Trip to Edinburgh

I've posted these details in response to other questions so it should be fine. I've used both companies in the past and they've been reliable.

http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk 0131-777-7777

http://www.ecph.cab 0131-555-5555

When you get off the ship you'll see volunteers on the pier (wearing purple jackets) and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have on the day. There's usually an information desk in the atrium on the ship run by our volunteers too

Hello again

I have seen many of my cruisemates booking transportation to and from the Tatttoo while we are in Edinburgh. Would either of these taxi companies be reliable if booked in advance? I ask only because the company that I have booked with is a private company with a van that will accommodate 16 of us that will cost us roughly £18.61 per person round trip and when I look at the price for this taxi it is £9.00 for up to 6 passengers one way - what am I missing?

Hi, tartanexile81, thanks for all your excellent tips on these forums! My son and I will be on the same cruise as teacherman, spending June 30 and July 1 in Edinburgh, tendered at Newhaven. We'll be taking the Majestic tour HOHO bus to get around, haven't quite settled on individual sites.

I tried to search for exactly when the Queen is expected for Holyrood Week, but didn't see anything more specific than "end of June/early July", which of course is when we're there. So it looks like Holyrood is off the menu - was wondering, does the Queen's visit occasion any other challenges - or opportunities - for us tourists?

Also, is there anything you'd particularly recommend for my 15-year-old son? Trying to keep the itinerary interesting for him too. I'm lucky in that he's a history buff, but I like to find things to keep his interest piqued.

Thanks again!!

Hello again

I have seen many of my cruisemates booking transportation to and from the Tatttoo while we are in Edinburgh. Would either of these taxi companies be reliable if booked in advance? I ask only because the company that I have booked with is a private company with a van that will accommodate 16 of us that will cost us roughly £18.61 per person round trip and when I look at the price for this taxi it is £9.00 for up to 6 passengers one way - what am I missing?

Don't think you're missing anything. These companies are reputable and reliable I personally wouldn't hesitate to use them. Go for it! It's a big saving

Hello again

You might expect that the price per person would be less on a minibus than in a car. I guess it's just different companies quoting different prices.

Hi, tartanexile81, thanks for all your excellent tips on these forums! My son and I will be on the same cruise as teacherman, spending June 30 and July 1 in Edinburgh, tendered at Newhaven. We'll be taking the Majestic tour HOHO bus to get around, haven't quite settled on individual sites.

I tried to search for exactly when the Queen is expected for Holyrood Week, but didn't see anything more specific than "end of June/early July", which of course is when we're there. So it looks like Holyrood is off the menu - was wondering, does the Queen's visit occasion any other challenges - or opportunities - for us tourists?

Also, is there anything you'd particularly recommend for my 15-year-old son? Trying to keep the itinerary interesting for him too. I'm lucky in that he's a history buff, but I like to find things to keep his interest piqued.

Thanks again!!

I replied to your post earlier today AndyB but don't know what happened to it so here goes again.!

Firstly The majestic Tour covers much more of the city suburbs than the other two tours and therefore shows you less of the City Centre. This is because it does Newhaven as a pick-up point, as well as the Royal Botanical gardens and The Royal Yacht Britannia, all of which are well spread out.

However if you get off at Stop 12, I recommend you walk up The Royal Mile from there. That's where IMO the principal sights are. The Castle is about 1/2 mile away and on the way you'll pass lots of 'closes' little alleys where people lived in the Middle ages and you can visit Mary King's Close. It's several streets, underground now, but which date back to the 17th Century. There's various walking tours, St Giles Cathedral and usually street entertainers in the summer so lots of options for your son. There's a Camera Obscura which as a youngster I used to love visiting, and opposite it, The Scotch Whisky Experience, also on the way up to the Castle

http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk

About half way between your bus stop and the Castle there's a busy street to your left called George IV Bridge. On it you will find The Elephant House where JK Rowling spent some time writing Harry Potter. Nearby are also several other sights on the HP trail

• Greyfriars Kirkyard, where the tombstone said to have inspired the creation of Lord Voldemort’s character lies –where father and son Thomas Riddell are buried – as well as poet William McGonagall, who inspired another character, Professor Minerva McGonagall.
  • George Heriot’s School, said to be the inspiration for Hogwarts Castle
  • Victoria Street, which is said to have inspired Diagon Alley, the magical promenade from the books and films.

Also just a couple of minutes walk away is the Scottish National Museum, which has lots of fascinating Galleries and this summer there will be a special exhibition about Egyptian life

http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-scotland/whats-on/the-tomb/

Of course The Castle is one of the main attractions and as well as the usual tours around it, there are special events most days. These aren't well publicised in my opinion but relate to how life was at The Castle in its heyday. Events should show up soon for June / July.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/whatson

If you feel like being outdoors, climb Calton Hill at the East End of Princes Street where there are numerous quirky buildings and monuments

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2009/11/feature-buildings-on-calton-hill/

Finally Dynamic earth is a great experience and close to Stop 10 on the Majestic Tour. It's also from that stop that you'll see the Scottish Parliament Building and the outside of the Palace of Holyroodhouse - as you rightly surmised it will be closed to visitors as the Queen will be in residence. You can find out what the Queen will be doing by checking out this website, although there's not usually much advance notice given. It's not like a Presidential Cavalcade but you might find some diversions in place occasionally.

https://www.royal.uk/future-engagements

Hope that gives you some ideas. If you want additional info, just ask. BTW this is our website

http://www.cruiseforth.com

You might expect that the price per person would be less on a minibus than in a car. I guess it's just different companies quoting different prices.

Exactly! I thought booking a vehicle to transport 16 people would bring the cost per person down - not up! The price quote for a taxi for 6 people round trip to the Tattoo area and back to the docks is £26 for the lot of us! I realize the taxi is metered and with traffic I imagine the cost can grow exponentially but this is quite a difference - the price quote from the private livery company is as I said roughly £19 per person round trip (£295 for the transport) so as Tartanexile said there is considerable savings to be had by booking a taxi in advance and not the private luxury livery service. We don't need luxury for this part - just reliability;)

Exactly! I thought booking a vehicle to transport 16 people would bring the cost per person down - not up! The price quote for a taxi for 6 people round trip to the Tattoo area and back to the docks is £26 for the lot of us! I realize the taxi is metered and with traffic I imagine the cost can grow exponentially but this is quite a difference - the price quote from the private livery company is as I said roughly £19 per person round trip (£295 for the transport) so as Tartanexile said there is considerable savings to be had by booking a taxi in advance and not the private luxury livery service. We don't need luxury for this part - just reliability;)

Remember you'll get 20% off the fare so remember to ask if the driver doesn't do it automatically. Or you can pay in advance by CC

Thanks, tartanexile81, I do tend to be away from the boards during the work week. I set this thread up for instant notifications, but I must have missed one. The Harry Potter connections are a great hook for my son's interest. No doubt we'll have plenty to see and do on our two days in Edinburgh. Much appreciated!

We are arriving at Leith in mid August (Monday) for a 2 day visit. Day 1 we're planning on visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia late morning after tendering in. Then we'll need transportation to Edinburgh around noon. Does the #22 bus you mentioned have a ramp or lift for the disabled ? I use a mobility scooter. Does the bus run throughout the day and evening, as we plan to see the Tattoo that evening which concludes at 10:30pm ? I know the streets will be crowded with Fringe Festivals but is visiting the Castle and Hollyrood Palace doable and disabled friendly ? We can possibly do one on Day 2.

Thank you for any advice you provide.

All Lothian buses have room for at least one wheelchair and they have a ramp to the pavement. I am not sure about the HOHO. There are also accessible taxis. The Royal yacht Britannia is easily accessible to most areas and very interesting. The castle is on the Royal mile with narrow pavements and many tourists, it is partly accessible but is worth the visit.

I am not sure about Holyrood. Buses run to the timetable fairly reliably but getting out of the tattoo can take quite some time. The crowds come down onto the cobbled streets in their thousands from the tattoo and then mingling with the festival hordes and I don't know how a scooter would manage this, let alone get on a bus to get back to Newhaven for your tender back to the ship. I would be inclined to book this (the tattoo) through the cruise myself.