Early Saver booking

I have recently booked, through a TA, a Ventura cruise on an Early Saver fare (despite 20 + cruises with P&O this is my first Early saver booking)

I chose an Inside PF grade as for me this was the best potential cabin location for our trip but now find 2 days later that I am not allowed to say 'do not upgrade'

Have others experienced this issue and why bother to offer a grade choice if you may not get it anyway?

By the way the lady I spoke to in P&O to ask why this was, was quite rude ! really disappointing.....

why bother to offer a grade choice if you may not get it anyway?

Because that is the minimum grade you will get.

On some (but not all) cruises they will offer different grades of cabin on Saver fares at different prices.

The Saver fare simply says you won't get a cabin officially worse than the grade you booked. Even though it is a higher grade it may worse for you, so if you don't want to take the risk, don't book a Saver fare.

And to anticipate the "well P&O could do x, y, or z", they could but they don't because Saver fares give them flexibility and allows them to get maximum occupancy.

So if you book a Saver you either have to ask yourself "do I feel lucky" or "do I care".

The 'Do Not Upgrade' option is only available on a Select booking and not on Saver/ Early Saver...... and even then, if you have a booked a Guaranteed cabin with a Select booking, you don't have that option. As insanemagnet says, you are not booking a specific cabin but the lowest category and they guarantee that this is the lowest category you will get.

Well I have learned something new, I was looking for the "do not upgrade" and could not find it and now I know why.

I had selected a grade I was happy with, which was half way up the choices - I would have been as well taking the very bottom one and paying less.

Hey ho we are not too picky about location anyway and as we seldom if ever get an upgrade chances are it will be in the area we selected anyway.

I do however think that P&O should make this clearer to those booking. It is very clear that you don't get perks and that you don't get to select a cabin number there is however nothing to indicate that they can change the grade level you picked. Why would anyone select anything other than the very cheapest one otherwise (by cabin type)

We also booked an Early Saver fare at the Ta but then because of the ' deal ' we saw in the window but when we went into book , we booked on the Select and got the return coach which is £100 usually , shuttle buses , £200 on board , freedom dining and a choice of upgrade. Haven't been allocated a cabin yet but will see if they do upgrade. I personally am not bothered as if I had wanted a superior cabin then I would have booked that in the first place.

As this is our first time ,why do they call it an Early Saver when we have only just booked a month ago and are going in June? Rather a misnomer?

Well I have learned something new, I was looking for the "do not upgrade" and could not find it and now I know why.

I had selected a grade I was happy with, which was half way up the choices - I would have been as well taking the very bottom one and paying less.

Hey ho we are not too picky about location anyway and as we seldom if ever get an upgrade chances are it will be in the area we selected anyway.

I do however think that P&O should make this clearer to those booking. It is very clear that you don't get perks and that you don't get to select a cabin number there is however nothing to indicate that they can change the grade level you picked. Why would anyone select anything other than the very cheapest one otherwise (by cabin type)

I totally agree what is the point ! and I've scoured the terms and conditions and cannot find anything that says you cannot opt out of upgrades

When I booked there were several grades listed all at the same price as the PF I booked but I specifically chose PF for the location of that range of cabins, guess I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed for the next few weeks. Normally I wouldn't care where we were but I'm travelling with my cousin and daughter & they have their opinions too !!.... feel like it could be a long few weeks ..... never again

I totally agree what is the point ! and I've scoured the terms and conditions and cannot find anything that says you cannot opt out of upgrades

When I booked there were several grades listed all at the same price as the PF I booked but I specifically chose PF for the location of that range of cabins, guess I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed for the next few weeks. Normally I wouldn't care where we were but I'm travelling with my cousin and daughter & they have their opinions too !!.... feel like it could be a long few weeks ..... never again

Does it depend on where or when you book or has that nothing to do with it? We were offered an option of out or in for an upgrade when we booked at the T.a

Sounds as if you have booked a Select Fare though, Mrs Tinkywinky, and I think you do have a good chance of getting a move if you are not happy with your allocation. And no, it makes no difference whether you book direct or with a TA.

Canberra forever, I think that is because when you book a Saver fare, you cannot choose a cabin to be upgraded from. When you book a Saver, you are booking a grade where they guarantee that they will allocate you a cabin of that grade or higher. That is not technically classified as an upgrade even though a lot of folk call it that if they are allocated a grade higher than that which they have booked. If you want a cabin in the lowest grade and to stay in the lowest grade because of its location, the only way to secure this, I have found, is to book really early with a Select booking and slap a 'No Upgrade' on it.

Edited by Scriv

Canberra forever, I think that is because when you book a Saver fare, you cannot choose a cabin to be upgraded from. When you book a Saver, you are booking a grade where they guarantee that they will allocate you a cabin of that grade or higher. That is not technically classified as an upgrade even though a lot of folk call it that if they are allocated a grade higher than that which they have booked. If you want a cabin in the lowest grade and to stay in the lowest grade because of its location, the only way to secure this, I have found, is to book really early with a Select booking and slap a 'No Upgrade' on it.

I so wish I had :(

The P&O fairy must have been looking out for me because although my cruise isn't until the 23rd June they've allocated my cabin already P236 just what I wanted PF grade :) I am so relieved and can now look forward to my trip rather than dreading it :)

Thank you for all your comments

Happy sailing

Edited by Canberra forever !
spelling error