Empress of the Seas-Cuba

We leave on May 20th and are on the 8 hour tour. Is there time to get Cuban $ at the exchange booths before the tours and if so are the lines LONG for exchange?

RCI will tell you if you have a short excursion to do your exchange after. Problem is if you stop somewhere and you need CUC's you don't have any. We bought $150 Canadian dollars to exchange to CUC. There is a lot of conflicting information on this subject. We were told we could exchange in hotels-we went to 2 and we're told no. My advice-exchange in the terminal and there will be long lines.

Was just there last week, i ran across a store somewhere in Ciego de Avila and found the prices of soda and cigarettes displayed in CUP,CUC and USD , if i remember it right its 75CUP,2CUC and 2.50 USD for a can of soda. They do accept it but are not always preferred as i was told that when locals try to exchange US at the bank they pay a nominal fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it, the CUP is used by most Cubans--its what they get paid in. The CUC is the hard currency--what foreigners get for their exchange and is worth more than CUPs, but not Cubans, so accepting $ gets a Cuban shop keeper less Cuban currency than an American exchanging $ to CUC. That could explain why some are reluctant to accept US instead of CUCs. But I also thought they were supposedly doing away with the 2 tiered Cuban system. Guess that hasn't fully be implemented.

Which side of the ship was facing the port/land, and is this usually how it is or is it a toss-up?:rolleyes: Thanks for all of your helpful information!;)

That is at the discretion of the captain. We went in bow first and let me tell you there is not much to see on either side if docked in second slip. If in the first slip, you would look out on the port but an MSC ship was docked there.

That is at the discretion of the captain. We went in bow first and let me tell you there is not much to see on either side if docked in second slip. If in the first slip, you would look out on the port but an MSC ship was docked there.

Hmmmm, sounds like an AFT may be in order!:hearteyes: I know that I just don't like to be forward!:eek: Haha, get it? Forward?:') Sorry for that. Have a great day!!

As I understand it, the CUP is used by most Cubans--its what they get paid in. The CUC is the hard currency--what foreigners get for their exchange and is worth more than CUPs, but not Cubans, so accepting $ gets a Cuban shop keeper less Cuban currency than an American exchanging $ to CUC. That could explain why some are reluctant to accept US instead of CUCs. But I also thought they were supposedly doing away with the 2 tiered Cuban system. Guess that hasn't fully be implemented.

I see your point, especially if they don't have enough $US and starts handing out CUC's for change. The CUC's at most is more on par with Euro i believe.

There is no money exchange possible aboard the ship. Dock area is what looks like 2 abandoned warehouses but the one we went through was fairly modern inside. Currency exchange inside terminal will have a long line...you can walk into any bank and do the exchange...$100 US dollars will get you 87 CUC. We used I Love Cuba tours and had a fantastic 8 hour tour...part walking but mostly in a 1956 Bel Air in pristine condition. Yosul is the owner and had already been booked but he has 2 or 3 others working for him and we got Patricia. She was very knowledgeable and spoke perfect English...actually she teaches English in a school there. The people we met on the street were quite happy to see us and we felt very safe everywhere we walked and some areas are very poor.

The ship was smaller than any we had been on but we found it to be quite charming and the crew was great. They were all pumped about going to Cuba...in fact the cruise director Carlos had stayed on for an extra 6 months just to do this cruise. You are allowed to bring back 100 Cuban cigars and 1 litre of rum duty free. You can buy more rum but will have to pay US taxes on it. The entertainment was probably the best I have seen on a cruise ship....and I'm not an entertainment kind of guy. Comedian was very good...he did 2 shows. Had a Sammy Davis type performer who was excellent and the last night had a multi talented guy who was hilarious. There were also 2 production shows by the ships troupe. I should have a comprehensive review up in a couple days.

Was just there last week, i ran across a store somewhere in Ciego de Avila and found the prices of soda and cigarettes displayed in CUP,CUC and USD , if i remember it right its 75CUP,2CUC and 2.50 USD for a can of soda. They do accept it but are not always preferred as i was told that when locals try to exchange US at the bank they pay a nominal fee.

$1 cuc = $1 usd. The exchange rate is 10% for USD + another 3%. So that makes it around $0.87.

Basically, they will accept your money, but it is worthless until they exchange it. So if you want, they will charge you the 10%, plus the 3.%, plus a random upcharge to take advantage of you also.

I would exchange a small amount on the fist day, like maybe $50.00 per person, and enjoy the day. Any left over, grab a last minute gift, or just exchange it back, or donate it to some lucky stranger.

RCI will tell you if you have a short excursion to do your exchange after. Problem is if you stop somewhere and you need CUC's you don't have any. We bought $150 Canadian dollars to exchange to CUC. There is a lot of conflicting information on this subject. We were told we could exchange in hotels-we went to 2 and we're told no. My advice-exchange in the terminal and there will be long lines.

did you have a problem being an American exchange Canadian dollars. I am thinking about getting Canadian money before we leave.

We exchanged quite a few Canadian $$$ at the Terminal in Havana, and have US Passports. No problem whatsoever!!! They also said they'd convert it back from CUC to $$$ if we had anything left over. We did not exchange anything upon returning. By the way, if you are traveling on the Empress like we did, there was NO LINE at all when exchanging. Very quick. ***just be sure you bring toilet paper in your purse/pockets. There was none in bathrooms in the terminal.

Basically, they will accept your money, but it is worthless until they exchange it. So if you want, they will charge you the 10%, plus the 3.%, plus a random upcharge to take advantage of you also.

I would exchange a small amount on the fist day, like maybe $50.00 per person, and enjoy the day. Any left over, grab a last minute gift, or just exchange it back, or donate it to some lucky stranger.

Also let me add, sometimes they also have to travel long distances to a black market just to exchange the US, well, least that's what the maid told me when i asked her on our first day if its okay to give her tips in US because the banks were closed at that time. And i recall, when at the bus, they were vending 2 beers for 5 CAD or 5 US.. I bought them with CAD of course.

18119173_10212687185160559_5913259868171787480_n.jpg?oh=fedcd76958bb272770a0e41b3a5fe0f4&oe=597A990E

Loved our 9th floor (F1 category Oceanview) #9664

Awesome! This is the cabin I'd like to get! Please tell me what kind of views were outside your window while ported in Havana! Are lifeboats in the way?:confused: Waiting for the 2018 Cuba itineraries and I want to be ready to snag our room quickly!;) Thanks!

P.S. Your little one is beautiful!!

Edited by SilkySal
add P.S.

SilkySal, I can honestly say that I don't remember the views of Cuba from #9664 because we were up on the Sun Deck getting all our photos most of the time. Sailing in we were up on the Sun Deck as well. We have at least 600 photos we haven't uploaded yet. Fell in love with Cuba and the people there as well. If you're on FB, we'll be posting tons of our photos in the next week or so. We hired a private tour guide in Cuba, and Blexie was incredible, and privately booked our resort when in Costa Maya-"Maya Chan." That was incredible and friendly as well. 18119203_10212687697413365_812834304920110572_n.jpg?oh=479e0d4ba05b2d06df448aa77a03a12e&oe=5988ED96

18157258_10212687181720473_7728203395906440310_n.jpg?oh=85a90a149274d3559601f2511629170a&oe=597DBE06

SilkySal,

The views from our Oceanview #9664 is unobstructed, and above the lifeboats!! This picture shows a public area right at the stairway near our room, and after those windows to the right would be our two large windows. This is the view we had sailing into Cuba from our side of the ship where our room was. 18119584_10212687567850126_3595330210267210138_n.jpg?oh=a7731ff4c65a90c62d42ca8d76604f17&oe=5984A3A118157390_10212687577170359_359932383076195919_n.jpg?oh=c3e902795bd7d025cd69bd007f829c7d&oe=598638D8