NCL Escape - What would you do differently?

julie100

We are planning an extended family vacation on the Escape on April 29th (me, husband mid 50s, 3 college-aged kids, brother and Dad in 80s, who is a cancer patient on oxygen and part-time wheelchair). We have balcony cabins close by each other. We've cruised as a couple and with the kids but never with a family group like this. Any advice and for those that have been on the Escape before (St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau) - what would you do differently if you could? Thanks!:p

Just came back from the Escape and we loved it. Great ship lot of things to do. The speciality restaurants are really good

Cagneys is just amazing

Tempayaki is also really good but for the show you need a good Cook that's good entertainer ( We had Michael and what a show man really funny and knows how to make the dinner memorable )

Moderno we had the chance to eat on the Waterfront and it was an awesome experience ( watch out to eat to much [emoji12] )

Don't forget to book all your on board activities on the first day because they go fast. Company men in supper club was nice , The Brat pack and don't miss the shows of Andre the cruise director. We saw the perfect couples and the not so good wed and we laughed so hard.

For St Thomas we took a taxi by our own and went to Magens Bay. Nice beach no big waves. Chairs and umbrella were not cheap and we did without.

Tortola we did the beach day break excursion and they brought us at Cane garden Bay Beach and we loved it. Nice waves rentals we're affordable ( 15$ for 2 chairs and umbrella) a lot a spot for lunch.

Nassau we did the Atlantis discover and beach. We we're not impressed for the sea aquarium even if u take ur time it is really small

But for the beach Wow for those waves lovers that's the place. We went on the beach that's is on the right. Don't forget a board if u can bring one.

If you plan to eat at a specialty restaurant, book early if you can, it's harder to get a table for a larger group. Problem we found is a lot of times for tables of 8 they only show availability for early or late (like 5:30 or 8:30+) online ahead of time. You can call and they may be able to get you a better time, but don't wait on that. I would then book whichever is better, and if you want a better time try and change it once onboard. Better to have the reservation though just in case.

Outside of your dad, try and book the escape room, it's a lot of fun, especially as a group. They usually do teams of 8, but sometimes do teams of 10 (my wife and I were put on a team with a family of 8 already, but it was all good).

We loved the Brat Pack show (we're around 50 ourselves), the college kids will enjoy it as well. After Midnight is 1930s era Cotton Club music. It was nice and different and we enjoyed it...for about 45 minutes. Then we hit a wall and waited for it to end. A lot of people did it seemed, as there was a lot of walkouts around that point. Your dad may love it though.

Excursions may be tough with your dad, though he can probably do a siteseeing, wheelchair accessible tour. Nassau will be tough as well, it is not wheelchair friendly. Even though it's so close to the ship, it has narrow, cracked and broken sidewalks, and generally crowded as it's like 2 blocks wide and 8 blocks long.

Is there some sort of special assistance department that you could contact who may be able to assist with reservations? I feel there is?

About 5 years ago I went on a cruise with my mum and dad. Both are still around, but my mum is not fit to travel at all. Therefore, my biggest advice would be to make sure that you appreciate this time, take all the help that is given you and don't sweat the small stuff. Make good memories.

I had a row with my mum :(, mainly because I was treating her like an invalid. But, I console myself by saying all families fight!

Great suggestions, thanks for the tips. Will definitely go to the Brat Pack based on your suggestions. Going to check in for the cruise and start to make reservations. I'll want to get us a week pass for the thermal spa, I've done that before. I'll pass on Tempayaki, I didn't think the food was that great for the money. I love Cagney's and anything on the Waterfront, it's so nice, even during the day to sit out there and enjoy the water view (in the shade with quiet vs. the pool area which is total chaos, but some like that). Cookie - we will be doing a charter in St. Thomas - we've done that before and it's the best way to spend a day for sure!

Just came back from the Escape and we loved it. Great ship lot of things to do. The speciality restaurants are really good

Cagneys is just amazing

Tempayaki is also really good but for the show you need a good Cook that's good entertainer ( We had Michael and what a show man really funny and knows how to make the dinner memorable )

Moderno we had the chance to eat on the Waterfront and it was an awesome experience ( watch out to eat to much [emoji12] )

Don't forget to book all your on board activities on the first day because they go fast. Company men in supper club was nice , The Brat pack and don't miss the shows of Andre the cruise director. We saw the perfect couples and the not so good wed and we laughed so hard.

For St Thomas we took a taxi by our own and went to Magens Bay. Nice beach no big waves. Chairs and umbrella were not cheap and we did without.

Tortola we did the beach day break excursion and they brought us at Cane garden Bay Beach and we loved it. Nice waves rentals we're affordable ( 15$ for 2 chairs and umbrella) a lot a spot for lunch.

Nassau we did the Atlantis discover and beach. We we're not impressed for the sea aquarium even if u take ur time it is really small

But for the beach Wow for those waves lovers that's the place. We went on the beach that's is on the right. Don't forget a board if u can bring one.

How long were you at the beach on the Tortola excursion?

Several years ago we did a family group of 18 people. We designated one spot and time where we would meet for breakfast at the buffet. We would often do different things during the day - but again had a meeting spot by the pool. We always met for dinner together and took turns buying the dinner wine - years ago Magnums were sold for large groups. Don't forget to get a family photo. Enjoy your cruise!

clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Took a March cruise (check out my review of Escape):

Agree Brat Pack and not so much Midnight.

Ate at Cagney's 2x... exceptional. We booked late so very limited reservations open for specialty. We got to port and got on NCL's iConcierge app.... BINGO, made all week work of dining reservations while waiting to board. Might have a lil trouble connecting, I could but wife couldn't, search for happy spot... well worth it.

MUST... Howling at the Moon District Brewhouse (find night when piano player for xtra fun) Mojito Bar Samuel at H2O Spice,

Went to St John, looks like you got St Thomas covered; Tortola: went to Brewers Beach, cab was 1/2 the fun, $5 beach chairs and lots of shade trees, great view... good time, Nassau, walked around but was Very crowded streets cuz of 5 ships in port.

Enjoy quiet time in AM having coffee on Balcony though room service was on different time zone... 8:30 was 7:45 to them (leave couple $ tip on counter to find it sleepy eye'd) but got us up to enjoy the day!

ENJOY!!!

How long were you at the beach on the Tortola excursion?

Around 3 hours but it depends on the group because the driver ask before. If everybody is ok with a time set, we had to come back to him at the specific time near the bus. The ride to go is cool and they explain a lot of things and stop at some places for pictures. And to ride back is about 20 min because they use a shortcut and get ready to steep hill up and down. It's a hilly island and you have the full experience.

Cane Garden beach is good for those with mobility issues because the drop off is close to the beach.

We loved our time there and with the last call at 2h30 we came to the pier at 1h40 91a0da08970f767d18a4c846a5cf249d.jpg2147cad72edf9f227b2c5ebf8f23096a.jpg

We are planning an extended family vacation on the Escape on April 29th (me, husband mid 50s, 3 college-aged kids, brother and Dad in 80s, who is a cancer patient on oxygen and part-time wheelchair). We have balcony cabins close by each other. We've cruised as a couple and with the kids but never with a family group like this. Any advice and for those that have been on the Escape before (St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau) - what would you do differently if you could? Thanks!:p

Following :)

Around 3 hours but it depends on the group because the driver ask before. If everybody is ok with a time set, we had to come back to him at the specific time near the bus. The ride to go is cool and they explain a lot of things and stop at some places for pictures. And to ride back is about 20 min because they use a shortcut and get ready to steep hill up and down. It's a hilly island and you have the full experience.

Cane Garden beach is good for those with mobility issues because the drop off is close to the beach.

We loved our time there and with the last call at 2h30 we came to the pier at 1h40 91a0da08970f767d18a4c846a5cf249d.jpg2147cad72edf9f227b2c5ebf8f23096a.jpg

This looks wonderful! Does everyone have access to the water bouncer/trampoline or did that belong to someone with a boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it's not included but It seems to cost around 5$. But not sure .....

Two kids were checking it and they told everyone to get their wrist band to be allowed. The restaurant in front of the trampoline was maybe the place to get them.

The kids on it we're having great fun.

But for this excursion I'm not 100% sure they go there all the time. Look at the vid that explain the details of this beach day.

Maybe I'm wrong

Envoyé de mon SM-G925W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

I agree about the mojito bar and the waterfront. We discovered the joys of both on the last day. I had the best mojito of my life and enjoyed it in the quiet, comfortable chairs on the waterfront. Wish we would have done that a few more times.

We just got off of the Escape April 8th and loved it. Third Norwegian cruise and happy with all of them.

The only problem with this ship that you may encounter with someone in a wheelchair is the elevators. There are 16, 8 on either end of the ship. They seem to be very inefficient. Many times we would wait quite a bit for an elevator and it seemed like most of them were not changing floors. We would get on and the car would stop at every floor up or down and be packed with people. Very often we would take the stairs as that was much quicker.

Other than that loved the ship and will sail her again.

We just got off of the Escape April 8th and loved it. Third Norwegian cruise and happy with all of them.

The only problem with this ship that you may encounter with someone in a wheelchair is the elevators. There are 16, 8 on either end of the ship. They seem to be very inefficient. Many times we would wait quite a bit for an elevator and it seemed like most of them were not changing floors. We would get on and the car would stop at every floor up or down and be packed with people. Very often we would take the stairs as that was much quicker.

Other than that loved the ship and will sail her again.

In the elevators defence. The biggest problem with elevators are the passengers. It's crazy how many people don't grasp the concept of how they work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wish we had found the wine bar earlier in the week. Lovely, quiet spot with very knowledgeable staff. We asked for recommendations based on our tastes and included in the UPB and we were very pleased. They have a small snacking menu. The cheese board was perfect - and cost approx $10 (?) Well worth it.

In the elevators defence. The biggest problem with elevators are the passengers. It's crazy how many people don't grasp the concept of how they work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually the biggest problem with the elevators is the 4 elevators on each side are on different buttons. That's because they might go up, or down, a floor further on one side then the other. So some people hit one of the buttons and thus only call for half of the elevators. Then watch ones on the other side skip their floors. Meanwhile, other people hit buttons on both sides and jump on the first elevator that comes. That means the other side has a call button pressed so the elevator on the opposite side stops on the floor, even though no one is there to get on it.

It's a bad design of the elevator system.