Rome with Limited Mobility

Londongirl8

We are new to cruising having only done the one cruise so far. We are looking at booking a Mediterranean Cruise. Has anybody found it is possible to do a tour of Rome with limited ability to walk any distances. I do have a mobility scooter which I will be taking. I am not sure if I should book a tour with the cruise ship but may find it is too much walking or try to book a shared private tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

my husband has limited mobility and have found the easiest way is to book a private tour that includes transport from the pier

most are in 7 seater vans but have always managed to find cruisemates on our roll call to offset costs

the mobility scooter may actually be more of a hindrance with uneven surfaces in the central area and if you use a ships tour the large coach wont be able to get close to the main tourist sites so will add to the walking

a minivan on the other hand can manoeuvre round the narrow alleys and drop you off very close circling round to pick you up again if necessary

there are many recommended tour companies on this board so contact a few and explain your situation

we can personally recommend Rudy of Rome-car-tours

Thanks I will have a look at them. It sounds a much better idea than the large coach. How did you find the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel that does look like a lot of walking I wonder if I could be dropped off and use my scooter for that bit. I'll email Rudy and ask their advice.

Thanks I will have a look at them. It sounds a much better idea than the large coach. How did you find the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel that does look like a lot of walking I wonder if I could be dropped off and use my scooter for that bit. I'll email Rudy and ask their advice.

to be honest we have never done the Vvatican museums because of the crowds and amount of walking required and have always found plenty else to see in Rome!

Rudy however is a qualified guide for the Vatican so he will certainly be able to give you best advice

If you have limited mobility, do not even consider walking inside the Vatican (Musuem and Sistine Chapel) without some kind of assistance device. However, it is possible to do a visit with a little planning. Here is a link to the Vatican Musuem (their official web site) page on accessibility to the museums

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/visita-i-musei/servizi-per-i-visitatori/accessibilita.html

The Vatican is usually (but not always) pretty helpful if you send the a direct e-mail.

Hank

Londongirl18

Rome isn't the most disabled friendly city in Europe, but your husband would be able to manage with a mobility scooter. I have taken a manual wheelchair, but it was a bit hard for my OH pushing me. If it is the type that folds down it should fit into most means of transport.

Museums and attractions in Italy and throughout Europe offer free or heavily discounted entrance to a disabled person and their carer. In the Vatican there is a separate entrance.

In museums you can borrow a wheelchair FOC if your husband doesn't want to take his scooter. All information can be found on each museum's website.

There is a website called SageTravelling that hS useful information for disabled travellers throughout Europe and I think there is one called Accessible Italy.

When I was in southern Europe in 2013, I used my scooter at the Vatican and the museum. The far left ticket window at the museum is for those with disabilities. I was led to believe that the ticket would be pro-rated based on percentage level of disability. I'm from the US and have a "disabled" driver's license. I was surprised to be granted free admission and even free use of the audio tour. I was granted the same type of access at other sites in Italy and Greece. It is something to look into.

BTW, I travel alone and had no real problems only the usual inconveniences.

If you do decide to visit the Vatican, it is important to understand where the restrooms are. It is quite a long way from the Pine Cone Courtyard to the area after the Sistine Chapel where the next restrooms are. Plan accordingly - I avoided drinking anything before I entered the museums - as it turned out, the restrooms were completely mobbed that day with lines up to an hour long, even the ones after you get out of the museum had the longest lines I've seen and so we had our driver took us to a gas station outside of Rome where there were plenty of restrooms.

The Vatican museum and Sistine chapel has a different entrance and order of visiting for a disabled person. Part of the way you may be accompanied by a Vatican employee. It is probably best to prebook online with the official website. Do take into account it is extremely busy and crowded.

I have been to Rome more times than I can remember, so give it a miss these days.

I really love the Galleria Borghese which has timed entry, so must be booked in advance. Again, there is no charge for disabled visitors and their carer. You present yourself with your ticket at the entrance desk and they take you into the museum before everybody else. Nice to be there alone before the crowds arrive.