First time using TA, cost the same as Cruise line?

14thmed

I use a TA who specializes in cruises and works from home. However, she is part of a large consortium that often has specials for certain cruises. She hates people to ask her to do whole custom trips and then have them shift her work to a discount agency etc. If you called her and said, "What perks are you offering?", she would not solicit your business. But, if you book with her, she always is super generous about on board credits and gifts (from her commission), plus will quote you what her consortium is offering. Sometimes her consortium can get a much better deal plus things like free breakfasts or meals or upgrades with hotels. She never charges to change anything--most discount firms will...so if you want to change your cabin, change your dates, add a back-to-back, she is more than willing to jump through those hopes. Finally, on several occasions people traveling with us have had to cancel due to illness or family issues. If she purchased the insurance for you, she does ALL the complex paperwork as part of her service--for no commission. And she truly cares about the experience you have had. In the end, I always get lots more with my TA, plus all kinds of hand-holding and advice.

We must have the same TA! The thing I like best is her 24/7 availability and immediate response to questions or desire to book a cruise. Last December, only 24 days out from a scheduled cruise for myself and a friend, he passed away. My TA, although equally upset as myself, immediately swung into action and helped me get a full cruise refund, as well as full refund from the non-refundable hotel and flight costs!

Our TA doesn't make any commission on any cruise she books. It is literally the same price as the website, usually with more extras thrown in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you serious? So your TA works for zero income? Wonder how he/she pays their bills. Personally, I want my cruise agency or travel agency to makes lots of money since that is what keeps them in business. My only interest is the bottom line which is the actual deal we get. If an agent can save me thousands of dollars....we hope they are well compensated. On our upcoming 38 day HAL cruise we were able to save some major money (when compared to the cruise line's own site). Our savings would easily be enough to pay for a 7 day cruise with plenty of change left over.

Hank

Here in the U.K., places often offer a "we will match online prices" tagline, because they still get paid the same hourly wage nonetheless. We have a living wage, which everyone over 25 has to have legally. Then the TA would make commission on flights, hotels, transfers, attraction tickets, rental cars etc.... just not cruises.

We've always used our Big Box TA - prices have usually been the the same/similar as the HAL site offerings. Where the "savings" come in is pre-paid gratuities, OBC or other perks.

For our upcoming cruise, we had already made final payment (but before it was due) and saw a significant price drop. Called her up and she got us the difference back, taking care of the whole transaction with a single call.....

I favor a TA its the same price if you book thru a TA or the cruise line just make sure you ask for a TA that's has a lot of cruise experience makes a big difference TA will log into the official cruise line site to book and if you have any issues while traveling call your TA they can get things done a little better than if you try to call your self such as airlines,cruise lines,or any other issues i got lucky i got really good TA that knows her ship:D