Cruising Christine turns Gold in Gold Country: an Alaska/Legend Review

Ketchikan cont'd

After hearing about the history of mortuary poles, we began our walk into the woods, towards were we would find more totems and also the clan house.

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

The forest we were walking through is actually a rainforest, specifically, a temperate rainforest. The vegetation that we saw was very interesting, particularly some trees with elaborate root systems.

IMG_2259.jpg

More walking along the trail...

IMG_2260.jpg

We eventually came to another totem, this one called "Man Wearing Bear Had." The hat is something that would be worn during a potlatch (an important occasion in which stories were shared and often dramatized). The tour guide proceeded to tell us a fascinating story about a man that witnessed the greatest fight of all time: between a bear and a killer whale. The way he told it really made us feel like we were back in time, listening to a story being told by a fellow clansman. He was really very good.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

This totem, like the others we saw before it, was also a copy. This was something that I didn't realized going into this excursion: that the totems we would see that day were copies of ones found in various places in Alaska. We also learned that totems don't last forever because eventually the wood splits and they fall apart. When that happens to totems in places like Totem Bight, they have new copies commissioned as replacements.

Ketchikan cont'd

Next up would be the clan house, again, a replica. This type of building would be the living quarters for many families to share.

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Inside the clan house. Each corner contained an identical totem pole.

IMG_2271.jpg

The center of the house contained a fire pit, with the center roof being open to allow the smoke and heat from the fire to escape.

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

This opening is would be used to defend the clan house against bears. Since food would be stored inside the house, bears would often be attracted to it.

IMG_2283.jpg

Ketchikan cont'd

After we spent awhile viewing the totem poles, we were allowed sufficient time in the gift store. They had some very beautiful small totem poles and other Native American art pieces for sale, but oh my word, were they expensive! The one souvenir that I wanted to purchase on this try was a small totem pole. I found one in a shop in Skagway for a reasonable price, and I was happy that I didn't wait until this place to buy one. I think I paid about $50 for mine, whereas the ones here were around $100-$200.

Our next stop would be the lumberjack show. I'll have to continue with that on another day. My internet is being incredibly slow, and it's taking forever to upload my pictures. Until then...

Thanks for your review of Ketchikan. I don't have an excursion booked for this port. I planned to walk around and do my shopping since many have said this is the best place to get souvenirs. But you've peaked my interest in the Totem Bight. Can I may wait until we get there to book? Will there be enough time to shop afterwards?

Thanks so much for your review! I'm planning on going to Alaska in 2021...we've got all our vacation destinations picked until then. Is it me, or have your awesome photos disappeared? I've not been able to see anything since Endicott.

Thanks so much for your review! I'm planning on going to Alaska in 2021...we've got all our vacation destinations picked until then. Is it me, or have your awesome photos disappeared? I've not been able to see anything since Endicott.

No, it's not just you. OP must have reached her capacity limit in Photobucket. I hope she returns because I am enjoying her detailed review & photos!

I don't see pictures either.