Travel Journal/Blog?

HKM

I've been sending e-mails to interested friends as we travel. However, on our upcoming trip I'd like to try writing a blog (open only to friends). Does anyone have experience with this? I'm trying an iOS App called travelpod. The problem I'm having is that it won't accept "at sea" as a location. You have to select a "land" site. Does anyone have a solution or a better recommendation? Thanks in advance.

I've been sending e-mails to interested friends as we travel. However, on our upcoming trip I'd like to try writing a blog (open only to friends). Does anyone have experience with this? I'm trying an iOS App called travelpod. The problem I'm having is that it won't accept "at sea" as a location. You have to select a "land" site. Does anyone have a solution or a better recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Try this CC member,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=197157

and her blog address http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/

I haven't worked with Travelpod, although it looks like a quality product.

If you are looking for a turnkey travel blogging solution, there are a number of possibilities.

If you feel adventurous and want to do a little bit of site prep work prior to your travels, like setting up a blog site, picking an appearance or theme, and creating an organizational system inside that blog; then you could use any of the free generic blogging engines out there. Tumblr is great for quick posts with photos. There is also Blogger which has a rather user friendly interface. Wordpress is a great blogging platform, and can do much more than just blogging, but with more power and functionality there is usually a significant reduction in ease of use. Any of the above could help you publish pages for others to read.

You might be happier with a travel blog platform. You've already found one, Travelpod. Another you might want to look at is Trip Journal.

I found this link which includes other options which may be better than an open blog plaform like Blogger or Wordpress.

http://www.blogherald.com/2015/04/15/best-apps-for-travel-bloggers/

However, it is my impression that there are not an extended list of turnkey travel blog systems and that most active travel bloggers have actually gone the long route and created a Tumblr, Blogger, or Wordpress site for their blogging activities.

I use an app called BlogTouch Pro for iOS. It's the best one I've found since the iOS 10 upgrade rendered the Blogger app useless. I wrote and published over 100 posts with it last winter and never had a moment's trouble. I love that I can resize and center pics right in the app, and insert links. I think it cost $5 or so, which, after I spent most of one night trying to find one that would work, seemed a bargain.

The bottom of this post shows the app icon:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2016/10/some-housekeeping-details.html

To keep it private, just don't share it on Google (mine is not shared so someone cannot just stumble across it) and only share the address with those you want to read it. Mine was private the first year as it was intended to just keep in touch with friends and family. To make it publuc, I simply listed the address here on Cruise Critic.

I highly recommend blogging in some way. It is time consuming, but when the vacation is long over it certainly helps preserve the memories. It also holds me accountable every day of our vacation. I have to do something that is blog worthy or be honest when I don't.

I have been blogging since 2009 and over 800 blog posts. I have always enjoyed journaling and journaled all my trips in books. Back in 2008 blogs were just getting going and started by writing my journals in my blog. Then other cruise friends were interested so I started sharing there and here on Cruise Critic.

As the blog grew and my interest in cruises grew the whole thing just expanded. I started putting labels in my blog so others could easily find information about specific ports, events, and ship.

I have had over half a million views and it just blows me away that people still read it.

As Jeannie said it is time consuming and some days it is a chore but most of the time it is a lot of fun and I enjoy doing it.

Now I have a youtube channel, webpage that is all done in my spare time and is non revenue.

I have had the pleasure of running into people who recognize me while on ships and have then become a part of my blog.

I will keep doing it while I enjoy it and others appreciate it.

I use Blogger and their free app and at times the parameters are limiting however for most basic bloggers it would be just fine.

Share your blog when you get it up.