No more adult only aft pools?

• 6 months later...

Before I had children, I wanted my space away from other kids. My first time on Carnival, I realized it was not the line for me (before kids) and I cruised other lines as they tend to cater more to the family market. In fact, back then, I swore I'd never sail with them again LOL. After having kids, and they reached a reasonable cruise age, we first tried our old favorite cruise line... and quickly realized it was not the line for taking young kids. We rethought Carnival and decided to give it a try.... what do you know.... it has been, by far, our favorite line as a family and we have more sailings with them than any other.

My point to this is - It is totally understandable to want your adult only space - but when it comes to cruising, if that is important to you, you should pick a different cruise line. I can tell you that as a mom, these mega ships don't have enough pool and hot tub space for all the families on board as it is, so yeah, having an adult only one go unused is annoying. Have you ever seen the lines for the water slides on a sea day? UGH. Anyway, if my husband and I were going without kids.... it would not be on Carnival.

Anyway, if my husband and I were going without kids.... it would not be on Carnival.
I have to assume that you're not familiar with the Havana area currently on the Vista and upcoming sister ships Horizon and Panorama. It's an area located on deck 5 aft with a pool, 2 hot tubs, a bar and only those people staying in a Havana cabin have access to the area until 7:00 PM each day. To sweeten the deal, nobody under the age of 12 can stay in one of those cabins.

I have to assume that you're not familiar with the Havana area currently on the Vista and upcoming sister ships Horizon and Panorama. It's an area located on deck 5 aft with a pool, 2 hot tubs, a bar and only those people staying in a Havana cabin have access to the area until 7:00 PM each day. To sweeten the deal, nobody under the age of 12 can stay in one of those cabins.

Just got off NCL in a Haven cabin. It was basically a daycare in the courtyard. Total disaster. Havana sounds like what Haven was supposed to be.

Before I had children, I wanted my space away from other kids. My first time on Carnival, I realized it was not the line for me (before kids) and I cruised other lines as they tend to cater more to the family market. In fact, back then, I swore I'd never sail with them again LOL. After having kids, and they reached a reasonable cruise age, we first tried our old favorite cruise line... and quickly realized it was not the line for taking young kids. We rethought Carnival and decided to give it a try.... what do you know.... it has been, by far, our favorite line as a family and we have more sailings with them than any other.

My point to this is - It is totally understandable to want your adult only space - but when it comes to cruising, if that is important to you, you should pick a different cruise line. I can tell you that as a mom, these mega ships don't have enough pool and hot tub space for all the families on board as it is, so yeah, having an adult only one go unused is annoying. Have you ever seen the lines for the water slides on a sea day? UGH. Anyway, if my husband and I were going without kids.... it would not be on Carnival.

Again, not all people that don’t want to share a pool with kids are looking for a kid free cruise. There are those of us that have kids that enjoy doing certain things without them. Pool time can be one of them. So people that keep saying to choose a different line to stay away from kids are totally missing the point. From what I understand even Disney has adult only areas. Is there even a more family friendly cruise line in existence than that?

As far as an adult only pool going unused, well I haven’t seen that yet except for maybe close to pool closing time. But even then there have been a couple people swimming.

I’m glad Carnival listened and put them back to adult only.

I understand. I know needing space for families is important. But I'm in my 30's. I don't need to sail without kids completely to have a good time. I plan to use the slides and main pool area, which I know will have many children. I just want some space to put my feet in the water without getting splashed or having people screaming and playing next to me for an hour or so. I don't think it's fair to say I need to go on ships geared towards older people in order to get that. I went on a Disney ship and had no issues being near kids most of the time, AND I was able to get away in the adult only area with a hot tub and a small pool to sit in and relax when I wanted. But, I suppose that line is quite a step above Carnival in my mind, and you pay for it too lol.

I 100% agree with you that there isn't enough pool space for most of these ships. I will be on the Magic next month and I already know I won't be happy. At least the Serenity area has small hot tubs, but in my experience, they don't enforce the "adult only" very well.

I think more of an issue is kids (and adults really) being respectful to those around them in the pools/hot tubs. Kids will be kids, but I see a lot of times on vacations where parents stop being parents.

I'm curious what line you tried with your family first that you felt wasn't kid friendly? I have never been on one of the main lines that didn't have an abundance of children! And I'm sorry that one you used to love didn't accommodate your family with children. Nothing worse than having a feeling about how great a vacation will be and then to have your expectations burst.

Again, not all people that don’t want to share a pool with kids are looking for a kid free cruise. There are those of us that have kids that enjoy doing certain things without them. Pool time can be one of them. So people that keep saying to choose a different line to stay away from kids are totally missing the point. From what I understand even Disney has adult only areas. Is there even a more family friendly cruise line in existence than that?

As far as an adult only pool going unused, well I haven’t seen that yet except for maybe close to pool closing time. But even then there have been a couple people swimming.

I’m glad Carnival listened and put them back to adult only.

Truth. Even traveling with my DD, I like to send her off to camp or to the water park with her dad and go to the adult only area. Disney is excellent at the separate adult only areas. On fantasy they had an entire floor with an assortment of bars and lounges.

I have only used the adult only pool on my last cruise which was Liberty of the Seas. My experience was that the pool always used. Usually at capacity (or above- rarely enforced). Except when they closed it in the middle of the afternoon on the last day of the cruise (sea day) to give a dive lesson (bad move Royal). Even then, there were plenty of people watching that dive lesson and waiting for it to get over.