Any U.K. runners out there?

We'll be on a 13-day U.K. cruise in July, and I'll be midway through training for my first marathon. I thought it might be fun to search for local races on the weekends we'll be there, or check in with local running clubs for some safe routes for training runs. I wondered if anyone might have suggestions for local running or race websites. I've done a couple internet searches, but in the U.S., I've found the best resources through word of mouth. Thanks for any help you can provide!

I'm allergic to running, so have no personal experience to contribute. But I do know that parkrun operates here, so that would be one potential option if you can find one for which the timing works for you. It would certainly be something different from the usual cruise ship excursion! And potentially quite a sociable one, too.

We'll be on a 13-day U.K. cruise in July, and I'll be midway through training for my first marathon. I thought it might be fun to search for local races on the weekends we'll be there, or check in with local running clubs for some safe routes for training runs. I wondered if anyone might have suggestions for local running or race websites. I've done a couple internet searches, but in the U.S., I've found the best resources through word of mouth. Thanks for any help you can provide!

What ports will you visit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What ports will you visit?

St. Peter Port (have booked a walking tour that day), Cork, Holyhead, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Portree, Invergordon and Edinburgh.

I hoped you'd say Holyhead. I grew up on Anglesey. I think there should be some pretty spectacular runs from the ship. I'll check with my sister, she still lives nearby and is a runner. I'll come back to you. [emoji4]

I hoped you'd say Holyhead. I grew up on Anglesey. I think there should be some pretty spectacular runs from the ship. I'll check with my sister, she still lives nearby and is a runner. I'll come back to you. [emoji4]

Great, thank you! We are there on a Saturday, so in a perfect world there would a race that day--always fun to run with others and challenge yourself. But I'll take a regular run since I need to keep training while we're gone!

My sister says "are they a road runner or off-roader? Either way there are great routes up there. Turn right out of the port towards Holyhead Breakwater Park. Off road you can do Holyhead Mountain, the amazing cliffs (careful!!) and round to South Stack (one of Anglesey's attractions) very scenic. Or if staying on road, again, right out of port, up South Stack Road, through Llaingoch and out on the lanes to South Stack and a loop through Penrhosfeilw before turning left at Porthdafarch beach and back to the port."

She didn't give me distances, I can find out if it helps. I don't know if there are any races that day I'm afraid. What date are you visiting? [emoji4]

Contact the local running group www.cybistriders.co.uk they might also be able to help. [emoji1303]

Thank you! We will be there on Saturday July 22nd. It looks like the club has Sunday runs, but at some point I'll check in on their FB page and see if, like my local club, people post additional training runs looking for company.