HDMI on Regal... usable?

dizlove

They us ViewSonic and Samsung TV's. Although they have a few HDMI inputs they've got them locked off so no matter what remote tuner you have it cannot change the input.

BUT

If you really want to use the TV for you own material you can unplug their HDMI input & plug in your own. In some cabins it can be quite a challenge and in others just plain difficult at best. I used it for my own movies but changing back & forth became tedious & I just left it plugged in with their cable.

Good luck.

Never have seen HDMI cables used on the TVs . They use coax input only.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The coax feeds some sort of controller box and from there an HDMI cable then feeds the TV. It's tough to actually see since the TV's are pinned to the wall so securely. On our last trip someone had popped the TV somewhat loose so it was much easier to access the wiring. I was using it to view my own movies (their input only) but it became tedious to keep switching inputs for the regular TV, so I quit.

The coax feeds some sort of controller box and from there an HDMI cable then feeds the TV. It's tough to actually see since the TV's are pinned to the wall so securely. On our last trip someone had popped the TV somewhat loose so it was much easier to access the wiring. I was using it to view my own movies (their input only) but it became tedious to keep switching inputs for the regular TV, so I quit.

Wonder if a hdmi switch (not splitter) would work so once you were set up, you would just need to flip the selector on the switch.

Wonder if a hdmi switch (not splitter) would work so once you were set up, you would just need to flip the selector on the switch.

It might. Even a splitter might work & for $6 I might give it a try next cruise. Hook it up once for the whole cruise & leave the end dandling just behind the TV. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Port-1080P-HDMI-AUTO-Switch-Splitter-Switcher-HUB-Box-Cable-for-DVD-HDTV-PS3/371574187287?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D9325b861b5f2458c8bdda44123f7d132%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D50%26sd%3D121526184725

Just came off Regal Princess and we had a Samsung TV. I could just about plug our HDMI cable in. We couldn't change the channel to look at it though. I have seen others say that you can take a remote and make it change. I've just bought one and will try again on Royal in August.

Just came off Regal Princess and we had a Samsung TV. I could just about plug our HDMI cable in. We couldn't change the channel to look at it though. I have seen others say that you can take a remote and make it change. I've just bought one and will try again on Royal in August.

I've never had any luck with changing the input even using a peel app with my phone. I may be wrong but I think there is only one working HDMI input & that's the one they use. IF you can reach it & unplug their input & substitute you cable, it will work. The Samsung sets are really tight & I couldn't get my fat hands in there but the ViewSonic sets are a little easier. You'll never know which set you'll get till sailing time.

Regal's feed doesn't come via an HDMI cable, it works via ethernet. If it was HDMI things would be interesting, you could swap their cable for your own (assuming you could get to it). On Regal with Samsung I could just get to it. On royal I couldn't even see a socket.

Regal's feed doesn't come via an HDMI cable, it works via ethernet. If it was HDMI things would be interesting, you could swap their cable for your own (assuming you could get to it). On Regal with Samsung I could just get to it. On royal I couldn't even see a socket.

If you disconnect the cable. The system can tell the tech people that the TV has been disconnected.

An HDMI cable is not able to do that. They have no way of knowing if you plug your own HDMI cable in.

An ethernet cable can, very easily, the switch at the far end of the cable is certainly able to alert them the moment you unplug it. I didn't, and wouldn't, suggest you unplug the ethernet, it wouldn't help you in any way. It's a network connection not a video feed. You would need something more than an iPad / laptop to reproduce the on demand video system with your own.

I've already read posts that claim that a well setup remote will be able to change sources. I've yet to try it myself.

Before the Royal, the connection to the TV was made via coax cable.

kh7jkhIPXQi39uXUcN3YpvZffigYSX4O8udonBd4ayorHV58WSoEKOoAvMQB27poizz1su-ArLtDzD0FsvHQMNWrESDXZFmC86snVp8gPNwMyBdqWKiUoP13lzg5st_Evbn4dkPyIk6Z_Uikhi6G-8carVvED07ZB9uZyeaYy8RWvEzkbGCE3HQKLMGnfUliX51uq_mwU6v4bGEOuhdjJ4n4GzRm2ZgorNCw0iz6AUJYGXo3YL-QZJkYaz-0SL2RFwEgqI1sAUcysiYw1fym1vgiBacQdD-tBSw-ZN-VzZtJIjs5a6dNwZWc8htxPA6GBf_BHkqbZJ4iyLnbekmXO5j0izZAzutTTifw8SqRZBNxytRsqIxQz7JzvrlKzIykLE1iGdFODebAxvDaxyRvkMID7rOCmmyzpkyuAgGMSZ_jUo5xZ9X2lkiGHrcbBbhKKwwWyDz3DC98bvjKt_xrzfjDN0D2l5JSbjapROJAX0s_aQ4iCP0jxXuwRB-OfgPjMYB3LDPWMz9Qmc42rsebPwSuPCHUwYAizYWhcZDkY9dyc7v9TZeiXPnZdXYJtL80xHO5BauygjO8DxatzBEnp1oxRWeBntE71Ti2FrVzBAKjpD3nZhcU=w672-h895-no

As at least one other poster has mentioned, on the Royal, Regal and any other ship with the newer interactive system the connection is via ethernet cable as you can see at the top of the photo below. The TV is mounted very tight to the wall and when a tech was troubleshooting a problem we had he almost couldn't unplug the ethernet cable from behind the TV. It appears that it would be very difficult to plug in an HDMI cable.

XDb-Lw5BfhWW195AgNdg9BCV2F054vZ-WprXthmepDANAw_IHPHQSn82tHWtv2HtBS-XwZ41uW6CTINxuPbIsejvZCtVJrWVVptoC2x7Cg_GHNVwfz6yXHIvE6dJ5q7oVcEjIsCDFlmn_bD-78QEnR8hCMLk0IZ7u9kkfq2UMkywSbKSQaT_4R4gcyUTQa3vdC6VSgrT_p5VvSHASzVuj2PqCpBFd_mQXcPJC6vcMLA-4QSIhzB8vFITmo887N80VOs6nDWurUTxJ0VyqSMCJ4MFUg8Pw3Ok5Bpo3YFJxhU_SGoaoh0ckKhmkO19DH6b0MHlHOWrrLiFxunX6boIvHr9WkpsGqHmZlYUfzA1nIwwGuzKkc_Lc1m2SfK2slRVgTKSE8peQzatGFL5rGL4AKhVw4BetPvG4D2DwJy_UNQPfNiScesVA7PjGS6K6eWxQ0J_caWPFVb41GQD2J8zvEr28X5wxbsb9JlRHhq6paZjYppwJSIv9R6-4rnztl5JCcqs5cpP7BVzB037EpYjYGcl1UemmoxmWr6Tu0fTPx55MsB-gHsF5_A20GoOTdKJEK6rjFzAWJq8tOWGYe6Nzn9cLqRRf-Hej8Gf0aHCTEA3MWSLJfA4=w672-h895-no

Their coax goes into a small box behind the TV & then an HDMI cable connects to the one usable TV HDMI input. With the Samsung TV's is almost impossible to see that. With a VieSonic it's difficult but possible.

If you disconnect the cable. The system can tell the tech people that the TV has been disconnected.

If that's so they didn't seem to mind when my cable was disconnected for hours on end. One night after watching a movie I didn't reconnected till morning.

Before the Royal, the connection to the TV was made via coax cable. True, but if you used an HDMI input, it could be switched.

kh7jkhIPXQi39uXUcN3YpvZffigYSX4O8udonBd4ayorHV58WSoEKOoAvMQB27poizz1su-ArLtDzD0FsvHQMNWrESDXZFmC86snVp8gPNwMyBdqWKiUoP13lzg5st_Evbn4dkPyIk6Z_Uikhi6G-8carVvED07ZB9uZyeaYy8RWvEzkbGCE3HQKLMGnfUliX51uq_mwU6v4bGEOuhdjJ4n4GzRm2ZgorNCw0iz6AUJYGXo3YL-QZJkYaz-0SL2RFwEgqI1sAUcysiYw1fym1vgiBacQdD-tBSw-ZN-VzZtJIjs5a6dNwZWc8htxPA6GBf_BHkqbZJ4iyLnbekmXO5j0izZAzutTTifw8SqRZBNxytRsqIxQz7JzvrlKzIykLE1iGdFODebAxvDaxyRvkMID7rOCmmyzpkyuAgGMSZ_jUo5xZ9X2lkiGHrcbBbhKKwwWyDz3DC98bvjKt_xrzfjDN0D2l5JSbjapROJAX0s_aQ4iCP0jxXuwRB-OfgPjMYB3LDPWMz9Qmc42rsebPwSuPCHUwYAizYWhcZDkY9dyc7v9TZeiXPnZdXYJtL80xHO5BauygjO8DxatzBEnp1oxRWeBntE71Ti2FrVzBAKjpD3nZhcU=w672-h895-no

As at least one other poster has mentioned, on the Royal, Regal and any other ship with the newer interactive system the connection is via ethernet cable as you can see at the top of the photo below. The TV is mounted very tight to the wall and when a tech was troubleshooting a problem we had he almost couldn't unplug the ethernet cable from behind the TV. It appears that it would be very difficult to plug in an HDMI cable.

XDb-Lw5BfhWW195AgNdg9BCV2F054vZ-WprXthmepDANAw_IHPHQSn82tHWtv2HtBS-XwZ41uW6CTINxuPbIsejvZCtVJrWVVptoC2x7Cg_GHNVwfz6yXHIvE6dJ5q7oVcEjIsCDFlmn_bD-78QEnR8hCMLk0IZ7u9kkfq2UMkywSbKSQaT_4R4gcyUTQa3vdC6VSgrT_p5VvSHASzVuj2PqCpBFd_mQXcPJC6vcMLA-4QSIhzB8vFITmo887N80VOs6nDWurUTxJ0VyqSMCJ4MFUg8Pw3Ok5Bpo3YFJxhU_SGoaoh0ckKhmkO19DH6b0MHlHOWrrLiFxunX6boIvHr9WkpsGqHmZlYUfzA1nIwwGuzKkc_Lc1m2SfK2slRVgTKSE8peQzatGFL5rGL4AKhVw4BetPvG4D2DwJy_UNQPfNiScesVA7PjGS6K6eWxQ0J_caWPFVb41GQD2J8zvEr28X5wxbsb9JlRHhq6paZjYppwJSIv9R6-4rnztl5JCcqs5cpP7BVzB037EpYjYGcl1UemmoxmWr6Tu0fTPx55MsB-gHsF5_A20GoOTdKJEK6rjFzAWJq8tOWGYe6Nzn9cLqRRf-Hej8Gf0aHCTEA3MWSLJfA4=w672-h895-no

Difficult isn't the word for it- Impossible is more like it unless you can figure out how to unlock the TV and swivel it away at the bottom.

The Samsung set we had, on Regal, was accessible from the other side and had a HDMI socket available. My large but thin hands managed to get a plug into it. Given what others have said it, given the right remote it should be possible to view your own stuff.

If enough people complain about his they may do something about it. We complained to GS about it on each cruise we've had the problem. They do tend to listen.

The Samsung set we had, on Regal, was accessible from the other side and had a HDMI socket available. My large but thin hands managed to get a plug into it. Given what others have said it, given the right remote it should be possible to view your own stuff.

If enough people complain about his they may do something about it. We complained to GS about it on each cruise we've had the problem. They do tend to listen.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it to work on the Samsung.

Will do, Royal in August. We'll have two cabins to try it with as we are taking my parents with us.

What do you intend to feed the TV with? I use a WD-TV which has worked good in the past, especially on the older ships. Only one ship (which I can't remember) needed R,G,B inputs. Even my smaller 1 GB movie files gave decent quality.

I have a small pod with a 1TB hard drive within it. It is able to backup camera memory cards (CF, SD and others via USB). I use it to offload my photos at the end of each day. It can also duplicate to an external HD. I put movies on it before I go and broadcast them via WIFI to my iPad, which is then hooked up to the TV via HDMI. I can review photos on the iPad or via the TV with a working connection.

The backup device is called "HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA3".

I have a small pod with a 1TB hard drive within it. It is able to backup camera memory cards (CF, SD and others via USB). I use it to offload my photos at the end of each day. It can also duplicate to an external HD. I put movies on it before I go and broadcast them via WIFI to my iPad, which is then hooked up to the TV via HDMI. I can review photos on the iPad or via the TV with a working connection.

The backup device is called "HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA3".

It looks nice but not cheap at all. :eek:

It's not really just a movie player. It:

- Backs up your photos and videos.

- Duplicates that backup to other drives for full safety.

- Has it's own built in screen to view the photos / videos (not a great one I will admit).

- Generates it's own WIFI network to allow you to view your content on other devices.

- Has it's own built in battery so you can backup on the go without mains power.

- Has recovery software to try and get missing photos back from corrupt memory cards.

I'm a computer programmer for a living, but, I'm also a keep semi-pro photographer so it's worth the cost for me. Movie playback is just an additional little trick I use it for.

It's not really just a movie player. It:

- Backs up your photos and videos.

- Duplicates that backup to other drives for full safety.

- Has it's own built in screen to view the photos / videos (not a great one I will admit).

- Generates it's own WIFI network to allow you to view your content on other devices.

- Has it's own built in battery so you can backup on the go without mains power.

- Has recovery software to try and get missing photos back from corrupt memory cards.

I'm a computer programmer for a living, but, I'm also a keep semi-pro photographer so it's worth the cost for me. Movie playback is just an additional little trick I use it for.

I've just been using a a couple of usb thumb drives to store my videos & photo's taken on trips. Nothing to exciting but it gets them off my camera & phones as a backup. I also bring a 2 tb drive for movies.

I've just been using a a couple of usb thumb drives to store my videos & photo's taken on trips. Nothing to exciting but it gets them off my camera & phones as a backup. I also bring a 2 tb drive for movies.

I don't take a computer with me since I've had this. Just the iPad. Granted it's a 12.9" iPad Pro.