Loaner wheelchairs

BS102

I am going on Mercury next week and Splendour next month. I have developed a very painful back problem. I will probably get a wheelchair eventually if I don't get some relief. Do Cruise ships in general (and these two ships specificly ) provide loaner wheeelchairs on board?

I can help you with the general parts of your question. Similar to you I also have back problem and cannot walk or stand for long. Some cruiselines are more generous about their loaners. On Princess you can reserve a wheelchair for the whole cruise and use it off the ship in ports, but you have to reserve it early there is a limited amount available. On some other lines you can do this but you are not allowed to leave the ship with them.

You should talk to your TA or call the cruise line yourself to find out what their policy is. The only other advise I can give would be to make sure you let the cruiseline know that you will need a wheelchair for embarkation. It is usually a long walk and lots of standing for boarding. Very definately not for anyone with back problems.

I solved my problem by buying a used wheelchair just for cruising. I am lucky I can drive to my cruises so I just throw the chair in my car along with my luggage.

Another idea for you to think about is I know there are companies that will rent a wheelchair or scooter for cruise pax. Sorry I don't have much more info on this but I am sure that someone here can give you the info. You might try asking on the handicapped board if you haven't already done that.

Hi, we have a friend that solved this problem by renting a companion wheelchiar, it is a bit smaller with smaller wheels and fits easier in the cabin and on the balcony if need be. She used it for her husband and was able to navigate well on the ship with it. Hope this helps.

Cori

As of 6/03 Celebrity (Mercury) did not allow wheelchairs off the ship. You could borrow them for shipbord use only. I know first hand because we did the Mercury for Alaska then and hubby needed one. As it happened he passed away less then 3 months later.

As for Carnival, I am unsure of their policy as when we sailed them he did not need it.

I am disabled and I can tell you, DO NOT assume you can use the wheelchairs on the ships. First of all, they don't have many to go around and prefer to have them for emergency purposes only, plus the chairs on the ships are in pretty bad shape.

Rent your own chair or scooter. There are places in Ft Lauderdale that will deliver and pick up at the ship.

Here's one link http://www.scootaround.com

Wow - our experience was totally opposite. When cruising out of Galveston on the Rhapsody, my MIL (bad knees) got out of the cab and into a wheelchair that was right there where the van let us out. The baggage porter brought it over for her.... then used it while in line to check in and the customer service lady told her to use it for the cruise. So on the ship it went with her in it.... she used it all week. When tendering in Grand Cayman they helped her on and folded it up and on it went too.... we pushed her around Grand Cayman altho there really wasnt sidewalks condusive to this. In Cozumel the cab driver folded it up and put it in the trunk. When we came back to Galveston - we left it pretty much where we found it after she got in the van.... I guess it pretty much depends on where you begin from.

Most cruiselines will provide a wheelchair when you first get there to assist with boarding and getting off the ship. Most ships use the heavy old ones and are in bad shape. Yes, some will allow you to have one but why chance it. Wheelchairs are free on any flights in Canada and the US (not counted in baggage amount or claim). If you think you may need one buy it now, get an ultra light or Featherwite. These are light weght wheelchairs and most cabs will take them without a thought.Do not buy the travel wheel chair with smaller wheels if you plan to use it off ship as most ports in the Caribbean have poor streets, cobbles and curbs. The travel wheelchair does not work while in these conditions.

Tex- I would say you really lucked out. Most times the cruiselines will not allow the chairs off for liability issues.

I would rent a chair to have it with me instead of taking the chance.

Use the cruiselines chairs to get checked in and on the last day-- the one you rented will be in your cabin waiting. thats where you leave it the last day and someone will pickit up

Wow - our experience was totally opposite. When cruising out of Galveston on the Rhapsody, my MIL (bad knees) got out of the cab and into a wheelchair that was right there where the van let us out. The baggage porter brought it over for her.... then used it while in line to check in and the customer service lady told her to use it for the cruise. So on the ship it went with her in it.... she used it all week. When tendering in Grand Cayman they helped her on and folded it up and on it went too.... we pushed her around Grand Cayman altho there really wasnt sidewalks condusive to this. In Cozumel the cab driver folded it up and put it in the trunk. When we came back to Galveston - we left it pretty much where we found it after she got in the van.... I guess it pretty much depends on where you begin from.[/Thanks. I don't want to buy a wheelchair right away, because I don't know if any of the therapy options will work, and besides, I want to do some real research. These cruises are coming right up. I think I"ll rent for Mercury and hope for the best on Splendour, since I probably won't get off the ship, anyway.quote]

I think that it can depend on the ship as well. Before we started bringing our own wheelchair, we sailed on both Rhapsody and Splendour. The staff on Rhapsody was very nice, insisting on our keeping the wheelchair we used for boarding and use it as needed during the week. On the other hand, with Splendour, not only was the staff overall not as nice, but we even had a hard time getting a wheelchair for boarding or disembarking, having to wait for some time as apparently they had very few available.

HI

WE were on RCL last year and rented a scooter for my mother in law and it was well woth it. I think we paid around $300 for an 11 day cruise. If using a wheel chair you have to remember what kind of ground condition you will have getting off the ship this will make it very hard for someone to push.

Teresa

Archived