Stockholm - cowoker pickpocketed

Just a heads up - a co-worker and her DH were pick-pocketed in Stockholm on their May cruise. Thought they got hit w/ bird poop (hair and clothes) but now think the people squirted it on them. The couple offered to help clean them up and made off w/ his wallet and her phone (luckily an old one she was just using for taking pictures and wi-fi).

I don't know if this is a well-known scheme or not, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. If you get hit w/ bird poop, don't accept any help!!!

This trick has been going on all over Europe for years. Read the TripAdvisor forums for Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Rome et al. Nothing at all new.

I always keep my wits about me, even at home in London, but even more so when we go away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This trick has been going on all over Europe for years. Read the TripAdvisor forums for Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Rome et al. Nothing at all new.

I always keep my wits about me, even at home in London, but even more so when we go away.

And also in many major US cities as well as Asia and South America. Pickpockets are in every major city.

drew69

If there are pickpockets also operating in US cities why are Americans so surprised when it happens to them in Europe. Surely it's just something that is rife in cities all over the world. These days with so much movement of people from one place to another, surely it is inevitable?

Having said that, there are places that feel safer than others.

The pick-pocketing does not surprise me. I know it goes on everywhere. I had never heard of the squirting "bird poop" (don't know if it's real or something made up to stink like it) before. That co-worker had a friend who was pick-pocketed in another country. Someone came up to them showing off their baby, and there was a fake arm attached to the baby's blanket to distract her so they could use their real arm to go into her purse.

There's some crazy people out there!!!

Starlaker

The US is far more unsafe than Europe, so surely you need to be aware of your surroundings?

Of course you always need to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. What I am saying is that most people I know travel to scenic areas (National Parks, etc.) when travelling in the US, but visit large cities when they are in Europe. Thus their surprise when they are pickpocketed in Europe. Perhaps my perception is limited since I live in the Northwest where most people are interested in hiking, camping, etc. in our beautiful outdoors. I rarely visit large cities here, but have never felt unsafe when I do. Likewise, we go to large cities when we travel to Europe and have never felt unsafe there either. My husband did get his wallet lifted in Copenhagen once, but he learned from that to keep his wallet in a front pocket.