Dress code

tuppence

Hi we are very experienced cruisers but have never sailed on a Cunard ship. In 4 weeks we are doing the Transatlantic crossing on QM2 and are really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for a calm crossing!! Could you help us with dress code please especially for my husband. We are flying out and sailing back and are a bit worried re luggage allowance. Many thankx:)

Here is the information from the Cunard website

"Evenings

Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. *A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Informal (Jacket Required):

Evenings would consist*of a required jacket and optional*tie for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent. No jeans or shorts."

During a TA there will be 3 formal nights and 4 Informal.

Have a wonderful time.

Hi we are very experienced cruisers but have never sailed on a Cunard ship. In 4 weeks we are doing the Transatlantic crossing on QM2 and are really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for a calm crossing!! Could you help us with dress code please especially for my husband. We are flying out and sailing back and are a bit worried re luggage allowance. Many thankx:)

What is your luggage allowance and, who is your flight with please?

The cost of a second case on many flights can be very reasonable (esp if you take three cases between two passengers (as my parents did on one transatlantic)).

Even taking an extra case each can work out to be a very small % of the total holiday cost. On a transatlantic flight/sailing I always take two cases (even when flying in economy/coach).

Not blaming the OP tuppence who is asking a very reasonable question and seeking guidance, but I am often confused as many people take the "free" allowance (23kg) as an absolute unbreakable top limit, which of course it is not.

It could be that the charge from some airlines for the extra case are punitive and extortionate, but so far this has not been my experience (often it is only around £60 per case when booked in advance, as I said, very reasonable, IMHO).

Have a wonderful crossing tuppence, a huge Bon Voyage from me :) .

We have done both 10 & 14 day fly cruises with 23 Kg and have had no problems.

I tend to pack shoes in hand luggage and not having to take toiletries helps keep the weight down.

Good luck

We always have to fly to join any cruise as we live on an island . We just pay the extra luggage allowance and look up on it as part of the cost of the cruise. We usually buy an extra case and that gives you an extra 23 kilos or whatever the airline allow.

On a recent flight on BA we paid online in advance and it cost us £60 . Small price to pay compared to the cost of the 30 night cruise, and we had all our clothes we love to wear, and we had a great trip. Never skimp on luggage I say. My cruise would not be as good if I could not have my shoes and dresses and the rest with me.. Same applies to my husband as well. He love dressing for dinner.

Don't let the thought of spending a few extra dollars spoil your chance of a lovely cruise.

We always have to fly to join any cruise as we live on an island . We just pay the extra luggage allowance and look up on it as part of the cost of the cruise. We usually buy an extra case and that gives you an extra 23 kilos or whatever the airline allow. On a recent flight on BA we paid online in advance and it cost us £60 . Small price to pay compared to the cost of the 30 night cruise, and we had all our clothes we love to wear, and we had a great trip. Never skimp on luggage I say. My cruise would not be as good if I could not have my shoes and dresses and the rest with me.. Same applies to my husband as well. He love dressing for dinner. Don't let the thought of spending a few extra dollars spoil your chance of a lovely cruise.
Well said maggiemou, my thoughts exactly. :)

It is important to pack pieces that you can wear for multiple occasions. Pack a dress that, for example, you could dress up for dinner or down for the beach. The key here is accessories, the right jewellery and shoes can transform an outfit from casual day wear to an elegant evening outfit. It’s crucial that items such as shrugs or jackets are neutral in colour so they can be paired with any outfit. You can’t go too wrong with colours such as black/white. :)

This is what I wore: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code/ I didn't wear that red dress to the beach but I did all the others!