rmrcpa

rmrcpa

Anyone have experience with Viking Ocean Cruises Air services? We normally arrange for business class and as few stops as possible for all of our over seas travels. We are in our 70's and find these long flights are more tolerable with a seat that lies down totally flat and that has a minimum of stops (getting off and on).

Today is the 75 day before our trip and Viking promised that our air info would be posted no later than today: Nothing there. We are concerned because we once were booked with two stops on a business class flight that was less than up to business class standards for these long flights.

Thanks for your response: rmrcpa

Have your travel agent contact Viking Air service. If you booked direct with Viking contact the air service directly. They will get you taken care of. I suspect the flights have been booked but somehow didn't get posted to the My Viking Journey site.

Our very recent experience (we returned from a West Indies cruise today!) has taught us that if you are not happy with the flights you are allocated, you should contact Viking. We didn't as we thought we had no choice - only to discover after an horrendous journey, that others had changed the flights they were originally given...'Flyer beware!'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Viking offers something they call Air Plus. It costs $50 per person and it allows you to talk with Viking and have some say over your flights. It is not available on all itineraries (those that begin or end in Bergen, Burma and a couple of others). After the third trip of using the Air Plus, it is free. There is also a time limit when it can be elected (not available $65 days or less before departure). Read about Viking Air Services on their website.

To be clear, using Air Plus does not give you an unlimited choice of flights at the air fare you booked. If you want unlimited choices, you may have to pay more to get the flights that you want. If you want to arrive early or fly out late, you will have to pay more.

Personally, I have used Custom Air every time I have flown with Viking and I am really glad that I have. I'm already paying a lot for my vacation even if I have gotten a good deal on the airfare, so paying another $100 is a drop in the bucket to assure that avoid as much of the hassle of flying as possible -- middle of the night rides to the airport, layovers that are too long or too short, arriving late in the day on arrival day, etc.

If you are working with a TA (travel agent) then they will have to make the call to Viking Air.

Do your homework before you talk with Viking Air. Check out one the big online travel sights to see what the flights are from your home airport and have an idea which you find acceptable and which you don't. It just makes the whole process that much easier--and much less full of surprises.

I booked my cruise rather late (45 days in advance) and paid for the air. I looked up what flights I liked and was going to contact them with suggestions and they sent me a flight schedule before I could. I immediately called them, mentioned my concerns and told them of the flight I had found. The rep looked online and found me an even better flight. We are only going coach.

I would say if you really wish to have a specific flight, it might be better for you to book yourself and then get travel insurance to cover the unlikely situation that you don't make it to the ship on time. If you always arrive days early, you don't even have to worry about that.