Travel insurance experience with Cuba?

JennKach

I was looking at quotes for travel insurance (mainly med evac) on my upcoming cruise to Cuba, and Travel Guard had a message that popped up and said "Travel to the Caribbean does not include coverage for travel to Cuba unless the insured is specifically licensed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control for travel to Cuba. By Purchasing the policy, you acknowledge that this policy will not cover you for unlicensed travel to Cuba."

When I chose Cuba as the destination it said "The US government, through the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), regulates travel to the destination you have selected. To purchase this policy, you will need to mail Travel Guard a paper application for insurance, a Cuba Travel Compliance Certification (Travel Guard version) and, if you are traveling under a specific OFAC license, additional documentation. Please contact our sanctioned countries hotline at 866.375.2546 for forms and additional details."

Has anyone actually gone through the application process and been approved? I know there are other companies out there, but I prefer their product and pricing.

I thought travel insurance for Cuba was part of RCCL offering. Guess I had better go back and check my paperwork.

Cuba requires that all tourists have medical insurance. Most US insurance companies do not cover you in Cuba. It can currently be purchased from Asistur at the airport at arrival. However, the US airlines provide this required insurance as part of the ticket price. This is what the cruise line must provide. It covers treatment while in Cuba (but there are no reports online that I've seen by people who've had to use it, so hard to judge effectiveness; Cuba has great doctors, hospitals for tourists, but may lack the most modern equipment and supplies). It does not cover medical evacuation to your home country in case of an ongoing, more serious condition.

I'm looking at insurance for the entire cruise, not just in Cuba which is less than 2 days of the trip. Medical evacuation to get us home or the nearest facility if we are at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums