Jewel of the Seas Cabin 9000

We are sailing on the Jewel in Cabin #9000 in Nov. 17. Have seen tons of vidoes of the ship, other cabins, and read tons of reviews, but have not come across anything specific to #9000. Has anyone out there stayed in this cabin and would care to comment on it?

• 4 weeks later...

Since cabin 9000 is so far forward it will have lots of motion in rough seas. We had the cabin just below on Radiance and it was quite a ride in the very rough seas in the Pacific when returning from Alaska.

Also the ship's superstructure obstructs the view, especially forward, from its balcony as shown in the shot below which was taken from the bridge wing which is just forward and one deck above. Arrow indicates the balcony for 9000.

PA242363a.JPG.33576de82b64e16a7c12f7c1b688ef83.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Bob. Actually, just located under the bridge wing was a plus for me. Maybe I’ll feel different after the cruise,but my thought on this was, since this cruise is port intensive…cool! Coming into & leaving the port, we’ll beable to see bridge staff doing their thing on the wing! It does have a glass floor. After reading numerous reviews of noisy cabinlocations, of concern to me is that there will probably be a door by cabin 9000used by RCCL personnel, and their comings and goings may result in a lot ofdoor slamming. As for rolling in roughseas, I’m planning on getting motion sickness medicine for both the wife and meas a precaution. The motion in this areaof the Jewel may be more than we’re used to, but for a number of years we’vehad a boat large enough to live aboard, so we’ve shut down the house forseveral months and go live on the boat. We bunk in the forward berthing compartment and let the grandkids &company have the aft stateroom simply because of the greater roll there that Isleep more peacefully with.

Somehow, I've got the feeling I'll be writing the 1st review on this cabin on this boat - LOL!

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the info. Bob. Actually, just located under the bridge wing was a plus for me. Maybe I’ll feel different after the cruise,but my thought on this was, since this cruise is port intensive…cool! Coming into & leaving the port, we’ll beable to see bridge staff doing their thing on the wing! It does have a glass floor. After reading numerous reviews of noisy cabinlocations, of concern to me is that there will probably be a door by cabin 9000used by RCCL personnel, and their comings and goings may result in a lot ofdoor slamming. As for rolling in roughseas, I’m planning on getting motion sickness medicine for both the wife and meas a precaution. The motion in this areaof the Jewel may be more than we’re used to, but for a number of years we’vehad a boat large enough to live aboard, so we’ve shut down the house forseveral months and go live on the boat. We bunk in the forward berthing compartment and let the grandkids &company have the aft stateroom simply because of the greater roll there that Isleep more peacefully with.

Somehow, I've got the feeling I'll be writing the 1st review on this cabin on this boat - LOL!

I'll be looking forward to it as a friend and I are in there on our Greek Isle cruise 7/1/18!

• 1 month later...

Disaster may be upon us. We have a flight into San Juan on Saturday, 11/25. Had planned on staying at the ESJ Azul that night, a hotel on the beach booked thru the American Airlines website in conjunction with the flight booking. That hotel is our of commish, so we booked into the Holiday Inn Express on 10/12. On 10/26, unknown to us until our TA followed up yesterday, our reservation was arbitrarily cancelled and we were not notified! Both our TA and myself have been in conversations today to find out what's going on. Apparently, 'Government Officials' and 'FEMA personnel' who have been staying there extended their stays through January 2018, and all other reservations thru that time were cancelled! I have an active case going with the hotel group (IHG) with their verbal promise to find alternate accommodations for us. Hope & pray they turn something up for us. I've also posted this same information of the November 26 2017 thread & asked those following it if they know of any possible vacancies to please let me know so I can try getting us in someplace.

• 1 month later...

Forthose who asked, here is my review of Cabin 9000. It was just perfect for us. Smaller in personthan what pictures/videos I've seen of identical cabins on the Jewel, butworkable, with lots of storage space. There was so much storage space in theroom, we didn't utilize all of it. As others have stated, there was plenty ofroom under the bed to store luggage. Veryquiet location, not even any door noise from the crew quarters door outside theroom. Yes, it is some distance to the back of the ship, but walking isn't anissue with us, plus a lot of the activities we partook of - fitness centerSolarium, Coral Theater, Cinema, etc. are all in the front of the ship. Reallyliked the round shower with solid doors; roomy. The angled mirror on the leftside of the sink hinges open & there are 3 shelves for toiletries. Perfectfor travel size items, which I strongly recommend taking. Why? Because webought a regular sized bottle of suntan lotion in San Juan (forgot to bring itfrom home) & had to throw it away at the TSA check when we left. Saveyourself the hassle & get as much trial sizes as possible. I had the metalretaining bar hind the angled mirror on the lowest shelf come loose and fall tothe floor when I reached for something on that shelf. Alerted the room steward& she had it fixed. The top shelf bar is loose, but it didn't come out.Check it if you are in that cabin & have them fix it if need be. It couldstrike a bare foot and cause an injury. Bed not so comfortable, but they mayhave a mattress topper if you ask. We didn't. Room air temperature control gaveus plenty of range to heat up or cool down the room. The controller is locatedto the left of the bathroom door. I've read in other threads of the foul toiletsmell, but we didn't experience any of that. Maybe because we are at thebeginning of the waste line run, so no upstream issues coming out way tocontend with. On a related note, I noticed the return air plenum was rightbehind where the passageway door opens up. Forced air comes into the room onthe exterior bathroom wall over the couch. That helps keep foul odorscirculating away from the rest of the room. There is a volume controller forannouncements on the wall to the right of the bathroom door. We heardannouncements in our room prior to sailing but once under way, we could nolonger hear them from our room speaker. This phenomenon occurred in the roomsof other passengers we talked to, so there must be some master control for thatthat the powers that be switched off. We really liked the room décor; severalnotches above that of other lines that I would describe as 'Wal-Mart'blandness. There was just a rich ambiance quality to the room decor that strucka right chord with me. The 2 wall lamps on either side of the bed contain amovable reading lamp. The switches on the left side of the fixture turn the wall lampon/off, and the right side switches operate the reading lamp. That was a nicefeature. It wasn't noticeable at first as the sign is mounted up higher on thewall above the toilet, behind where wash towels are hung, but the sign says toleave towels you want changed out on the floor. I remember reading a complaintin another earlier thread that their towels weren't being changed out. If theyweren't leaving them on the floor, that's probably why. The couch in cabin 9000has a wear spot on the top front corner of its left arm. All in all, we lovedthe room and its location.

Now on to the balcony.We were both fine with it. There were some comments a few months ago about thebridge making it an obstructed view and a lack of privacy as a person on thebridge could see you. Regarding the obstruction issue, I didn't feel itobstructed anything I needed/wanted to view from the balcony. Something thatirritated me however, and I can't recall anyone else ever raising a fuss overthis issue is; when I sat down in the balcony chair, that darn railing is rightat eye level!!! This is a standard height for every balcony, so I guess peopleare just resigned to it. The forward side wall is curved which does block outsome view onto the balcony from the bridge. Since the sliding portion of thebalcony door is to the right, you can step out of it buck naked & not be seen;trust ol' fuddy-dud here…I know…I did it. There is a bracing piece of steelbehind this curved portion which you could stash something on if you want toutilize it in that manner, but I'd get a pool towel wet & wipe it down; thetop surface had collected dirt/sand/dust & needed cleaning; somethingthat's gone unnoticed until me. Something else I noticed that I haven't seenmentioned before. On levels 7-8-9, the stairs are 16 steps going to the nextfloor up. But, on Deck 10, there are 20 steps to get to Deck 11. However, thecabin ceiling height on Deck 10 is the same as the lower 3 decks. That meansthere's a whole lot of overhead space above the ceilings on Deck 10; I'mguessing around 2 feet more. I speculate the reason for the higher space is toallow for the pool depths on Deck 11, but I'm thinking Royal Carib missed the boat(pun intended) by not offering increased cabin ceiling height, which they couldcharge a premium for, for taller guests. I know someone will want to respondback that economies of scale are such that the standard cookie cutter patternfor all cabins is the most cost efficient way to go when building the ship. Butstill...an interesting concept. Gettingback to Cabin 9000, I would recommend it to anybody.

On a parting note, yes, we did get to spend the day in Grenada with our daughter & husband. It was fabulous. We were expecting them to drive us around in their car as they wanted to see some of the island themselves, but they arranged a tour guide & we had some amazing experiences such as wild, not tame, monkeys climbing all over us as we fed them bannanas, and catching fish bare handed at the lake in the crater bowl in Grand E'tange park. On the rest of the sail aways, I'd watch the proceedings from either our balcony or somewhere on deck, but not when we left Grenada. I was so sad to leave them that I just sat inside and read my book to take my mind off leaving them...a dad thing I guess. I have an even worse problem leaving the grandkids.,,just ask my wife!

• Like 1

We're still booked into Cabin 9000. Are you on our same itinerary: St. Croix, St. Marteen, Dominica, Barbados, Grenada? The 1st 3 are changed for us. Now going to St. Thomas, Antigua, & Martinique.

Thanks for the update. Our route (doesn't appear to have changed): St Thomas, St Kitts, St John's, St Lucia and Bridgetown. I have a friend who's looking to book the following week after us (also on the Jewel) and he described your route. Not sure of the reason for a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums