Only taking 1 carry-on each on 7 nt. cruise - advice needed.

mek

For those of you who posted back when this originally came up- here is an update. Our family got together and went out for dinner tonight and I sat with my step-daughter. She said I wasn't the only one who told her she was crazy to fly in the day of the cruise so she changed her flights and is now arriving the day before. Thank heavens!

That's great news!

I think you can get by with a carry on if you plan well and wear some of your clothing on a plane. Basic black pants and jeans can be worn several times each. I would probably plan to do laundry once.

As far as flying same day, I have done it once, but only in Miami when there were many, many flights and I had a cruise that was free (bought one longer cruise and they threw in a free shorter one - port charges & tips were only to be paid if we actually sailed).

For those of you who posted back when this originally came up- here is an update. Our family got together and went out for dinner tonight and I sat with my step-daughter. She said I wasn't the only one who told her she was crazy to fly in the day of the cruise so she changed her flights and is now arriving the day before. Thank heavens!

Thanks for the update, so glad they took some ones advice.:rolleyes:

No, they won't listen to me about the flights and it won't be appreciated if I mention it again. Hopefully, they will make the cruise and then they can tell me how I worried about nothing.

They are strange people about travel, which they do infrequently - they really don't like to be away from home much - I hope they enjoy this trip.

You've done all you can do :( My in-laws ignored our advice about "always fly in the day before your cruise", and things were fine... until their 3rd cruise, when the flight was delayed and they missed their boat! Even though they bought their flight through the cruiseline, the ship left without them. Even though they had the best insurance NCL offered at that time, they were still out a few hundred dollars. In their case, they had to fly to the next port, and wait a few days for the ship. They did not have a great time, and haven't cruised NCL since. But... they did learn... "always fly in the day before your cruise" ;)

Just saw this and YAY! so glad to hear it :)

• 1 month later...
If they're not going to be fancy on formal night, a week's worth of clothes - even with layers suitable for this neck of the woods - is easily packed in a single carry-on. There are some great videos and tutorials on efficient packing and wardrobe assembly online, e.g.

Gizmodo

Lifehacker

Really the only extra to note is the essential waterproof top layer needed for Alaskan cruising (wear or carry this onto the plane) and good outdoor footwear (ditto with your heaviest pair). A very light & convenient warmth layer that minimises space is to take a pair of tights to wear under your pants, and a toque/scarf/fleece gloves fold up really small - with those even a breezy glacier sailing day should be tolerable.

I'm much more concerned about the very risky same-day inbound connecting flight than their ability to live out of a carry on for a week! As noted, if they miss the ship in Vancouver they are totally hosed - Princess Transfers will not help in the slightest with PVSA violations and are slower and more expensive than taking a cab.

If they actually booked FLIGHTS through Princess it's possible they'd eat the PVSA violation cost and get them to another port - but even that would depend on the circumstances (there have been a very few cases of folks being flown up to AK to join the ship - but IIRC those were in genuinely extenuating circumstances like an aircraft mechanical failure or very bad weather, not just a missed connection).

Whether or not they can reschedule the flights - cancel the transfers, run straight to the cab line!

Thanks for sharing Utube video !!! we are also planning carryon bags great advice!;)