What to do......

notentirelynormal

So, I have excursions booked for both Juneau and Skagway. In Juneau our excursion ends at 4:00 with a tender back to the ship and we don’t leave port until 9:00. I’m looking for something to do in town afterwards. Same goes for Skagway. We are done at 3:00 and back on board at 8:30.

I’m looking for something to do kids wise. I’m already doing the coolest excursions but I was looking for someplace relatively cheap to go with four kids ages 6, 8, 9 and 12. A good place to shop, totem poles or even just a cool place to go to dinner with the munchkins. It can be hokey. That might be more fun than shopping although I think they may want an Alaskan t-shirt.

Suggestions please.

We had a few hours after our tour in Skagway. It was a beautiful, rather warm September afternoon - so we went swimming in the outdoor pool on the ship. It was a great way to wrap up the day. And, I'd bet the kids would think it was cool to swim in Alaska.

In Skagway, you could walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetery.... and if so inclined, then go up the short trail to the waterfall. In Juneau, I'm not sure what the Mt. Roberts tram costs, or if it is discounted for kids, but if the weather is good, the views are great.

edited to add: Youths 6-12 $16, kids 5 & under free for the Mt Roberts Tram. From here: http://mountrobertstramway.com/

I would recommend the Mt Roberts Tram ride. Might still be some snow but you can get very close to Lady Baltimore, rescued eagle, for some great pictures. Nice view of Juneau and I remember a snack bar also.

It is located right at the downtown cruise ship pier.

The contingency time between excursions and last boarding is perfect to explore the town...

• In Juneau.... I went to Tracy's crab shack from some local food. The convenient nearby Tram if the skies are clear.
  • In Skagway..... Red Onion
  • check out the souvenirs and shops.

RiaOlvSRMAk cF1l3vfKWAM

In Juneau, we were on the last "blue bus" back from Mendenhall - aka back in plenty time. In the end we ate in the MDR & just hung out on the ship...

Skagway - pretty much the same as Juneau - only we got back to the ship even earlier.

(Part of our vacations is "rest" & I don't like those "What time is it? What time to we have to be back? How long will it take?" feelings - so I am ready to read & relax after my excursions.)

Not sure that I'd take the kids to The Red Onion unless you are ready to discuss brothels and saloons with them!

LOL.... That is a good point.

I think I will go with the suggestion to just go back to the ship. I do know the kids love to swim and I'm bringing the eye goggles and nose plugs.

Yup, sounds like rest time is a good option.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.