Carnival Pride wifi

Hello all, I will be cruising in three weeks on the pride and I am wondering about the wifi on the pride. We will be on Panorama with an aft extended balcony... I want to be able to send imessages, and facetime mostly, I want to be able to stay in contact with my parents. So my question is, what kind of experience has everyone had with the wifi and what level did you get, is it worth it, or should I just look into how much it would be to have it through Verizon? And besides that this is our first cruise and tips and tricks would be helpful!

Thank you all in advance and happy cruising! :D

Hello all, I will be cruising in three weeks on the pride and I am wondering about the wifi on the pride. We will be on Panorama with an aft extended balcony... I want to be able to send imessages, and facetime mostly, I want to be able to stay in contact with my parents. So my question is, what kind of experience has everyone had with the wifi and what level did you get, is it worth it, or should I just look into how much it would be to have it through Verizon? And besides that this is our first cruise and tips and tricks would be helpful!

Hi - I was on the Pride last October and will be back on the Pride next month - I bought the social package for my iPad and it was good. I could connect my phone when I logged off the iPad all in the same package. I was mid-ship on deck 7 and didn't have a problem with the signal.

• Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

From Verizon's website:

2d523b47e19966ae6d9f97b8c280f758.jpg

If you look in the bottom corner, it says that mobile data is not available on cruise ships. Even if it were, it would probably be some ridiculous price.

Their daily international plan has a price of $2.05 per MB. To put it in perspective, a 10 minute FaceTime call will use approximately 25 MB or more. So that 10 minutes cost you over $50. Not worth it.

The wifi plans look to be pretty reasonable. From what I hear, you will be able to Imessage back home even on the smallest (social) plan. I don't believe FaceTime is supported on any plans, but the most expensive plan says you can use Skype, so that might be an option for you too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the information. I was looking for anyone that has personal experience with using the wifi with imessage and facetime as my parents do not use Skype or facebook. Trying to prepare how to be able to communicate with them. I guess I should have phrased it differently.

Kel040 did you happen to try using imessage or facetime with you package? And thank you for the info on your experience!

Firemanbobswife thank you for letting me know about the imessage, hope it works for me :-)

I message on the Pride seemed to work most of the time but not always.

The WiFi on Pride was better then my recent experience on Liberty. Last year on Pride I was able to make a call home through Facebook. This year on Liberty, I couldn't get it to connect.

I would recommend using the whatsup app. That has worked consistently on all my cruises as well as friends of mine who went on a cruise and communicated with me while I was home. Its a free app and easy to use.

I would steer clear of using your verizon. Verizon may offer reasonable rates, but the ships service can get pricy. There have been people here who have had bills over $500. Best to keep your phone on airplane mode and use the ships WiFi.

• 2 weeks later...

I used ATT cruise plan a few years back and it ended up being a nightmare. Took me months to clear up my bill. This wifi package seems very reasonable! Would you have to pay 2X if you had 2 phones but were in the same cabin? And what if I wanted to use my kindle? Would I have to pay for that separately?

Appreciate your help:)

The pride has horrible wifi. I got off 2 days ago I bought the social plan. It barely worked. I would sit there constantly trying to get anything to work. All I got was network error and watches the load circle turning and turning. The iMessage did work. I used it to talk back and forth with my sister on the same cruise who also had the social plan. She also used the iMessage to talk to her husband at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This might be a dumb question but would the social plan include the carnival hub app and be able to use that message feature for others on the cruise? Tia...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The hub app itself is free. The messaging through hub is a one time fee of $5 (per person) for the entire cruise. Messaging through hub is optional, you can use the app without it.

It is recommended to download the app before you board

For phone calls on your IPhone check out the app Viber. It is calls placed over wifi. I used it a lot while on my cruise and calls to others that have the Viber app is free. Calls to people/Land Lines that do not have the app is only 1.9 cents a minute if you call via the app. Call clarity is very good. Highly recommend. Saved me a lot of money as I to have to keep in touch with work. So download Viber and have your parents download it and calls are free as long as your connected to wifi. Play with it before you go on the cruise to see how it works.

we sail on the Pride annually ....we book a Vista Suite, which is the back corner (right next to the extended aft balcony cabins)....We get the social media package (mostly to post vaca pics to fb)...and have not had a problem with the wifi in our cabin nor our balcony....

With that being said....let me add....as time marches on and technology advances...and more and more passengers are using the wifi....if Carnival does not keep up with the latest equipment, etc....there could be an overwhelming drain on their wifi....

but as of last year, we had no problem with the wifi

we sail on the Pride annually ....we book a Vista Suite, which is the back corner (right next to the extended aft balcony cabins)....We get the social media package (mostly to post vaca pics to fb)...and have not had a problem with the wifi in our cabin nor our balcony....

With that being said....let me add....as time marches on and technology advances...and more and more passengers are using the wifi....if Carnival does not keep up with the latest equipment, etc....there could be an overwhelming drain on their wifi....

but as of last year, we had no problem with the wifi

Thank you so much for this information! That is exactly what I was looking for! As I do not want to download any new apps onto my phone or my parents ipad, its hard enough to explain how to use the apps they do have.

The pride has horrible wifi. I got off 2 days ago I bought the social plan. It barely worked. I would sit there constantly trying to get anything to work. All I got was network error and watches the load circle turning and turning. The iMessage did work. I used it to talk back and forth with my sister on the same cruise who also had the social plan. She also used the iMessage to talk to her husband at home.

Where were you located trying to use the wifi that it barely worked? Good to know that the imessage worked, that helps out a lot knowing that!

I used ATT cruise plan a few years back and it ended up being a nightmare. Took me months to clear up my bill. This wifi package seems very reasonable! Would you have to pay 2X if you had 2 phones but were in the same cabin? And what if I wanted to use my kindle? Would I have to pay for that separately?

Appreciate your help:)

Only one device can be hooked up at a time.

So you could share the plan, but not be on at the same time.

Where were you located trying to use the wifi that it barely worked? Good to know that the imessage worked, that helps out a lot knowing that!

I had issues everywhere. In my room 5108. In the sports bar, red frog pub, dining room, steak house, atrium bar. You name it I had issues everywhere. Same with my sister so it wasn't my phone. Last year I had the premium plan on the pride and had similar issues. Nothing would load.

I was on the vista in January and had the social plan. It was great. Fast and never had an issue with connectivity. I was even able to make phone calls through the WhatsApp that is included with the social plan. I called home every day to my mother in laws WhatsApp on her phone to talk to the kids.

Okay, since it doesn't sound like it would work for us to have all 3 phones on the one account, what would your suggestions be for being able to message each other throughout the cruise. (want to keep tabs on the teenagers). Cheapest way possible!

Okay, since it doesn't sound like it would work for us to have all 3 phones on the one account, what would your suggestions be for being able to message each other throughout the cruise. (want to keep tabs on the teenagers). Cheapest way possible!

Hub app messaging for each person. $5 each for the duration of your cruise- $15 total for 3 phones. They will not be able to message people back home though.

Thank you for the information. I was looking for anyone that has personal experience with using the wifi with imessage and facetime as my parents do not use Skype or facebook. Trying to prepare how to be able to communicate with them. I guess I should have phrased it differently.

Kel040 did you happen to try using imessage or facetime with you package? And thank you for the info on your experience!

Firemanbobswife thank you for letting me know about the imessage, hope it works for me :-)

Sorry, I did not use Facetime but I did use Facebook Messenger and it worked ok - I didn't carry my phone around during the day and only really just logged on in the evening to post pictures and send messages to some family and friends. :)

• 2 months later...
Sorry, I did not use Facetime but I did use Facebook Messenger and it worked ok - I didn't carry my phone around during the day and only really just logged on in the evening to post pictures and send messages to some family and friends. :)

did you call or video call via Facebook Messenger? and what package did you purchase?

I was on the Pride last month and purchased the social media package for $5/day. It was ok, not great, but ok. I'm glad I got it though. I had access to Facebook and Snapchat and was able to message family/friends back home with Facebook messenger as well as Snapchat. Posting text and photos was pretty quick, but any video I wanted upload took forever. I did notice it worked faster in the mornings, there must have been less people up that early!

• 2 weeks later...
I was on the Pride last month and purchased the social media package for $5/day. It was ok, not great, but ok. I'm glad I got it though. I had access to Facebook and Snapchat and was able to message family/friends back home with Facebook messenger as well as Snapchat. Posting text and photos was pretty quick, but any video I wanted upload took forever. I did notice it worked faster in the mornings, there must have been less people up that early!

Did you just send messages on Facebook or did you video call anyone?