Where to stay in Port Liberty before cruise? Any suggestion?

We will be cruising for the first time on RCI and the first time in this port, so I was looking for a place to stay the night before when we fly in. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance. Looking forward to trying something new after 5 Disney Cruises.

We were on the Anthem and stayed at Doubletree in Jersey City. It's very convenient if you want to visit the 9/11 memorial in the city since the Path station is not far.

We stayed at the Newark Penn Station Hilton a few years ago and have reservations there again in August. It is connected to the station, so it's a quick and easy PATH ride to Manhattan. We have plans to visit the 9/11 museum and Freedom Tower, and tickets for a show the night before the cruise. Free shuttle from the airport, and an inexpensive taxi or Uber to and from the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't forget to check out the 9/11 Memorial at Cape Liberty. It is right beside the ship when it is docked. It will be on the opposite side of where you can see the Statue of Liberty. Usually starboard side of ship, if the ship is backed into the port. Very beautiful.....

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In general, depends on what your focus will be, either just a hotel to stay at nea the Port, or doing a few things that are easy to do from your hotel's location.

Closest to the port, but needing a taxi/uber and/or a more expensive train ticket to get anywhere else are hotels near Newark airport and in the Elizabeth area. Only close by attraction is a shopping mall with a movie theater. Good for an early flight after your return though.

City of Newark near the train station - as mentioned, an easy PATH "subway" into NYC or NJ Transit train (but beware of 30+ minute delays when they are repairing train tracks). The Ironbound district is the best part of the city for a tourist to go to for a good restaurant, and for the rest of the city your comfort level may vary.

My pick would be Jersey City hotels within a block or two of the Hudson river, and there are a few Hoboken hotels that are good as well - ones within a few blocks of the Exchange Place, Newport (pavoina) or Hoboken PATH stations are the best choices, especially the Hyatt if you get a good weekend rate (restaurant has great views). There are good local restaurants within a few blocks, and you can walk along the Hudson safely most of the way (some construction detours) between those stations for great views of Manhattan especially at night and from of the piers that extend out into the river. From any of the PATH stations you can easily get into either downtown or midtown Manhattan - may just require a change of train in some cases. From here, starts around $20 for Uber to Port Liberty or from the airport, more for a cab or car service.

Of course you could always stay in Manhattan - but too many options to describe here (and really not necessary).

Where is our Bayonne expert 123EAST?:cool:

Haven't seen any postings.

I am currently sitting on the Radiance in Skagway.

It would be helpful if the OP would post on the East Coast Board and provide more details like EWR flight arrival time, number of people, budget for hotel and port transportation, type of bed, and New York sightseeing objectives, if any. Cape Liberty is very much a DIY port and there are many answers depending on how you envision spending your time and money in the NY metro area.

First thank you all for your help and suggestions, people like you all are what make boards like these so helpful. Right now I am not sure if we are coming in two days before or just the day before. I would like to go see the main tourist stops in New York like Times Square and all if we come in two days early. I had planned on spending a $200 or so each night for a hotel, and looking at most of the suggestions that is about right with a few exceptions. We will not be renting a car since it would not make sense for a day or two.

Being from Michigan I'm excited to see the city and take it all in for a day or two. Also excited to see the city and the statue of liberty as we sail out.

Last year, DH & I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites near the Newark airport. I chose this one because it had an airport shuttle and a stay & cruise package where they take you to the port. We booked 2 nights before the cruise & 1 night after so we could do some sightseeing. The rooms were good (though a little old) & they had free breakfast as well. Service was good and front desk staff was very friendly. They noticed it was my birthday, helped find a discount for our rooms, gave us a room with a jacuzzi tub on the last night and also helped us store our luggage so we could sightsee before our room was ready.

Shuttle drivers were very nice (we of course tipped every time) and dropped us off at the airport terminal several times so we could ride the Newark Airtrain into the Newark Penn train station to get to NYC. The trip into NYC is a little far/pricey since you have to take the NJ transit train into the city, but we expected to spend some cash since we weren't getting a rental car. But, the location of the hotel is great if you want to be close to the port & not have to worry about getting to the boat on time.

Also great is that the hotel is directly across from a mall area. So there were several places to eat and we could also pick up snacks and stuff we forget at the mall. Would stay there again if we ever do a cruise from Bayonne again.

Shuttle drivers were very nice (we of course tipped every time) and dropped us off at the airport terminal several times so we could ride the Newark Airtrain into the Newark Penn train station to get to NYC. The trip into NYC is a little far/pricey since you have to take the NJ transit train into the city, but we expected to spend some cash since we weren't getting a rental car.

The PATH train from Newark Penn Station to the World Trade Center is $2.75 each way. We are planning to tour the 9/11 museum and Freedom Tower, before taking the subway up to Times Square for a show before reversing to return to Newark. It will be $11 total for each of us -- round trip PATH and round trip subway. I thought that was very reasonable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums