sailing the NCL Getaway on April 23. Looking for any tips, ideas and suggestions

izzie06

We have reserved some dinners. I found this odd that we have to reserve shows. We have only used Carnival and never had to do this. Have heard mixed reviews. Anyone feel like a quick review with suggestions?? having hard time picking excursions as well.

We have reserved some dinners. I found this odd that we have to reserve shows. We have only used Carnival and never had to do this. Have heard mixed reviews. Anyone feel like a quick review with suggestions?? having hard time picking excursions as well.

For excursions check out the ports of call forums. Link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Edited by ColeThornton

We didn't reserve shows- just showed up 30 minutes before and waited in line and got in. If you have $99 per person - go to the Vibe. You have to be on ship super early, tickets sold out in 20 minutes.

We avoid the Garden café, especially first morning- crazy with people eating from the buffett, reaching in front of you. As soon as you get on- tour the ship from top down, so you can acclimate yourself to the ship. Take the stairs as often as you can. If you have a late flight, when you depart, sleep in, leisure breakfast then walk off- otherwise it is a zoo

I went from Carnival to NCL and have not looked back! :) If you want to be sure to get a good seat reserve the show you want online-I am one of those cruisers who likes to reserve seating! :) I reviewed the Getaway here-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/norwegian-getaway-review.html and a blog post about the freestyle dining concept here-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/what-is-freestyle-dining-on-norwegian.html from our cruises on the Getaway!

I went from Carnival to NCL and have not looked back! :) If you want to be sure to get a good seat reserve the show you want online-I am one of those cruisers who likes to reserve seating! :) I reviewed the Getaway here-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/norwegian-getaway-review.html and a blog post about the freestyle dining concept here-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/what-is-freestyle-dining-on-norwegian.html from our cruises on the Getaway!

I am Platinum with Carnival and now I am gold on NCL. Getaway is our favorite ship the shows are great howl at the moon is so much fun also if you like escape rooms they do one on the ship go to the box office and booked it, it is free and a lot of fun. if you go to Harvest Caye and cant find a lounge chair just find a worker and they will bring them anywhere you want most people don't know that. either get off at 715 am or wait to be the last this is the area that they really failed on our trip. sit out side at night on the water front it so relaxing and they have nice chairs to sit in. I cant wait to go back

Hi, We will be on the Sailing on 04/23 looking to do Roatan excursion through this link:

http://www.svfreeradical.com/book.html

I just got off the Getaway, and I admit I didn't like the whole reservation thing. The reason for reservations is there are too many aboard for the limited space in the theater, plus lounges. In my opinion, some of the pay restraunts should be eliminated to make space for at least one decent size lounge. Probably the two restaurants above the tropicana. A person shouldn't have to be put in the position to have do do a lot of research and planning to take a simple cruise. Rather, if something on board looks worthwhile it's always been nice in the past to just join in. This way it isn't so easily done, a lot of cruisers expressed a dislike to this method. Another thing, there isn't a different show in the main theater each night. Two shows take up four nights, again because of lack of space.

As for eating, the buffet as mentioned suffers the worst lack of space overall. I'm a early riser, no issues for breakfast. I'd say before 7:30 your safe, I was normally there around 6 am after a couple miles of jogging. If your a jogger, you may want to start by 6 am, otherwise you will be dodging the general public as the jogging track also lacks any space.

I'll be doing a full review in a couple days when I get back home. Too hard to type on a iPad for me.

I just got off the Getaway, and I admit I didn't like the whole reservation thing. The reason for reservations is there are too many aboard for the limited space in the theater, plus lounges. In my opinion, some of the pay restraunts should be eliminated to make space for at least one decent size lounge.

I think the space dedicated to the Haven area is what eats the most space.

We made our dinner reservations and Burn the Floor reservations weeks before we sailed. We enjoy eating early so we can get to earlier shows. Just works for us. We felt specialty dining on the Getaway far exceeded MDR such as Savor and Taste. We didn't mind having to pay extra but we were just a party of two. My favorite $8 bottle of wine cost $39 on the ship though.

We made show reservations, such as the comedians and Million Dollar Quartet once we got on the boat. The comedians perform at the Headliners Comedy Club and seating is quite limited. You needed reservations for Tuesday and Thursday night. Wednesday's show was in the main theatre. No reservations needed for Howl at the Moon. Entertainment was very good. Can't comment on the illusionist.

We have reserved some dinners. I found this odd that we have to reserve shows. We have only used Carnival and never had to do this.

This is the world of the Megaship (across cruise lines). You the math is simple. The port to starboard theater holds 800 people. The main shows do 4 performances each. 800 * 4 shows = 3200 seats. Ship normally has 4200-4500 guests. There are not enough seats on the lifeboat,,, I mean theater. Especially if 3000 people show up for the last show,,,, for the 800 seat theater.