Very Long Delays When Disembarking in Tampa from Cuba Cruise?

Cruising Photographer

When we returned from our Cuba cruise June 2nd, 2017, the line to disembark the ship was very long. Customs had set up a full station, checking passports, etc... as we disembarked. We were "self-disembarking" and didn't get through customs until about 9:45 AM. Other people were still waiting to disembark at 11:00 AM. What was your experience like when you returned to Tampa from a Cuba cruise? Is this going to be the new normal? If so, has anyone missed flights out of Tampa due to the extra long lines getting through US customs? Love your feedback. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Heading to Cuba on Empress of the Seas in Sept. Would love an update from recent cruisers.

I returned July 1.

Now granted, I was among the first 15 or so ppl to get off, but customs was pretty quick. They do not give you the form to fill out any more, so the agent asks all the questions that used to be on the form (farm, seeds, cash over $10,000, etc).

He asked about tobacco and alcohol, I told him I had 5 bottles of rum. He gave me a dirty look and said "you are 4 over the limit". Then he closed my passport, handed it back, and said "You are good to go".

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you did the "walk off" disembarkation?

My daughter and I have an 11 am flight out of Tampa. I've always been okay getting to airport on time, but after reading the posts on Cuba cruises, I am now concerned.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences getting off ship?

. I assume you did the "walk off" disembarkation?

Yes, I did walk off. It is usually my preference, since I am an early riser anyway, and I can beat potential hold ups in the terminal.

I just checked my journal notes.

Got in line in the theater @ 6:30, was in my car for the drive home @7:15.

We are just returning from an August cruise to Cuba, on the Carnival Paradise. Arriving back in Tampa, it was only about 15 minutes from when we got off the ship to when we were through passport and customs control. We were asked if we had anything to declare, which we did not, and we moved right through. It did take longer to get off the ship, likely about 30 minutes after our group was called. Including the time it took to get off the ship, carrying our own luggage, it was about 45 minutes from when our group was called to when we were at the shuttle bus pickup in Tampa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums