Fascination Quick Review March 12-19

csj092809

We are on the Fascination June 11th! This will be our first cruise and I'm so excited. A couple of questions...what time does the boarding start? Our time is 1:30. Is that an early time? Also, do magnets work in the state rooms? I've read yes and no. We got FTTF but I'm thinking I need to return it. Thanks for your review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the Fascination June 11th! This will be our first cruise and I'm so excited. A couple of questions...what time does the boarding start? Our time is 1:30. Is that an early time? Also, do magnets work in the state rooms? I've read yes and no. We got FTTF but I'm thinking I need to return it. Thanks for your review!

Hey Kathy, we got to the pier around 11 and dropped off our bags. I can't say definitively when boarding started, but we just wanted to go explore so it didn't matter to us. We did come back around 2ish to check in and there were 0 lines. I've heard many board late since many cruisers actually live in PR. We bought 2 bottles of wine and some soda cans as well. We dropped off those items, freshened up and went exploring again. With FTTF you are eligible to board before the regular guests (suites, platinum, weddings, and diamond are first, then you). I personally would return it since there are no tender ports on this itinerary and exploring San Juan to me is just as important as the other ports (I really, really love San Juan).

Hopefully the OP can help you out as well!

Have fun!

Hey Kathy, we got to the pier around 11 and dropped off our bags. I can't say definitively when boarding started, but we just wanted to go explore so it didn't matter to us. We did come back around 2ish to check in and there were 0 lines. I've heard many board late since many cruisers actually live in PR. We bought 2 bottles of wine and some soda cans as well. We dropped off those items, freshened up and went exploring again. With FTTF you are eligible to board before the regular guests (suites, platinum, weddings, and diamond are first, then you). I personally would return it since there are no tender ports on this itinerary and exploring San Juan to me is just as important as the other ports (I really, really love San Juan).

Hopefully the OP can help you out as well!

Have fun!

We had FTTF and boarded around Noon. That is when we arrived from the airport. There were no long lines at all. Even when we got to the check in area there was no one there. FTTF is good if you have an early flight out after the cruise or if you anticipate spending a lot of time at guest services. Otherwise it does not make too much of a difference on this particular ship or port. Hope you have a great time!

I am not sure about the magnets :( Sorry. I had a 1:30 check in time but had FTTF and just walked in at noon and got right on ship. Others were doing the same without FTTF, so you can try around noon. :)

We just sailed this on Mar 19th. We had FTTF and were able to board and go straight to our room at 11:45. 1:30 was the earliest time to board if you don't have FTTF. I agree with the others - unless you are wanting to stay in your room after you board that early, or are wanting to disembark early, the FTTF isn't really needed. The walls of the staterooms have a vinyl veneer so magnets don't work there, but they do work on the ceiling and the door frame.

He had the age question for us once, as well. We asked if we could have an extra point for each year younger we put down, lol. He was a big part of the fun on our cruise.

And for anyone sailing soon who might play trivia, Jay Jay is 29. His birthday is in July. (I had guessed 28, so was basically one month off.)

Strange question for you....how long are the piers at each port? I'm asking because I have a problem walking/being able to stand (example-pier at Cozumel) is too long for me so I stay on the ship. If there are a lot of places to sit along the way, then I'm ok (I can manage Roatan since there are benches along the path up to the shops).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just sailed this on Mar 19th. We had FTTF and were able to board and go straight to our room at 11:45. 1:30 was the earliest time to board if you don't have FTTF. I agree with the others - unless you are wanting to stay in your room after you board that early, or are wanting to disembark early, the FTTF isn't really needed. The walls of the staterooms have a vinyl veneer so magnets don't work there, but they do work on the ceiling and the door frame.

Thank you for that information!!

We were on the March 12th cruise. It was amazing!! We arrived around 1130 and our boarding time was 1pm. We did not have FTTF and we were able to board right away. Walked right up to the counter and then onto the ship! Absolutely no lines! HTH,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for directing me here - question about the dining - we did MTD on RCL - but we were able to make a reservation the first day for the rest of the week at 730 - can you make reservations, or is it truly first come first served when you show up?

thanks.

Strange question for you....how long are the piers at each port? I'm asking because I have a problem walking/being able to stand (example-pier at Cozumel) is too long for me so I stay on the ship. If there are a lot of places to sit along the way, then I'm ok (I can manage Roatan since there are benches along the path up to the shops).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some are pretty long, but the long ones usually have golf carts or pedi-cab things that will give you a ride for like a buck a person.

Thanks for directing me here - question about the dining - we did MTD on RCL - but we were able to make a reservation the first day for the rest of the week at 730 - can you make reservations, or is it truly first come first served when you show up?

thanks.

I am unaware of being able to make a reservation in YTD. I have never heard of anyone being able to do it. We went at 5:45 every night because of kid activities. Never had a problem except formal nights..everyone wants to go early so they can go do pictures and catch shows, etc. Even when the line looks long, they do a pretty good job of moving it pretty quickly. The exception is if you request the same waitstaff every night. You can end up waiting longer. It was worth it to us, since Mama Maria was so amazing.

We are doing this itinerary in October. I have been doing a lot of reading.

We are staying in San Juan a few days before the cruise. Will we be able to check out of the hotel, go to the port and drop our bags and spend the day exploring? If we are carrying on our allowed bottles of wine, can we put them in the cabin?

I have heard several people say they have dropped their wine and then gone into town and gotten two more. When they reboard, do they just tell them that this is their allowed bottles? How does anyone know? Or do they tell you to take them to the table set up and you get it back after the cruise?

I am trying to figure out when to bring on our wine.

thank you!

Fascination is a smaller ship, some passengers embark in Barbados. Check in is from 11-8. Don't waste your money on FTTF. Everything I've read is there are NO lines at embarkation.

We sailed on this ship this past August. I agree there were no lines at embarkation, and we arrived a little earlier than the time we were supposed to board as the whole airport process was quicker than expected, And our cabin was ready. You do not need. FTTF on this ship.