Port Day in Naples

IamJo

Trying to decide between two tours. One is a full day of Capri, and the other is half Capri and half Pompeii. Is it possible to do both without selling either short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a half day trip to Capri once on a port stop because we had someplace in Naples to see in the morning and, while the family members who had never been to Capri still enjoyed it, I could see that it was a sub-par experience. I wouldn't go out there again unless I devoted the full day to it because it takes so long to get there and back (about an hour each way), plus worrying about having some "pad" time getting back to the ship ...

Yes, doing both Pompeii and Capri is going to limit your time on Capri! It is just simple math :). DW loves Capri and when we go (we do not take excursions) it is for a full day so that we have time to go to Anacapri, up to the top of Mt Solara, enjoy a long lunch, etc. But we also understand that many cruisers/tourists are not so sure they will ever be back at a specific place...and in that case there is something to say for trying to see both Capri and Pompeii. Your Capri excursions will certainly give you some time to walk around Capri Town...but you will likely not see more of the island. As to Pompeii, seeing ruins is really a personal thing. Some folks could spend an entire day walking around Pompeii, and others will be bored after an hour. Most tours will get you to the best known highlights and limit some of the walking. And just a warning that if you are going to Pompeii in the summer....it can be quite hot! Dress appropriately and make sure to take a hat :).

Hank

We "did" both, albeit on separate cruises. Pompeii as a private excursion that also included other places. For us, 2 hours in Pompeii was enough. Had Athens and Kusadasi/ Ephesus on the same cruise, so more than enough culture.

The thing with Pompeii is that you either go it in an hour or two and just run past the major highlights, or you spend a FULL day there and immerse yourself in the atmosphere with the help of a good local guide or book.

We LOVED Capri. That one was done as a full day ships tour . Purely out of convenience for the ferry shuttle organisation. We stayed with the group for the first half, the drive around, chair lift to the mountain top and such. Then we told the your leader we would meet the group at a set time by the pier for the boat ride back to Naples. We wandered around at leisure and had a sensational lunch at a restaurant in the most expensive street on one of Europe's most expensive islands. As we were reading the mouthwatering menu outside , a gentleman urged us to come in and have lunch. We were a bit reluctant so he said " we will feed you a beautiful lunch and if you don't like it, you don't pay" " yeah, sure!", I said, "I'm sure the owner would agree to that ". "I AM the owner", the man said, "please, come in".

So we did, and it was a sensational meal. Prosecco, appetizers (4 of the, because we could not decide), 2 mains, desserts, 4 glasses of matching wine, grappa and limoncello afterwards, coffee, pralines....

€200 Well spent, worth every cent.

Superb service, my wife insisted to give the chef a hug (And scored a cook book and z bottle of local red).

Bliss!