A small thing on my cruise that bothered me.

MichelleP

As I stood at my kitchen sink on Wed. evening peeling 15 lbs. of potatoes, my mind went back to the original poster's complaint that I had read earlier in the day. Boy, did my heart go out to them! Almost time for lunch and no menu! What is this world coming to?

Now that I think aout it, on our recent Valor cruise we never got a "towel" monkey. This was a disapointment as my roomie had never cruised before and I was looking forward to her reaction. Should I write a letter? Ask for a refund? Never sail with Carnival again?

As I stood at my kitchen sink on Wed. evening peeling 15 lbs. of potatoes, my mind went back to the original poster's complaint that I had read earlier in the day. Boy, did my heart go out to them! Almost time for lunch and no menu! What is this world coming to?

Now that I think aout it, on our recent Valor cruise we never got a "towel" monkey. This was a disapointment as my roomie had never cruised before and I was looking forward to her reaction. Should I write a letter? Ask for a refund? Never sail with Carnival again?

Like the guy who never had the menu up and "LIED" about it, I think some heads should roll on this deal to! NO EXCUSES

80 posts because someone forgot to change the menu?!?

No, 80 posts because the M.D. lied in order to make the guests look incompetent and himself look better.

Big deal, no big deal, it's irrelevant to me. But let's be honest about what the OP is actually complaining about.

HOKEY SMOKES do I feel stupid....Honest to God, I didn't even know the dining room was opened for lunch until I read this thread. We usually eat our breakfast in the dining room, but somehow I thought (and who knows why I thought this) that the dining room did not re-open until dinner. Glad I saw this thread.

No, 80 posts because the M.D. lied in order to make the guests look incompetent and himself look better.

Big deal, no big deal, it's irrelevant to me. But let's be honest about what the OP is actually complaining about.

Unless the person left their name with the purser I doubt that the purser took any further notice of this. You think the purser went to the rest of the crew and said look, that person over there cannot tell a breakfast menu from a lunch menu?

Like this is the first time someone lied to protect their rear end (and this an election year - boy am I glad that is over). The menu got changed, which is what they wanted and the lie hurt no one. I'll bet if the same person went back to the same purser and said remeber this, the purser would not. Yet everyone is so concerned that this person lied just to make the passenger look stupid.

Have you ever said you liked something when you didn't, to "protect" the other person's feelings? Do you really thing the MD would be fired for forgetting to change the menu - even if the MD was on probation? If the MD had called back and said, "It has been taken care of" do you think the purser would have reported to the captain that the MD was not changing the menu like (s)he should?

I realize the OP was upset because the OP took the MD's comment personally. I just don't think it was a big enough issue to warrant a thread. So the OP did. Okay, I have no problem with that. Then 80+ posts later it is still going strong. Okay, I have no problem with that either. Surprised - yes. But I still don't see it as that big of a deal.

There's something funny about people complaining about how this thread shouldn't been started yet go ahead and add their two cents anyway.:D

I don't see the issue as a big deal. I don't have any problems with this thread however. And I never said it should not have been started, though I would not have.

Robbing a bank or perpetrating a murder and then telling the police you know nothing about it, is a lie. Cheating on your spouse and then denying it is a lie. Stealing from your employer and denying it, is a lie. Telling the purser that the menu was posted all along even though you just posted it, is a lie. Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat even though they obviously look like the Michelin man, is not a lie. It's being polite and protecting their self esteem while wishing they had bought more cloth to CTFA. It's called being PC and our society encourages and expects it. And I hate it. So much for calling it as you see it.

Cheeze glad your not a friend of mine, especially after all I ate yesterday!

It's called being PC and our society encourages and expects it.
PC is overrated, and is against company policy. You can thank the thin-skinned gutless left-of-center politicians for it, too.

Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat even though they obviously look like the Michelin man, is not a lie. It's being polite and protecting their self esteem while wishing they had bought more cloth to CTFA.

I am never PC. I hate it too. Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat when they do is a lie. That's not saying that I've never done it, but it's wrong.

Robbing a bank or perpetrating a murder and then telling the police you know nothing about it, is a lie. Cheating on your spouse and then denying it is a lie. Stealing from your employer and denying it, is a lie. Telling the purser that the menu was posted all along even though you just posted it, is a lie. Telling someone that their pants don't make them look fat even though they obviously look like the Michelin man, is not a lie. It's being polite and protecting their self esteem while wishing they had bought more cloth to CTFA. It's called being PC and our society encourages and expects it. And I hate it. So much for calling it as you see it.

Excuse me! Telling someone, anyone, something you know is not true is a lie. Doing so to protect their feelings might be socially acceptable, but it is still a lie.

Lie - to make a statement that one knows to be false. Also see a rose by any other name.

The MD told a lie, and I am not going to try and rationalize that fact away. But in this case the lie hurt no one. The OP took the lie personally when all that was really taking place is the MD was trying to protect himself. He was not trying to discredit the OP and I don't think he did.

A lie is a lie, call it whatever you want, it is still a lie. The lie might be socially acceptable, but it is still a lie.

The MD told a lie, and I am not going to try and rationalize that fact away. But in this case the lie hurt no one.

Isn't saying that a particular lie "hurt no one" an attempt to rationalize it?

I think lying affects credibility. If people are so quick to lie it makes you wonder what other lies they are willing to tell to protect either themselves or the company they work for. If a tray of of steaks falls on the dirty floor in the kitchen is the staff going to act like nothing happened and serve them anyway? If the temperature of refrigerator is lower than required by law, is it o.k. to deceive the passengers into thinking they are consuming safe food?

I think propobably everyone that tells a lie tries to justify it by saying that it hurt no one.

Isn't saying that a particular lie "hurt no one" an attempt to rationalize it?

I think lying affects credibility. If people are so quick to lie it makes you wonder what other lies they are willing to tell to protect either themselves or the company they work for. If a tray of of steaks falls on the dirty floor in the kitchen is the staff going to act like nothing happened and serve them anyway? If the temperature of refrigerator is lower than required by law, is it o.k. to deceive the passengers into thinking they are consuming safe food?

I think propobably everyone that tells a lie tries to justify it by saying that it hurt no one.

Okay, you are correct, the lie hurt the MD's credibility. I agree. What I meant was that it hurt no one else. Further, it is still a lie and wrong. I am not trying to rationalize that. I just would have ignored the whole thing. The OP got what they wanted, the lunch menu. Beyond that how much would be different if the MD had called back and said the lunch memu is there now? What if he said it with a tone that implied it was already there. Then what he said was the truth but implied a lie. How would things be different then?

Yes, the MD hurts his credibility by this lie. Yes, the lie is wrong. But I wish this was the worst thing that ever happened to me on a cruise. If it was I would be a very happy cruiser.

You have to allow for the fact that society allows lies for several reasons. The you look fine lie (if in fact is a lie) is still a lie and in fact could hurt someone if others comment how bad that person actually looked. Nonetheless, such a "I don't want to hurt your feelings" type lie is socially acceptable. I am not saying the MD's lie was socially acceptable, but the amount of harm done, beyond the MD's own credibility, is zero.

I just wrote a 20 page review of my last cruise (in October on the NCL Star if you want to read it). Given the 20 pages, there are a lot of details. Had this happened to me, I would not have even mentioned it. I would have shrugged it off. I look at it this way, I paid thousands of dollars to go on this cruise. I am not going to let a little thing (and the OP admits it is a minor matter) bother me on my vacation.

Now don't get me wrong. Even though I would not have brought it up, this thread is bringing out lots of opinions, and for that I thank the OP. I have enjoyed reading the opinions on this thread even though I would not have been the one to start it.

I am still on the side of MichelleP. Keep in mind that MichellP did not make an "issue" of this while onboard. She is just having a friendly discussion of her cruise experience on a forum that has the word "critic" in its name.

The maitre d' is the person that made this an "issue" when he lied. If the menu not being put out on time is not such a "big deal" or this is such "little consequence" why on earth did the maitre d' have to lie? Why couldn't he have simply told the purser over the phone, "Oooops, I messed up and forgot to put the menu out"?

I do believe someone was hurt. MichelleP was made to look like she was either stupid or lying!

Any way you slice it, MichelleP was not made to feel like a "guest" at the expense of a dishonest maitre d'.

Excuse me! Telling someone, anyone, something you know is not true is a lie. Doing so to protect their feelings might be socially acceptable, but it is still a lie.

Lie - to make a statement that one knows to be false. Also see a rose by any other name.

The MD told a lie, and I am not going to try and rationalize that fact away. But in this case the lie hurt no one. The OP took the lie personally when all that was really taking place is the MD was trying to protect himself. He was not trying to discredit the OP and I don't think he did.

A lie is a lie, call it whatever you want, it is still a lie. The lie might be socially acceptable, but it is still a lie.

Pants don't make someone look fat. Their fat a** makes them look fat. So telling them that their pants don't make them look fat is technically not a lie. But I do get your point. :D

I do believe someone was hurt. MichelleP was made to look like she was either stupid or lying!

Any way you slice it, MichelleP was not made to feel like a "guest" at the expense of a dishonest maitre d'.

I disagree that Michelle was made to look like she was either stipid or lying. I agree that she was not made to feel like a guest.

I agree that the lie was wrong. I disagree that it was aimed at Michelle.

People do things that are "wrong" all the time (this is not limited to just lies). We have to realize this and have the courage to change the things we can, the serenity to accept the things we can not change and this is the most important part, the WISDOM to know the difference.

Who knows why the MD lied. Perhaps he came from a culture where lying is perfectly acceptable. Perhaps his ego is so big he cannot admit that he made a mistake. Perhaps he was recently promoted and was insecure about his job. Perhaps it was someone else's job to do and that person was on probation and he lied to protect this other person.

I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had a great waitress. One night she told us about a special dessert for the next night. When she brought out the dessert menus one of them was for the prior night. Of course we realized that right a way. But I decided to have some fun. I pointed to one of the desserts on the wrong menu and asked for it. She took one look at the menu and realized it was the wrong one. She asked for the menu back and asked that I not tell anyone it was the wrong one. It was all in fun and she may have been having fun with me. Or she may have thought she, or someone would get in trouble for bringing out the wrong menu. I don't know. Perhaps the MD was equally concerned about himself or someone else getting in trouble over this.

You and I might see the menu incident as minor. However, the people who work on the ship come from a different culture. Any mistake made be seen as a very serious issue. I don't know, and unless I know the MD's reason for lying, I am not going to prejudge it. The lie was wrong, but I also do not believe for a second that it was aimed at Michelle. However, she did take it personally. Why did she take it personally? I don't know. She did, and that is why this thread got started.

I am not trying to rationalize off the lie. I agree it was wrong. I am not trying to belittle Michelle's feels about being the subject of this lie. However, I have yet to see any evidence that anyone thought less of Michelle as a result of this. Nor have I seen any evidence that that this lie was made to make her look silly or a liar.

Even our legal system allows that there are various degrees of lies. In order to be perjury, a lie must be material. If it is not material, then it is not perjury. I see the same distinction here. While wrong, the lie hurt one except the MD's credibility and perhaps Michelle's feelings. And it only hurt Michelle's feels because she took it personally. Had she not, then this thread never would have been started. That said, it would have been our loss, because I have found this thread to be very interesting, and I thank the OP for starting it. So in my book something positive came out of this.

Futaba951 - I never said anything about telling someone their pants made them look fat. That was a quote from you (see above). I only said that people sometimes say things they don't really believe to save someone else's feelings.

I would have thrown him overboard and demanded a free cruise. I bet that would have taught him not to lie. :D

Yep, I agree with futaba951....this is a really, really, serious problem...don't throw him overboard make him walk the plank!!!LOL:D

Archived