NCL Escape - Person Overboard?

MotherofTrips

I was on board along with my wife I knew something was up when I got up to go to bathroom at 5 am and looked outside to see spot light in water after sun came up and other boats from area appeared and we were going around and around I knew for sure something was up we were supposed to be in Tortola at 7:00am and at about 10 til 7 they announced what had happen and that at about 3:45 am someone went over at about 7:20 they announced code aqua deck 7 port side that's where my wife seen them pulling a man that appeared to be naked out of the water lifeless this happened on Wednesday morning April 19 2017

Edited by Klcruising
Add date

I was on board along with my wife I knew something was up when I got up to go to bathroom at 5 am and looked outside to see spot light in water after sun came up and other boats from area appeared and we were going around and around I knew for sure something was up we were supposed to be in Tortola at 7:00am and at about 10 til 7 they announced what had happen and that at about 3:45 am someone went over at about 7:20 they announced code aqua deck 7 port side that's where my wife seen them pulling a man that appeared to be naked out of the water lifeless this happened on Wednesday morning April 19 2017

Yep, I was on the same cruise. They pulled him out of the water practically in front of our cabin on the port side. It was crazy! It was strange, though, that he only had a tank top on, and nothing else. When they pulled him out of the water, four men on the tender boat pulled him up with all their might, directly in front of hundreds of passengers all looking on from their staterooms and the public areas of the various decks. I've been in over 15 cruises and have never seen anything like it. It was sad. :(

At 3 AM I'm asleep. It's not that easy to fall from a cruise ship. A little common sense would prevent most. I worry more about losing my eyeglasses in the wind than being swept overboard. I think it's more distress/despair/alcohol/angry wives.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep, I was on the same cruise. They pulled him out of the water practically in front of our cabin on the port side. It was crazy! It was strange, though, that he only had a tank top on, and nothing else. When they pulled him out of the water, four men on the tender boat pulled him up with all their might, directly in front of hundreds of passengers all looking on from their staterooms and the public areas of the various decks. I've been in over 15 cruises and have never seen anything like it. It was sad. :(
Yes, us too. Same amount of cruises and never witnessed this. Was so awful and just a strange situation overall.

I was on the Escape when this happened. The man was found and they did recover his body. He floated in front of our balcony face down for about 15 minutes before a lifeboat even went to get him. He fell off the 14th deck and was traveling with his wife. A helicopter flew in and took him to a local hospital. Such a sad situation.

Not to be morbid, but the scientist in me needs to point out the likely scenario that he didn't jump naked. Assuming a headfirst fall and a more of a dive position, the water entry force could literally strip loose clothing off the body. (This also leads to other conclusions that I will not ponder on here out of respect)...

At 3 AM I'm asleep. It's not that easy to fall from a cruise ship. A little common sense would prevent most. I worry more about losing my eyeglasses in the wind than being swept overboard. I think it's more distress/despair/alcohol/angry wives.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He jumped. He didn't fall.

We had a deck 12 balcony on the escape . I don't get how he could fall off and the ramp is enough high and safe.

And how did he fall in the water because there is the roof over the waterfront level and all the tenders below.

Jumping off from what I saw, It's a sure landing on the roof.

Maybe i'm wrong or he did rebound

First pick we see a bit of the roof and the tender.

Second more roof

5c2f88a975066a629d2d6ce9f3189499.jpgfc24c9e71ce8282c0053c391a7150006.jpg

Truly a sad situation for all involved. Condolences to family and support to the crew and witnesses. I am impressed they were able to recover him ,as I don't think that happens very often. We recently sailed the Escape and while strolling on deck 7 one night, I actually commented I got a bit intimidated by the speed the water was rushing by and stepped back from the rail . Seems to me I've read about several in the last 6 months or so. While anyone who cruises realizes you don't just fall, its hard to convince non cruisers of that.

We were on the Celebrity Summit and our ship was involved in the search. Because of this detour/delay our ship had changed the port from Antigua and ended up in st croix.

With a cruise already shortened....

Really sad story this overboard thing...

It is sad for everyone when something like this happens. We have been on about 35 cruises and never witnessed anything like this, but we hear of it from time to time. I think common sense pretty much tells us, he jumped. My sympathy goes out to his family and yes, those who witnessed the recovery of the body.

I was on this cruise with my family. Very sad situation and tramautic for all that witnessed. Say a prayer for his soul and for his family. The crew did a great job handling this considering the circumstances. To all those that took pictures and videos shame on you. Why would you ever want to disrespect someone like that? I pray for you as well. NCL even stayed in Tortola longer to allow people who paid good money for their excursions to be able to still go. My daughter was able to swim with dolphins. Thank you NCL!