First time cruiser afraid of not seeing land coming with seasoned cruisers

debbie4414

Downloaded maps.me and did finally get British Columbia to load. Couldn't find Ketchikan or Juneau specifically, but they seem to zoom in from the Alaska map.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You might be correct on that. I do remember that I got burned on one trip because I didn't download the cities, but perhaps that was big European cities and not Alaska - so maybe I was wrong. I will double check.

For those of you using the maps.me app, which maps did you download? I am cruising RT out of Vancouver in mid June, so was looking at Vancouver, British Columbia and Alaska, and assume you can zoom in to those areas as you pass through? There doesn't seem to be a way to look for more ocean-centric areas like "Inside Passage." Will those three maps cover me? I haven't used the app before. And as I am typing this I am finding I am unable to download the British Columbia map, but have Alaska and Vancouver.

To appreciate sights along the cruise itinerary, check your library or buy Joe Upton's book " The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A mile by mile guide "

I do have the book, "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond, which has a large, removable map of the various cruise ship routes with mileage as well as smaller, more detailed maps inside the book of the various ports. I am always interested in having other options for finding info and the maps.me is definitely another great source. I watched a YouTube video of how to use it which helped. Thanks for all the tips!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I took an inside passage cruise on NCL. It stopped at Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria and we also spent a day cruising through Glacier Bay National Park. You can definitely take an inside passage cruise that cruises through Glacier Bay, you just have to search the right cruise lines. There are a few threads that thoroughly specify which lines cruise Glacier Bay.

I found that I saw much more land than the other cruises I have been on (Caribbean, Mediterranean, Pacific Coast), but probably not enough for someone who is afraid of cruising and not seeing land. Especially at nighttime.[/quo

Thanks I haven't come across any itineraries that include both I will keep on the hunt for that.

We are hopeful she will be fine once she is onboard she hasnt actually tried it.

I'm doing both. My cruise actually simply says sea day on the day when we do the inside passage. Just as an FYI--we are going on Island Princess in Sept. I think Princess and Holland could be your better bet.

You'll see more land out of Vancouver B.C. than leaving from Seattle, but even so there will be passages where land will not be seen. Another factor is bad weather as in rain and fog. That will limit visibility. To help your friend, and also give you some idea about what actually constitutes "the inside passage", I recommend Joe Upton's Alaska Cruise Handbook, which contains wonderful, detailed maps and is a "mile by mile guide" to cruising Alaska. You can purchase it directly, or via Amazon, a book store, or even check it out from your local library:

http://www.alaskacruisehandbook.com/achbook.html

I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book! It's a gem!

Why would someone who is terrified of not seeing land and cruising in general take a cruise. Makes as much sense as someone who is afraid of heights driving to the top of Pikes Peak. How are they planning to get to AK - by car?.

Check out this site - http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm. If you are 20 feet about the ground, your line of site to the horizon is 5.5 miles. You will be more than 5.5 miles from the shore for much of your cruise.

DON

That is for distance to horizon so would be true for someplace very flat like Florida. In the Pacific Northwest, there are mountains close to shore which could be visible much farther.

A round trip from Vancouver should have land in sight most of the time. On one ways, the ship can be far from land getting to Anchorage/Seward/Whittier.