Empress of the Seas-Cuba

We loved the whole trip out of Miami on April 19th. We hadn't taken our kids on a cruise with us before, and this was the perfect one for them. I was told by a crew member in the Adventure Ocean Program that there were only 22 children onboard. LOL!!!!! Our kids had a great time, loved the food, and good customer service, even though it did rain a lot one night, during the two sea days we were laying out, or in the pool the entire time. Good times!!! Shows were good, Spa folks were kind of aggressive, but very nice. Was not approached by Sales people trying to get us to book another cruise, probably because they didn't want to be around people with kids under foot? Our children were well behaved, and loved every minute of this Cruise. We all certainly fell in love with Cuba, and no doubt will fly or cruise back sometime. Want a few beach days there. Our guide Blexie/Havana Tours we found on Trip Advisor, and was so incredible. Our walking and Classic Car tour was the best, and so affordable. Costa Maya restort-Maya Chan was fun, and not crowded because they reserve your area, and do not over book. 18058075_10212687661772474_3232572588958224201_n.jpg?oh=77ade880a87e8b26547899e6eea2098f&oe=5991A4FD

Maya Chan Resort

18057861_10212687670892702_5688069167776873935_n.jpg?oh=0ddbd1de1292c3be4e22106def544e5a&oe=59756588

Thanks sooooooooooooo much for the pics!!!;p I can't wait to book now!!:cool:

Anyone know when the 2018 schedules come out for Cuba??

Schedule releases for Royal's Cuba sailings have no regularity. From what I understand, the Cuban government approves batches of cruises periodically.

Gatlinburg: Glad you guys had a wonderful time !!!! which beach is that pictured? how did you get to the beach?

This is where we booked privately ahead of time in Costa Maya. (A+ kind of place, nice and private), An American couple and their adult son David run the place. They only allow 50-60 people per day, so it's not crowded, no vendors trying to sell you stuff, and you don't have to rush off the ship. They have your private area reserved for you!!!! Highly recommended. We will definitely go back. Most of the people there on the day we visited were 3-4 times returning guests!!!! Drinks and Mayan buffet all you can eat/drink is included in your cost for the day, and transport from the port, and back to the ship. They make trips every 30minutes, and it's about a 20 min."bumpy" car/shuttle ride. :-) ***snorkel gear, floating chairs, paddle boards, kayaks are all included. They have clean showers, bathrooms, bottled water, and really good drinks!!!! lol

18057861_10212687670892702_5688069167776873935_n.jpg?oh=0ddbd1de1292c3be4e22106def544e5a&oe=59756588

18194945_10212687673332763_8528244763379765759_n.jpg?oh=d52e095a0a12c6c1bbe0c0ce830839ed&oe=597F814F

did you have a problem being an American exchange Canadian dollars. I am thinking about getting Canadian money before we leave.

No problem at all. I sent my sister a check for $!% US, she went to the currency exchange at Tampa Intl Airport and exchanged US for Canadian. Once we got to Havana, no problem at all exchanging Canadian $'s for CUC's.

No problem at all. I sent my sister a check for $!% US, she went to the currency exchange at Tampa Intl Airport and exchanged US for Canadian. Once we got to Havana, no problem at all exchanging Canadian $'s for CUC's.

What was the exchange rate at the airport for the Canadian money?

The general thinking on the TripAdvisor forums is that this is unnecessary.

Yes, you pay a fee to convert USD to CUC. But, you also pay a fee to convert USD to another currency and then again to convert that currency to CUC. By the time you are done, you are probably no worse off. Therefore, it isn't something typically recommended. Just convert USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The general thinking on the TripAdvisor forums is that this is unnecessary.

Yes, you pay a fee to convert USD to CUC. But, you also pay a fee to convert USD to another currency and then again to convert that currency to CUC. By the time you are done, you are probably no worse off. Therefore, it isn't something typically recommended. Just convert USD.

We found that there is 13% fee over and above the fee standard fee to convert US$ then converting other foreign currency.

We are going the end of October and are thinking about doing some tours from other tour companies, booking them before leaving. Did you do that or speak with anyone who had experience with that?

I noticed on line that they have a double-decker hop on hop off bus that travels around Havana area. Did you happen to see this or perhaps the route doesn't come near the port/terminal area?

We found that there is 13% fee over and above the fee standard fee to convert US$ then converting other foreign currency.

Correct. But, one also needs to consider the exchange rate one pays to convert USD to CAD and then CAD to CUC. I just googled airport exchange rates (usually the worst thing to do) and it said I would get $122 CAD for $100 USD (this looks particularly awful). Looking at Oanda, the CAD to CUC is around 70% (I'm assuming another fee). $122*70% = 85.4CUC. My understanding is that $100 USD = 87CUC. Is my math and understanding not correct?

One may be able to get better exchange rates, but some people may not have ready access and would need to research more, spending time doing so - airports may be the best solution for them (although not ideal.)

I'm going to keep my USD, but will try to remember to do the conversion for other currencies for my 5/20 trip.

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba. A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat? Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own? Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

I am going on the empress of the seas on royal Caribbean andwe have a full day in Cuba.A few quick questions,do you have to have an excursion booked to get off the boat?Once you are done with your excursion can youwalk around on your own?Also where is thebest place to exchange currency?

No you don't have to have an excursion booked to get off the ship. When we finished our tour, we were dropped off back at the cruise terminal, exchanged our money in the terminal and went back out and walked around. There is a currency exchange in the cruise terminal.