A small thing on my cruise that bothered me.

MichelleP

There's two things here....

There's the LIE :eek:

And there's the tattling.

And we're all debating it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought my 7 year old was in school. :eek:

good grief.

Wow... yours has school today. Ours are off til next Monday for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Just adding my 2cents...I read the thread....words like "trust" and "guests" and "lies"....how many of you have smuggled some alcohol onboard???

-patty..

The only way this would be a good comparison is if the booze police found my stash and then I assumed a look of shocked disbelief and pointed at my DH!:D (which, BTW, I was fully prepared to do.)

With regards to my statement and avatar I don't think that it is an oxymoron. Case in point...

Hillary, Kerry, Edwards, etc all supported goint to war with Iraq at the time. Using the available intelligence the administration made the right decision. Ten years of an inactive and ineffective UN and according to international law we have every right to go to war. Those words came out of Hillary's mouth on the eve of Iraqi Freedom.

I support the war and our soldiers. I am one of them. I may be sent over there in the near future and have confidence in our country's ability to overcome petty insecurities. If you are a student of history you will note that the same debate took place during the Mexican war. The difference is that there is much more at stake today.

As to Limbaugh he admitted what he was doing and entered rehab. It took a grand jury to get Clinton to admit any wrong doing. Two wrongs don't make a right but don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

The point is not that I have ever lied. Everyone has at some point, but that doesn't make it right. If I make a mistake I apologize and fix it. I don't lie about it. Especially when it deals with my employment!:eek:

TXParrothead, ease up on the accelerator.;)

The truth is, if your avatar was Bill Clinton, the post would have been even funnier.

This thread is just a little diversion to "blow off some steam" before one of our better national holidays. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.:)

Actually it's your avatar and username that's an oxymoron being as Bush is a strong Republican and Jimmy Buffett is a strong Democrat.:D

I have actually wondered about that myself. That is why I came to the conclusion along time ago. Seperate the art from the artist. Otherwise any conservative couldn't watch a film, buy a newspaper, or listen to music. ;)

I have actually wondered about that myself. That is why I came to the conclusion along time ago. Seperate the art from the artist. Otherwise any conservative couldn't watch a film, buy a newspaper, or listen to music. ;)

TX, I LOOOOOVE your avatar :D It could be much worse... I mean, like a horse... or Kerry, oh wait a minute... same thing :eek:

Wow! I guess I am going straight to hell, determined to kill someone!! Can't believe there are people out there that have not had to tell a small little non-truth to CTA in the workplace before, in their entire lives. What a great group of people :p I'll admit, running a business, every so often, sometimes I have said something to cover my tail, something very small... but that in no way means that I would do anything that would put someone's life in jeopardy.

But yeah, I guess the Maitre'D could pull a major lie, tell someone there are no window seats available :p Oh the horror!!!!!

Like I said, not condoning what he did... but I'd say some people are getting just a little dramatic. People lie to cover their butts... if it is something as minor as a lunch menu, I can't see why people would just assume they would lie about something that could threaten ones life. You people watch too many soap operas :p

I'm sure your comments were not really directed at anyone, but since they did sort of respond to what I said, I would like to make an additional comment. I personally do not watch soap operas, but I was taught to tell the truth. My parents always taught me that if someone will lie about a small thing they will lie about a big thing. If this man felt he needed to lie over something as minor as a lunch menu to cover his back side, then my guess is he would lie or do whatever it would take to cover a big error. Yes, even an error that was life threatening.

Why did he feel so threatened by this mistake? I don't know. Maybe Carnival is so demanding of their employees that he feared loosing his job if someone thought he slipped just a little. Maybe his culture was so that had he been in his home country and made a simple error he would have gotten in big trouble. Maybe he just had a big ego and didn't want anybody to know he was human. We'll obviously never know what caused him to tell this untruth. But bottom line is, a lie is a lie is a lie is a lie. A man is only as good as his word.

I'm sure your comments were not really directed at anyone, but since they did sort of respond to what I said, I would like to make an additional comment. I personally do not watch soap operas, but I was taught to tell the truth. My parents always taught me that if someone will lie about a small thing they will lie about a big thing. If this man felt he needed to lie over something as minor as a lunch menu to cover his back side, then my guess is he would lie or do whatever it would take to cover a big error. Yes, even an error that was life threatening.

Why did he feel so threatened by this mistake? I don't know. Maybe Carnival is so demanding of their employees that he feared loosing his job if someone thought he slipped just a little. Maybe his culture was so that had he been in his home country and made a simple error he would have gotten in big trouble. Maybe he just had a big ego and didn't want anybody to know he was human. We'll obviously never know what caused him to tell this untruth. But bottom line is, a lie is a lie is a lie is a lie. A man is only as good as his word.

You are right, my comments were not directed at anyone in particular. But I do commend you and your family for never telling any kind of lie or mistruth... I don't know anyone else that can say that. I was raised very well, and also taught that you shouldn't lie... but also grew up realistic and knew that from time to time, a little white lie, could happen. I can also guarantee you that just because someone tells a little white lie, does NOT mean they would lie about something major... that is simply incorrect. But again, you should be congratulated!! Seriously, that is a major accomplishment!!!!!

Robbing a bank or perpetrating a murder and then telling the police you know nothing about it, is a lie. Cheating on your spouse and then denying it is a lie. Stealing from your employer and denying it, is a lie. Telling the purser that the menu was posted all along even though you just posted it, is a lie. Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat even though they obviously look like the Michelin man, is not a lie. It's being polite and protecting their self esteem while wishing they had bought more cloth to CTFA. It's called being PC and our society encourages and expects it. And I hate it. So much for calling it as you see it.

Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat even though they obviously look like the Michelin man, is not a lie.

Yes, but that really isn't a lie because the pants are not what is making them look fat...

You guys are cracking me up. I actually laughed out loud reading some of the posts. The shocked disbelief and pointing at your husband is awesome. My husband does that to me ALL the time. If he farts, if we're late (it's always really his fault) and whenever else there is blame to pass around. He also is one of those annoying people who if you've lost your keys and you're searching frantically will say, "Found em!" when he really hasn't!

With regards to my statement and avatar I don't think that it is an oxymoron. Case in point...

Hillary, Kerry, Edwards, etc all supported goint to war with Iraq at the time. Using the available intelligence the administration made the right decision. Ten years of an inactive and ineffective UN and according to international law we have every right to go to war. Those words came out of Hillary's mouth on the eve of Iraqi Freedom.

I support the war and our soldiers. I am one of them. I may be sent over there in the near future and have confidence in our country's ability to overcome petty insecurities. If you are a student of history you will note that the same debate took place during the Mexican war. The difference is that there is much more at stake today.

As to Limbaugh he admitted what he was doing and entered rehab. It took a grand jury to get Clinton to admit any wrong doing. Two wrongs don't make a right but don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

Coming from an ex-soldier, Amen and thanks for your service to our great country!

Wow.

Maybe the supervisor at the purser's desk raised a bigger stink thatn it was worth to get that menu up. I've noticed that sometimes, that happens. It's a possibility that the M'D said what he did in an effort to calm a bit of attitude he may have been getting from the desk. You just never know, since everyone in any form of Carnival uniform seems to smile unflinchingly when people are giving them hell. I'm sure he didn't have a clue you were there, and am positive he didn't mean to offend you.

Understand I'm not standing up for him, just poinging out something similar to the above may have happened. I do think he could have just told the desk it was taken care of, and thanks for the heads up, but 'feces occurs'.

Hopefully it didn't ruin your day.

And you never did say, what was for lunch, and how was it?:)

Archived