruise line. That way, if the bus is late in arriving back to the port, the ship knows the bus is running late as the bus is in contact with RCCL reps. We actually had this happen in Belize

I understand your apprehension about private tours, but before you make a decision, I invite you to do some reading on this forum and also on cruiseline specific boards. You'll find that European tour operators that are recommended here are extremely reliable. It's not like the casual attitude in the Caribbean. I've been reading/responding on these boards for ten years and can only think of 1-2 incidents where passengers on a reputable private tour ever reported missing the ship.

Plus, you'll get much more out of the day, guaranteed, than if you go on a large bus tour.

At any rate, think about it. And if you still aren't comfortable, then take the LONGER tour and send your non-walkers on the shorter one. I agree -- you don't go to Rome to spend only 2-3 hours in the city.

Rome in limo. has a great track record and there tours are so much nicer and cheaper than ship tours, read trip advisor reviews, but I do understand the safety blanket of booking RCCL but tours in general over crowded and over priced, have a great cruise, Also loved Papillion for Florence