Cruise around Japan in 2018

Sailaway John

Having just returned from a cruise to Tasmania and the South Island of New Zealand, both wife and I thought we would wait till early 2018 for our next cruise. We are Elite with Princess and will continue to use them again. we have never been on a cruise to Japan, been most other places, but we are now anxious to go to the Land of the Rising Sun and Cherry Blossoms. I believe that the Diamond Princess (which we have sailed on before with its Japanese Baths, etc.) is the about the only Princess ship that does these cruises. So I ask is it the only Princess ship sailing those waters and can anyone advise or help with ideas. Anything would be appreciated.

We too were looking at doing a cruise around Japan next year with Princess.

But when you go to the Princess site the last cruise listed for the Diamond is the repositioning in March from Sydney to Tokyo. It has two ports in Japan then it docks in Yokohama (Tokyo).

We have booked this cruise and are hoping that the Diamond has not been chartered and Princess are just a little slow releasing the cruises for the rest of 2018 for the Diamond as we would like to do a B2B.

We are cruising in April this year and will ask the future cruise sales person what is going on with the Diamond if no futher cruises have been released for it.

Last fall we booked a 16 day voyage on the Golden which sails from Tokyo to Whitier (Anchorage). It sails in late April of next year. Although I believe we'll only stop in 3-4 Japan ports and one in South Korea I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 voyage on her sailing prior to this one that had several other stops in Japan.

It's not often that Princess has a northern Pacific crossing. We really enjoyed a voyage on the Diamond from Whittier to Beijing 3-4 years ago which had stops in Japan, Russia and China. Assuming we don't find something we like better for next spring we will likely spend a few extra days in Tokyo before boarding.

Chris

Last fall we booked a 16 day voyage on the Golden which sails from Tokyo to Whitier (Anchorage). It sails in late April of next year. Although I believe we'll only stop in 3-4 Japan ports and one in South Korea I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 voyage on her sailing prior to this one that had several other stops in Japan.

It's not often that Princess has a northern Pacific crossing. We really enjoyed a voyage on the Diamond from Whittier to Beijing 3-4 years ago which had stops in Japan, Russia and China. Assuming we don't find something we like better for next spring we will likely spend a few extra days in Tokyo before boarding.

Chris

Is that the 2018 leaving on 27th? We are booked on that but also cruise before and stay on to Vancouver. Have you joined the roll call yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having just returned from a cruise to Tasmania and the South Island of New Zealand, both wife and I thought we would wait till early 2018 for our next cruise. We are Elite with Princess and will continue to use them again. we have never been on a cruise to Japan, been most other places, but we are now anxious to go to the Land of the Rising Sun and Cherry Blossoms. I believe that the Diamond Princess (which we have sailed on before with its Japanese Baths, etc.) is the about the only Princess ship that does these cruises. So I ask is it the only Princess ship sailing those waters and can anyone advise or help with ideas. Anything would be appreciated.

What is wrong with Diamond Princess. It is a great ship and in my opinion is much better than the Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess. The Diamond Princess is one of the best ships in the Princess fleet.

Also November is a great time to go to Japan with the Autumn colour change season. Absolutely beautiful.

Is that the 2018 leaving on 27th? We are booked on that but also cruise before and stay on to Vancouver. Have you joined the roll call yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's the one. Yes we have joined the roll call but it's so far in the further that I must admit I haven't visited often. We considered the prior cruise but opted for a few days in Tokyo and likely a few days in Alaska after. see you onboard !

Thanks for all the replies. Now which is the best time to go . . . April or later in the year.

I haven't cruised around Japan but I did a trip there in April and the weather was perfect. It was warm and sunny but not too hot in Tokyo, Kyoto was warmer and more humid but not unbearable. I really enjoyed it there and would love to go back one day.

April 29, 2018 is the first day of "Golden Week" which is a nation wide celebration where the Japanese travel to see families all across the country. Be aware if you are staying in Tokyo before the cruise book your hotel a year out....no joke!

If you want to ride the Shinkansen, book your tickets to guarantee a seat way ahead of time. There are different speed Shin's so make sure you book the one you want. If you don't book ahead you won't be able to get on. If you don't pay for a reserved seat you will be standing in the aisle for the entire trip packed like sardines! Airfare is cheaper many times depending on destination.

No matter where you go......it will be more crowded than you can imagine.

Please remember to use quiet indoor voices everywhere you are. Please don't stick your chopsticks straight up in your bowl.....it signifies death.

You will always find Lawson's and other Combini's/mini mart everywhere for snacks and drinks. Also, there are vending machines with nice cold drinks. Just have some coin on you.

In Japan it is impolite to walk around while eating or drinking. If you buy something from a vending machine or mart just stop somewhere to enjoy it. No eating or drinking on trains.

All metro train stations will have giant underground shopping areas for food, groceries, clothes and ALL the things.

Do try Real "RAMEN" It is amazing!

Hi,

We did an eight-day Circle Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess in July 2016 and had a wonderful time. The ports were very interesting. We spent two nights in Tokyo following the cruise. The Diamond Princess was fine. I highly recommend this cruise.

Chuck