What to do in these ports?

RevCindy

Hello all,

We're going on our first cruise in Nov/Dec 2017. I'm trying to figure out what to do where.

Here's where we're going:

St. Thomas

Dominca

Barbados

St. Lucia

St. Maartan

Puerto Rico (only have a few hours between 3pm and 8pm)

Here's what we want to do:

Snorkel

Zip Line

Hike

ATV/Jeep/Rhino tour

Shop (men's watch and local specialties)

Not just lay on a beach

The trip is 3 adults. One is a scuba diver and he and myself have snorkeled in Belize so we're spoiled. But my son, 26-years-old, really wants to and we want him to have a good experience. He was looking at those underwater motorized bike thingys. In St. Maartan, we've done the America's Cup Racing experience, which we loved but don't want to repeat.

If we were to take a limo from the port to an excursion, which port would be the most reliable for that?

Also, can you really just walk of the ship and grab excursions? I don't want to overpay on the ship, but I AM a planner and am nervous about this part of our trip. (NCL Jade, staying in the Haven).

Thanks!

Most if not all of this has already been addressed on the forum.

Just click on Ports of Call, Caribbean and there will be links to information on different islands.

For instance, here is the link to Dominica

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

If you don't find the info you want, you can always click New Thread and ask your specific question for that specific island.

• 2 weeks later...
Most if not all of this has already been addressed on the forum.

Just click on Ports of Call, Caribbean and there will be links to information on different islands.

For instance, here is the link to Dominica

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

If you don't find the info you want, you can always click New Thread and ask your specific question for that specific island.

Thank you. Of course I have read all the ports of call posts. But it's too much information in too many different places to disseminate. I was hoping to get an informed answer from someone who had been to most, if not all, of these ports. I don't have a specific request for a specific island because I don't know which island is best for what, which is what I'm trying to find out.

Thank you. Of course I have read all the ports of call posts. But it's too much information in too many different places to disseminate. I was hoping to get an informed answer from someone who had been to most, if not all, of these ports. I don't have a specific request for a specific island because I don't know which island is best for what, which is what I'm trying to find out.

Hi RevCindy

I can read your excitement ,don't let anyone dampen it ! First cruise awesome. :) My only suggestion would be go to the port of calls, one night look at St Thomas write down what you like, the next night next port and so on. Then you can ask people how they like the excursion.

Half the fun of cruising is researching each port .... since you have never been before think of the possibilities!

Have fun ! Reader

PS> Barbados do a catamaran tour swim with the turtles

Edited by Reader0108598

I looked at your post earlier and the questions are so broad that I didn’t bother responding. The limo/excursion question confused me further!

Some suggestions (and do use the search function at the specific island forums to get more details on the recommendations here) –

St Thomas – Taxi to Sapphire Beach for snorkeling and a nice shaded spot on the beach. All the amenities of other beaches but because it’s home to condo properties it’s not as busy as other beaches like Coki. Taxi fare is $20pp round trip, there is a “$2 bus” option but you can waste precious time as you must walk to meet one, and they are often full of locals. Would recommend just hopping a taxi at the port. Lounges are $9pp and there is a dive shop renting snorkel gear, etc. If docked at Havensight and time allows hit Paradise Point after.

The beaches of STJ are very nice as well, but for snorkeling you'd want to go to one of the harder to reach spots like Waterlemon and would need a dedicated driver or rental, and enough time in port. Going to STJ adds about another 2 hrs to your travel time.

ATV/Island tour –

Dominica or St Lucia. For example if you visit the St Lucia page on CC and on trip advisor you’ll read about the atv/catamaran excursion.

Just take an island tour on Dominica, drivers at the port are waiting to please.

For St Maarten one of our favorite excursions in the Carib is the Golden Eagle catamaran.

www.sailingsxm.com

Hike – St Lucia

Shop – STT or SXM. If docked at Havensight on STT there are many shops right there.

San Juan - Walk/shop Old San Joan and enjoy dinner at one of the many excellent restaurants there.

Edited by blue_water
typos

Good to know you've already plowed through some of the POC threads

In that case:

St. Thomas

You can head over to St. John for snorkeling. I'm sure the ship will have an excursion but you can do it yourself. I admit I haven't looked but I'm pretty confident you can find the how-to on a St. Thomas POC thread.

Dominca

Not known for its beaches. Most tours are inland for the beautiful scenery and waterfalls.

St. Lucia

Many years ago, at Anse Chastenet, we did scuba diving. You may want to check with the resort.

As for shopping, make sure you buy from one of the well-known stores like Little Switzerland. And be sure to know your prices ahead of time. The joke is that St. Thomas was a haven for pirates and they are still there.

Again, not knowing your port times and days in port really makes it hard to make good recommendations. Your amount of time in port can limit your options, and on busier ship days we'd recommend something different than on quieter ship days. But if in STT 9 - 10 hrs also consider one of the excellent monohull day sails that moor off the cays of STJ and off Great St James and STT for great snorkeling. These include High Pockets, Yacht Nightwind, and New Horizons which takes a larger crowd.