Alaska Cruise - Internet and Cellular

davestic

Hi Folks,

We're taking a 10 day Alaska cruise, round trip out of San Francisco.

I want to get your feedback on internet access / cellular reception. Whats your experience using your data plan or the cell - coverage issues? The pricing for Wifi on ship is expensive so we want to explore alternatives from those who have done it :)

Thanks!

David

In 2014 we did a round trip out of Seattle. We have Sprint and coverage was ok in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan...typically 3G or slower so, not fast for uploading photos. Our unlimited data and generous talk/text package was fine in the Alaskan ports. We had a special add-on (on month) for Canada to cover us for voice and text in Victoria and the Canadian portion of the WPYR (Fraser, Carcross). No extra charges although, we didn't really call and text, just data use for Facebook, etc.

On board ship, we bought internet packages (twice) which is when I tended to upload photos, etc. We used that access for two phones and a laptop. At that time, internet access was sold in packages of differing amount of hours and incurred the costs you mentioned in your post.

Hi Folks,

We're taking a 10 day Alaska cruise, round trip out of San Francisco.

I want to get your feedback on internet access / cellular reception. Whats your experience using your data plan or the cell - coverage issues? The pricing for Wifi on ship is expensive so we want to explore alternatives from those who have done it :)

Thanks!

David

Major US cellular carriers provide decent coverage in the major cruise ports (Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, Ketchikan, Anchorage, etc.). If your cruise ship is docked next to the wall in Skagway, you may have to leave the ship to good reception. Of course, use of a cell phone while not in port can be very expensive as it uses the ship's cellular service with a very steep surcharge.

If you want to find WiFi on shore, ask any crew member because that is where they go to keep in touch with home. Here is a link for Alaska that may be helpful:

http://www.wififreespot.com/alk.php

If your cruise ship is docked next to the wall in Skagway, you may have to leave the ship to good reception.
Hmmm... I've never heard anything about this wall. Could you share where it is (i.e., State Street, Broadway or Congress Way)?

Verizon's coverage map in Juneau shows a dead zone that pretty much matches the border of the port area, and shows most of the frontage area in Ketchikan (including the docks) with no coverage, but shows full coverage all the way to the water in Skagway. (See below.)

Between the wall and how carefully it seems that these blacked-out coverage areas were drawn, it almost seems a deliberate attempt to preclude accessing cell service from docked cruise ships!

Verizon Wireless Coverage

Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, respectively:

attachment.php?attachmentid=403531&stc=1&d=1486821505

VZCoverageAK2017_compressed.jpg.bbfefb4f8bfedacf32e7d68f815f4c17.jpg

I am hoping to hear good things in this thread about Verizon cellular service in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. :)

Great coverage in town, as is typical in AK. When you get out of town things get spotty and then die completely. In most areas you will have 4G or LTE.

Hmmm... I've never heard anything about this wall. Could you share where it is (i.e., State Street, Broadway or Congress Way)?

Verizon's coverage map in Juneau shows a dead zone that pretty much matches the border of the port area, and shows most of the frontage area in Ketchikan (including the docks) with no coverage, but shows full coverage all the way to the water in Skagway. (See below.)

Between the wall and how carefully it seems that these blacked-out coverage areas were drawn, it almost seems a deliberate attempt to preclude accessing cell service from docked cruise ships!

Verizon Wireless Coverage

Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, respectively:

attachment.php?attachmentid=403531&stc=1&d=1486821505

When you have been to Skagway you will understand Crew News reference to 'the wall' At the end of Congress Way is the railroad dock and a rock cliff where ships' crews have painted their emblems and dates. EM