LOCAL CURRENCY or USD or CREDIT CARDS???

DrFUN

We're flying to Santiago in 8 days (12/4) for a 16-day HAL cruise from Valparaiso to Rio.

We'd be grateful for info about what currency we need in our various ports (LOCAL CURRENCY or USD or CREDIT CARDS):

--Santiago and VP (Chile)

--Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas (Chile)

--Ushuaia (Argentina)

--Stanley, Falkland Island (Argentina)

--Buenos Aires (Argentina)

--Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

--Iguacu Falls (HAL tour; Brazil flights; falls from both Brazil and Argentine sides).

Thanks!

Mary-Lou

("Dr. FUN")

First, be sure you bring the $100 per person you will need to enter Chile. While I understand they have started to accept credit cards, it is faster, and safer, to take cash...and they will not accept worn bills. Five new $20s per person are easiest.

We used credit cards for most shops, all tours, and restaurant meals throughout South America, although I did run into one shop that could not get a telephone verification on my credit card for a $40 purchase and I did pay US $ in that case (in Brazil). Since it was a tourist area (Petropolis) they had no problem taking American money. We paid for cabs and paid tips throughout our trip with American money. Just remember you will get change in local money only, so be sure you take a lot of small bills (we took $200 in ones, for example). We used American cash for street vendors and craft markets without any problems in Puerto Montt. Used credit cards for hotels, tours, etc. in Iguassu and American cash for tips again.

We did take traveler's checks, but never used them. ATMs that would take our cards were difficult to find, so we were glad we had this as a back-up, and they are easy to cash on the ship if we ran low on cash.

Does the $100 Chile fee go for entering, leaving or both? we will be flying into BA, cruiseing to Santiago, then flying out of Santiago - do we pay the $100 for arriving on the ship? Do we pay the $100 for flying out?

Ron

As I understand the reciprocity fee of $100 for US passport holders is for all arrivals in Chile - regardless of method of arrival.

They do take credit cards and are a little more flexible than previously wrt the newness of the bill(s). But, your best bet is to have nice crisp $20's in the amount of $100 for each member of your party.

You will receive a small piece of paper stamped with the date you paid - it will be stapled into your passport and is good for the life of the passport - you don't have to renew until you get a new passport.

I was also unable to find any ATM's that would accept my card, thankfully the ship had one and I was saved.

We flew into Valpairaso earlier this year. While they did take credit cards I would highly recommend having the cash in hand with you, particularly if something goes wrong with their ability to do credit card transactions and cash is the only option. It's easiest to hand them $100 US Bills. Be sure the bills look in very good condition. I gave them one bill that had a very very slight tear that I had received from our bank a few days prior to our criuse and they asked me to give them another bill instead.

We visited almost all of the same ports that you will visit. For small purchases we used US Dollars which were accepted in all locations. In fact, at many of the ports we used Internet Cafes to e mail family and friends and usually they charged one or two US Dollars for a full hour of internet access. For any larger purchases we used our credit card. We never converted any money throughout our trip.

You will visit many wonderful places. This is a beautiful area of the world.

Keith

How very nice of you to respond, Keith! Thanks so much. Will follow your advice. We fly to Santiago this Sunday. Can't WAIT.:D

We've book private tours everywhere except Ushuaia and Stanley--as I still can't decide whether to just GO there and decide in the port or whether to book something in advance.

Can you offer any advice about that? (The Beagle Channel cruise doesn't sound appealing, as I presume we'll see SOME of that--and the weather might be nasty. We did a whale-watching boat in Alaska this June and it was rainy and windy and not very productive....)

Happy holidays,

Mary-Lou

Mary-Lou, on our visit to Ushuai we picked an excursion which was called the Tierra Mayor Natural Reserve Trek. We were dropped off at the base of the Alvear mountain range where we began this trek. They provided boots. It was a beautiful day and we greatly enjoyed this.

A few other people who we knew from the cruise took an excursion called the train to the end of the world. They spoke favorably about this excursion.

Our ship did not go to Stanley so I don't have any information on excursions there.

Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise.

Keith

If you haven't already done so, it is a good idea to notify your credit card company of your intended destinations so that they don't put a freeze on your account when your card is used out of the country. That would surely put a damper on your good time.

I used US $ in the Falklands without any problems. Also charged the $10 shuttle to Gypsy Cove on my VISA without problems.

We just walked around town in Ushuaia. It is an easy town to walk in, lots of small shops, and a chocolate shop nearly every block!!! It was clear and beautiful the day we were there, but windy and cold, so we just had to stop for hot chocolate a few times! Some of the people we were with signed up for a local boat trip right on the pier and had a great time, got very close to lots of penquins.

Archived