orders for rum cakes

pfarmmom

It is alot of fun to go to the store and be able to taste many of the flavors of the rum cakes, but I found that they sell them for about the same price on the ship and then you don't have to haul them around with you on shore.

Going to the factory gives you a bigger selection of flavors. I was able to get Pineapple choc one. The stores at the pier sell jsut the basic flavors.

A small cake sells for a little less then 5 bucks. the bigger ones sell closer to 30.00

When buying them on the ship-- be careful to look at expiration dates. Last cruise--some were very close to expiring. These cakes have a shelf life of up to 6 months. (again the ship only carries basic flavors)

• 3 weeks later...

Like one of the above posters said the main Tortuga Store is when you get off of the tender, make a left, go down the street until you see a white church. The place is right next to it and the poster is correct in that there is a pirate standing right by the door. Of course it is a statue not a live one.;)

Marilyn

Like one of the above posters said the main Tortuga Store is when you get off of the tender, make a left, go down the street until you see a white church. The place is right next to it and the poster is correct in that there is a pirate standing right by the door. Of course it is a statue not a live one.;)

Marilyn

That would be the old Blackbeard's Rum cake company store. It's now closed, and the pirate graces another sidewalk in Georgetown.

The main Tortuga Rum Cake factory is in an industrial area nearer the airport. Any cabbie can take you there. There is a smaller centre next to the Turtle Farm where rum cakes are baked and this is set up for you to watch the process through a window.

There are many other Tortuga Rum Cake company retail outlets in the Georgetown area. All sell rum cakes for the same prices, and most (if not all) sell duty free Tortuga Rum. Yum...

BTW, the locals have a special place in our hearts for the Tortuga Rum Cake company. The Hamaty family which owns the company were great at coordinating relief shipments in the wake of Hurricane Ivan in 2004. They generously used their Miami warehouse to stage MANY ship-loads (and plane loads) of supplies, and donated much local transportation getting these materials to the cargo faciliteis at the ports and airport. Hoorah!

Just got off Voyager 2 days ago and bought three large Tortuga Rum Cakes in Grand Cayman. If you are stopping at Grand Cayman, there is a a Tortuga shop just to the left of the pier (only a couple of steps away). I bought the cakes right before I had to reboard the ship so I didn't carry them around all day. We did end up buying one cake on the ship, but the advantage to buying at Tortugas is that there is more selection of flavors and sizes. Plus, you get to TRY all the flavors. Just down from the Turtle Farm is the Tortuga Factory. Although we didn't make it there, it's another option.

Archived