A small thing on my cruise that bothered me.

MichelleP

I guess my question would be - Why would the maitred' even call the purser back? Just change the menu - why lie?

To be quite honest the person at the purser desk probably cared less which menu was there.

I was thinking the same thing... perhaps he was talking about something else? I can't imagine them (the purser and maitre'd) making a big issue out of it with several phone calls... change the menu and move on. Guess we'll never know who the MD was actually talking to ... I'm assuming nobody heard the MD say "hello Purser??" :p

I was thinking the same thing... perhaps he was talking about something else? I can't imagine them (the purser and maitre'd) making a big issue out of it with several phone calls... change the menu and move on. Guess we'll never know who the MD was actually talking to ... I'm assuming nobody heard the MD say "hello Purser??" :p

Why not make a big deal out of it, we are here LOL

I still think the guy was on double secret probation & didn't want to look bad/appear wrong etc

This may be a petty thing... but it bothered me. This was on our Fantasy cruise last weekend.

I know this is a small thing, but the maitre d' was obviously just covering his rear by lying to make me look like an idiot.

Probably not worth writing Carnival about, but it put a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think he was trying to make you look, "like an idiot", rather I think he was trying to make himself look better!

Yes, I do think it is probably not worth writing Carnival about :rolleyes: ! If this is the worst thing that happened to you on your cruise than I would say that you had an excellent cruise :D !!!

To me, it's about credibility. If I goof up, I am the first to admit it. So when I am talking to a client, to my family, to anyone, they know they get the truth from me - the good, the bad, the ugly. Even when I screw up. An "Oops" goes a long way. Also makes others more apt to be honest with you down the road, I have found.

I don't know why he lied - a lot of people in power have big egos to fill, maybe he couldn't take the fact that a lowly purser was correcting him. But, regardless, it is a small thing - one that would put a little *astricks* next to anything I had to hear from him. Luckily he didn't really have a huge affect in the grand scheme of your cruise. You could write, but I don't think it would change a thing. It's a character issue with him, a little letter will doubtfully change that. Just know those who work with home closely probably do not trust him.

I would have asked the MD to change the menu in the first place. When you take this issue outside the dining room area, like going to the Pursar, it could be perceived as going over someone's head. I think that can make people defensive. I would have given the dining room staff the chance to correct the situation first.

~ Like I said, it's just a very small issue. I don't plan to bring it up to Carnival. :rolleyes: I agree that it is nothing worth sweating. It just bothered me at the time.

~ The dining room staff was nowhere to be found, so I couldn't ask them to change the menu.

~ This was around 11:30, lunch service started at noon, so we couldn't be seated to see the menu.

~ Edited to add: funship TV is not available on the Fantasy so we had no way of seeing the menu unless we were outside the dining room.

~ I'm sure the maitre d' did not know that we were the people who complained when we went to see the menu.

~ I'm also sure that he was talking to the purser when he called. When I went back to the desk, I asked him the name of the person who called about the menu and he told me, so that confirms my assumption.

~ I'm also sure the purser's desk guy did not really give a hoot about the incident. I mean, it is just a small dumb thing and he probably forgot all about it after I left. So why would the maitre d' have felt the need to lie to him?

Like I said, just a small issue, but to me a lie is a lie and I didn't understand why he felt the need to cover his behind. Does the purser's desk staff have that much power over the maitre d'?

Yes, I did have a fabulous cruise, and this wasn't the worst thing that happened on it - that was the rough seas! I was not feeling good for a few nights there! So don't think I'm sitting here dwelling on this issue. It just bothered me at the time because I caught an employee in a lie that made a guest look stupid.

The point is not that I have ever lied. Everyone has at some point, but that doesn't make it right. If I make a mistake I apologize and fix it. I don't lie about it. Especially when it deals with my employment!:eek:

I'm sitting here LMAO looking at your avatar and reading your post. :D

I'm sitting here LMAO looking at your avatar and reading your post. :D

Okay...let's stay away from politics before sgriff17 gets all riled up! You leave W alone! :)

I always get the idea people are lying to me on cruise ships. Or is that just paranoia??:eek:

Mark here. Michelle's husband.

Just to clarify, we weren't spying or looking for problems. It just sort of unfolded before us.

I'm not so sure I was offended or insulted, but then again, it was Michelle who was placated by the suggestion that we were looking in the wrong place. I was probably more annoyed by the fact that we would have been sent on a fools errand to find the menu when we were in fact looking in the right place.

I just happened to not have gone to the purser's desk with Michelle and saw the MD swap out the menu. I was standing right there and pointed out what was happening to Michelle, not knowing what she was told.

It's a matter of trust. I guess I sort of forgot that you have to question everything.

I'm a bit surprised at many of the comments here. Many people are saying "everyone has lied some time or another" , making it sound like therefore there's nothing wrong with it. That seems to be the attitude with a lot of things that people do. Do you speed because everyone else does? If you're caught do you say---everyone else was doing it so it's ok for me too, also? If you do something wrong and are caught, I think you should pay the consequences.

I'm a bit surprised at many of the comments here. Many people are saying "everyone has lied some time or another" , making it sound like therefore there's nothing wrong with it. That seems to be the attitude with a lot of things that people do. Do you speed because everyone else does? If you're caught do you say---everyone else was doing it so it's ok for me too, also? If you do something wrong and are caught, I think you should pay the consequences.

I don't see where anyone has said there was nothing wrong with what he did, if he indeed did do that, I think some of us just don't see the need to make a huge deal of it, 2 pages of posts... over a lunch menu :rolleyes: The menu wasn't out yet... it wasn't lunch time... the menu was put up, I'm sure they didn't go hungry :p

Perhaps the Maitre'd was on the phone about another situation? What makes anyone think this situation was urgent enough that he called the purser back to say the menu was there? What would the point be? He wouldn't have gotten in trouble, the breakfast menu was up, it wasn't lunchtime... Perhaps there was something ELSE he was working on, put the menu up (because of the dire request) and made a phone call about something else. Perhaps next time the OP can take a handy dandy spycam and listening device, tap the phone to see exactly who they are talking to and get the entire conversation :p

One good thing that will come out of this... it will make all the other petty issues we see on here seem not so petty :eek:

Or even better..... I would have gone back to the pursers desk every single day for the rest of the cruise to ask why the lunch menu isn't out yet?

Hey, if you're going to be made the fool, why not take it up a notch? hee,hee ;)

The OP stated it was a "SMALL THING" that bothered her. She is entitled to her opinion and she did not post two pages. It became 2 pages because of fools like us.

I would think if the purser was talking to the Maitre'D about something else when the OP went back down he would have explained that. I would never have asked for the lunch menu so that would not have been my situation. But I don't like to be the subject of a lie whether it is a CYA or not.

BTW.. I never knew CYA meant you should lie. I thought it meant you took extra steps and you did not rely on intangibles.

Wow! I guess I am going straight to hell, determined to kill someone!! Can't believe there are people out there that have not had to tell a small little non-truth to CTA in the workplace before, in their entire lives. :p

Well I'll be right there in hell with you! Of course I've had to tell a few white lies in business as in my personal life.

I can't believe no one has had to tell the 'No, those pants don't make you look fat' lie.

The point is not that I have ever lied. Everyone has at some point, but that doesn't make it right. If I make a mistake I apologize and fix it. I don't lie about it. Especially when it deals with my employment!:eek:

This statement, combined with the avatar, is beyond funny. Where is Leno when you need him?:D

This statement, combined with the avatar, is beyond funny. Where is Leno when you need him?:D

PRICELESS.

Well, I for one, can see why the OP made an issue out of it and felt the need to post. We are the cruise lines' guests. While his CYA may not have been the appropriate thing to do, I realize that goes on all the time. But, he crossed the line when he did it at the expense of the passenger. It went to the point of insulting the guest to make himself look better. If he insisted on lying, he should have done it at the expense of someone else like a co-worker, not the passenger!

If I'm a paying passenger, I don't want to be insulted, even if someone is trying to cover their a**.

Is that like an ox·y·mo·ron????A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

Archived