HDMI on Regal... usable?

dizlove

I don't take a computer with me since I've had this. Just the iPad. Granted it's a 12.9" iPad Pro.

I refuse to carry a laptop on the ship. It's just not worth the trouble. My wife's tablet does what ever I need & the WD TV provides a hookup for the TV....sometimes.

How do you get the photos off the camera and onto the memory sticks?

My camera has a wi fi feature on but I've never any luck getting it to work so I just use the micro chip to transfer them to my phone via a micro connector & then from the phone to the usb stick. It's a little trouble but I usually do it once or twice a month while on vacation as a backup.

On the Royal in October we were able to disconnect the existing HDMI cable (for their entertainment streaming system) and plug in an HDMI cable to a laptop to play back downloaded television shows. No issue with changing the input because we were using the default input. We were always careful to reconnect the original HDMI feed (because we're not jerks).

This was in a penthouse suite, and I think we had a ViewSonic branded set. Riviera deck near the concierge lounge.

It was a little fiddly because the televisions are mounted flush with the wall and can't be articulated away, but we managed it.

• 1 year later...
An HDMI cable is not able to do that. They have no way of knowing if you plug your own HDMI cable in.

An ethernet cable can, very easily, the switch at the far end of the cable is certainly able to alert them the moment you unplug it. I didn't, and wouldn't, suggest you unplug the ethernet, it wouldn't help you in any way. It's a network connection not a video feed. You would need something more than an iPad / laptop to reproduce the on demand video system with your own.

I've already read posts that claim that a well setup remote will be able to change sources. I've yet to try it myself.

The HDMI 1.4 spec from 2009 integrates ethernet (100mbps full duplex) capability (aka HEC, HDMI Ethernet Channel) in to the connection so it certainly has the capability of being monitored over the distribution network if they wanted to engineer the solution that way. They could monitor HDMI status indirectly from the convertor box, too, since HDMI is based on two-way data signaling. That being said, I doubt they care if you unplug the HDMI unless you complain, report that you can't plug it back in, or damage it.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, UAL_FlyGal said:

PLEASE wish me luck trying to hook up my laptop next week.  I know it's gonna be nerve-wracking!!a080.gif  

I'll keep you all posted. 

We just got off RP from the TA in September and some things have changed. TLDR; it's not going to work anymore.

They're being fed directly by IPTV/ethernet now so there is no default HDMI input to hijack. Since HDMI/input selection is disabled in the TV menus there's no way to select HDMI input either. Even if there was, the HDMI port is *really* difficult to access given the clearance between the wall and the TV. I've attached a photo, it looks like there's a lot more room than there is. I couldn't even slide my hand back there to touch the ports. Maybe an inch of clearance, if that.

That being said, we felt there was no need to plug anything in because there was SO much great content to choose from in the On Demand system and they continued to add to the selections throughout the trip. Lots of new stuff too - when we got back home I stopped by a Redbox to get a movie and we had already watched everything from their new releases screen on the ship. We brought tons of movies/shows for the 5 days of sea crossing and didn't watch one of them.

20180921_185351.jpg

38 minutes ago, aduck said:

We just got off RP from the TA in September and some things have changed. TLDR; it's not going to work anymore.

They're being fed directly by IPTV/ethernet now so there is no default HDMI input to hijack. Since HDMI/input selection is disabled in the TV menus there's no way to select HDMI input either. Even if there was, the HDMI port is *really* difficult to access given the clearance between the wall and the TV. I've attached a photo, it looks like there's a lot more room than there is. I couldn't even slide my hand back there to touch the ports. Maybe an inch of clearance, if that.

That being said, we felt there was no need to plug anything in because there was SO much great content to choose from in the On Demand system and they continued to add to the selections throughout the trip. Lots of new stuff too - when we got back home I stopped by a Redbox to get a movie and we had already watched everything from their new releases screen on the ship. We brought tons of movies/shows for the 5 days of sea crossing and didn't watch one of them.

20180921_185351.jpg

Thanks SO much for the update, aduck.  I'm hard-headed  a080.gif, so I'm still gonna try it!  I even purchased a small tool from Home Depot to get behind the set...so I gotta use it!! 

1 hour ago, skennedy25 said:

why would you even want to.  The regal and royal always have alot of great movies on it and alot that are pretty recent.  We are usually able to knock off like 8 moviers or more that were in the theaters recently

It's not just about showing movies from home. It would be great if we could review the days photos on the big screen. :)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 3:24 PM, aduck said:

The HDMI 1.4 spec from 2009 integrates ethernet (100mbps full duplex) capability (aka HEC, HDMI Ethernet Channel) in to the connection so it certainly has the capability of being monitored over the distribution network if they wanted to engineer the solution that way. They could monitor HDMI status indirectly from the convertor box, too, since HDMI is based on two-way data signaling. That being said, I doubt they care if you unplug the HDMI unless you complain, report that you can't plug it back in, or damage it.

On the Royal in Feb one of the bartenders had disconnected their HDMI input & used the port for his own movies. Princess knew it had been disconnected & told him to reconnect it, so it is monitored. 

He also manage to get the password for the system from one of the IT guys.