Seas

BellaWave

Since trained weathermen (supposedly) are able to predict weather a week to 10 days out. Is it possible to forecast the ocean wave height for Western Caribbean next week (Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman). I've read a lot recently about cruises that had to skip certain ports. Would like to know if I should not even bother looking/booking excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since trained weathermen (supposedly) are able to predict weather a week to 10 days out. Is it possible to forecast the ocean wave height for Western Caribbean next week (Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman). I've read a lot recently about cruises that had to skip certain ports. Would like to know if I should not even bother looking/booking excursions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the three ports you are going to are notorious for being missed so I would not worry about it at all.

We have a total of almost 4 months of cruising and have not missed a port yet!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the three ports you are going to are notorious for being missed so I would not worry about it at all.

We have a total of almost 4 months of cruising and have not missed a port yet!

Grand Cayman certainly is as it's a tender port. Missed that one our very first cruise. A month or so ago, Ocho Rios was also canceled.

No sense in stressing. Make sure there's no penalty if your ship doesn't make the port and then book the excursions you want. If you do it through the ship (which I don't do anymore), you will automatically be refunded. Some travel insurance policies also offer refunds if that happens.

We have missed Grand Cayman twice and made it twice. As it is a tender port that greatly ups the odds. If sea conditions are too rough they skip. If you book through Carnival and do not make it they automatically refund. If you wan to go independent, I would suggest looking for a tour operator with a lot of positive feedback here and on Tripadvisor. They know whether or not you make it is not guaranteed. Have not heard of Jamaica or Cozumel being skipped due to sea conditions but anything is possible.

Out of 20 port of call I have been very fortunate not to miss any due to weather - well, actually we missed Mahogany Bay due to wind but were able to dock a the Coxen Hole pier on Roatan so I won't count that.