What's allowed for extension cords at Port Canaveral? Royal Caribbean coming up...

LeopardQueen

I'll be crusting on the 17th and I could not get an answer from RC - they said it would be up to the port. Anyone travel from PC recently? What am I allowed to bring on for extra outlets/USB ports? I've seen so much conflicting information. That a power strip (not surge connector) is fine, but that other times they've been confiscated. Anyone know? TIA and I'm sure I'll have more questions. :)

The scientific answer is, anything that isn't surge protected. If you only need more outlets, a "splitter" with no SP will be good. If you need an extension, such as to get a CPAP power to the bed, I suggest an appliance extension one plug to one outlet. And then if you need charging outlet(s) too, you can get an ADAPTER (not converter, most modern chargers can take 220 as well as 110V) for the two round plug European outlet also in the room.

Another option is to contact RC's ship services FOR YOUR SPECIFIC SHIP AND SAILING, and request a multi-plug extension cord, to cover all bases. I have not sailed with RCI (yet) but that is a common request on HAL as so many use CPAP anymore.

anything that isn't surge protected.

That sums it up neatly. :)

We prefer a short extension lead, because sometimes the socket is in a difficult-to-reach place and its not possible to plug in a clumsy big splitter.

But different people, different ships, different experiences. So there's no right or wrong choice, other than ensuring it doesn't include a surge-protector.

JB :)

Interesting you were told it would be up to the port. If the cord were packed in your suitcase (most likely scenario) how would the port even know about it? I thought the bags were screened on the ship, or am I mistaken?